mtbr member

Is Clean Streak ok on brake pads?

Was it a bad idea for me to clean my brake pads using White Lightning's Clean Streak? Braking power seems diminished. I'm a bit worried that I may have just made a $40 blunder.

Meh.
    Since when do pads cost 40 bucks?

You'll probably need to rebed them.

I hate using that stuff around brakes. It makes them squeal until you ride it for a while.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Since when do pads cost 40 bucks?
    Front and rear.

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I hate using that stuff around brakes. It makes them squeal until you ride it for a while.
    I actually did all the cleaning to get rid of a squeal. So far, so good, though I've only been around the neighborhood one time.

The other thing that I did was to swap the pads around. My LBS had put one each of organic and metal on both front and rear. I changed things so that the two organic pads are in the back, and the two metal pads are in the front. I also cleaned and lightly sanded the pads.

The shuddering seems to be gone, and I hope it stays gone. I hope the noise stays gone too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    A set of front & rears cost around $40.

try cleaning them with rubbing alchohol. Some folks around here have luck "cooking" the pads to burn off any goo in them...I've never tried it.

Members who have read this thread: 0