mtbr member
    May 2011

New question here. Clearance issue: Scrub Workhorse w/ Avid XX

Hi there,

I had on my bike the full Avid Elixir XX brakes including the cleansweep rotors (2010), and when I recently broke the base of the front lever while looking for the replacement parts I came across some nice looking Scrub Workhorse rotors.

To compliment the rotors I got new Kool Stop Organic brake pads, as I'm not supposed to use metallic pads I already had, and I bled the system of the newly installed front lever.

When I installed the Scrub Workhorse rotors and the Kool Stop Organic brake pads, I had zero clearance for them to spin, they fitted so tight that it was very difficult to install the wheel without having to pry the pads with the disc to sit in position.

I re-bled both front and rear systems with the Avid red block and turned the "pad contact in" adjust knob all the way, but I'm still having the same issue: no clearance and when riding it feels like the brakes are half-way pressed.

With the Avid cleansweep and the metallic pads (bit worn out) I have plenty of room. With the same cleansweep rotor and Kool stop organic pads, the clearence is tight and it rubs, but they don't lock-up the wheel.

With the Scrub Workhorse if I install the worn out metallic pads just to check clearance, they rub a bit, but don't lock-up the wheel.

So it seems both the Scrub Workhorse rotors and the new Koll Stop organic pads are a bit thicker than what I had, and 1+1 equals too bulky to roll.

Any suggestions?

Clearance issue: Scrub Workhorse w/ Avid XX-img_3727.jpg

P.S.: nothing wrong with the Avid cleansweep rotors, but the red Scrub Workhorse look so cool on my red Crankbrothers Cobalt wheels, I just would like to install them...

mtbr member
    Nice looking rotors man. Are you sure the pistons are fully retracted? Try releasing some fluid from the system.