Thread: Cleaning rotors

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Cleaning rotors

I need to clean my disc rotors and wondering what everyone recommends to do this...disc brake cleaner (automotive), alcohol, etc? Something that will not "contaminate" the rotor afterwards.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

Isopropyl alcohol...

works for me... evaporates almost instantly.. and leaves no residue... besides it is fairly cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by HTail
    I need to clean my disc rotors and wondering what everyone recommends to do this...disc brake cleaner (automotive), alcohol, etc? Something that will not "contaminate" the rotor afterwards.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    works for me... evaporates almost instantly.. and leaves no residue... besides it is fairly cheap.
    Yep, I've been using it for 6-yrs...never a problem with any of the brakes I've used (Hopes, Magura, Formulas and Shimanos)! Cleans well, dries fast and no residue. Perfect!
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

A wheelist

What those guys say is what most (all?) brake makers recommend.

Mike T. (mcm # 717, FOG)
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

thats my red stapler

i prefer auto disc brake cleaner although alcohol is probably cheaper
    [SIZE=2]when the going gets tough the world gets reduced to one pedal stroke at a time[/SIZE]

Bodhisattva
    WD-40.

Just kidding.

Isopropyl alcohol is cheap & works great.
    Life....the original terminal illness

A wheelist
    I like the line under your post -

"Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"

It's very similar to what frame builder Ted Wojcik said a few years ago -

"No bike frame is clearly better than any other. It still comes down to a pair of legs and a heart above them. What we really sell here is hope - hope of improved performance, hope of pride of ownership and hope it will last a long time."

A realistic man who I assume was void of any BS!

Mike T. (mcm # 717 & FOG)
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

just along for the ride
    I second a can of 99 cent brake cleaner. I once spilt a real beer (IPA) into my front caliper, opps, out came the can of cleaner and just by keeping a rag under the caliper I was able to quickly clean it out with the spray without any side effects. In fact those pads are still going strong after 500 miles and they are the cheapo resin types.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Funny but true...

Yeah I felt like such a newbie-dope asking that question- at the time in ok shape but still seeking the mystical bike frame that will do the climbing for me! With that said, I do believe some bikes are better than others, some have a different feel/geometry but with a good engine (you) can get anything to the top one way or another. With the use of 9 speeds and the glorious 34 tooth granny, it really does make almost any well designed bike a descent climber.

Thanks for the rotor cleaning advice all.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

A wheelist
    still seeking the mystical bike frame that will do the climbing for me! With that said, I do believe some bikes are better than others, some have a different feel/geometry but with a good engine (you) can get anything to the top one way or another.

Seeing as I've been out-climbed twice decisively (and I used to consider myself a climber) by people on low end (like $150 range) bikes while I've been on my late carbon frame and a Bontrager Race Lite I know fully that the bike plays a very small part in the equation and the rider a very big part.