mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Cleaning Disc Brake Pads?

What should I use to clean pads in Avid Mechanicals? I cleaned the rotors w/ Brake Cleaner, but don't know what to use for the pads.

Tracking up the place
    Quote Originally Posted by richardchen
    What should I use to clean pads in Avid Mechanicals? I cleaned the rotors w/ Brake Cleaner, but don't know what to use for the pads.

ahh what did you do??? Rubbing alcohol and paper towels on the rotor...no spray lubes near bike... If those pads are contaminated there are no good...little fincky bugger they are.. I buy three set of pads for the year.. 1 front 1 back and spare set i case I screw them up.. alchol will clean rotors just fine...call Avid they'll let you in on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Haroow
    ahh what did you do??? Rubbing alcohol and paper towels on the rotor...no spray lubes near bike... If those pads are contaminated there are no good...little fincky bugger they are.. I buy three set of pads for the year.. 1 front 1 back and spare set i case I screw them up.. alchol will clean rotors just fine...call Avid they'll let you in on it.

I agree 100%, I used a spray on my rotors and forget it, pads became contaminated...they squawked and vibrated and drove me around the bend. Got new pads, cleaned the rotors and now they work better than ever, great stopping power too. Hayes Mechs