mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Cleaning disc brakes

Had shop LBS repack my hubs, now my disc brakes don't stop as well and they squeal. Any suggestions for cleaning.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    After any wet or dusty ride i clean my rotors using alcohol wipes that u get in a first aid kit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    If you got grease on the pads you might as well get new pads. Clean your rotors with Isopropyl alcohol.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarr999 View Post
    Had shop LBS repack my hubs, now my disc brakes don't stop as well and they squeal. Any suggestions for cleaning.
    Thanks

So you're telling me your lbs did not removed the rotors prior to a major grease fest all over your wheels ?

Or that you didn't even though about it ?

Well I'll remove the rotors, clean them real hard with isopropyl alcohol (I use 99.9% one), then do the same with the pads, then sand down the pads a bit to remove any residue, then clean them again with isopropyl alcohol, then do a light sanding on the rotors if you think it's needed, clean and let everything dry good for a few minutes. Get some white (clean) gloves if you're not too handy with wrenching and reinstal the rotors with blue loctite on the bolts, torque to specs, then do the same for the calipers, adjust everything, etc. Then bed them in before your next ride to be sure you don't get any surprises.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarr999 View Post
    Thanks
    Warm soapy water...then rinse.

Fine sand paper and pinch rotor and rotate through several times...

After that you get into pad cleaning.

LightJunction.com
    Isopropyl alcohol or Finish Line Speed Clean (yellow can/safe for disc brakes) should do the trick for your rotors. I usually rub them down with fine grit sandpaper or some 3M pads. The brake pads are the real concern. If grease or oil has gotten on them, they're likely contaminated. You can try pulling out the pads and filing them down with sandpaper, but in my experience that's usually just a temporary fix.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for the tips. Really didn't want to start getting used to the new braking distance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    so once you get grease on the pads, their done??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onebigpssy View Post
    more than likely yes

Some have degreased or sanded or heated "greased" pads up in a toaster oven or pan till the smoke stops. It has been covered many many times on here.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by onebigpssy View Post
    Like Katzi said, if sanding(or burning) and cleaning doesn't work right away, the best is to get new pads.

Since that easy to say, it's up to you to see what you wanna do. But if your lbs did not remove your rotor before spilling grease all over the hubs, you might wanna discuss about it with them.

Even if new pads are only $15-20, I would try to sand them, clean with alcohol and then fried them with the brake side up and the metal back plate down on the pan. You don't have anything to loose, beside time. And it's always fun to do bike stuff in the kitchen
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

disc brakes

i want to know if there is any kind of thing that take off that squeal noise in my state it doesnt have squeal it out or kinda these things

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by artkosova View Post
    i want to know if there is any kind of thing that take off that squeal noise in my state it doesnt have squeal it out or kinda these things
    Yes it is possible, but only on a Friday the 13th.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by artkosova View Post
    Despite your staunch refusal to use punctuation, Brake Quiet, such as this sprayed on the backing of the brake pads, allowed to set for 10ish minutes, and reinstalled, will remove any squeaks and squeals caused by vibration.

Volatile chemicals cannot be shipped to non-commercial entities, but I find it hard to believe that you have no auto-mechanic shops near you at all. This is not an uncommon item; even the worst stocked DIY auto store will have it.