mtbr member

Is Clean Streak ok on brake pads?

Was it a bad idea for me to clean my brake pads using White Lightning's Clean Streak? Braking power seems diminished. I'm a bit worried that I may have just made a $40 blunder.

Meh.
    Since when do pads cost 40 bucks?

You'll probably need to rebed them.

I hate using that stuff around brakes. It makes them squeal until you ride it for a while.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Since when do pads cost 40 bucks?
    Front and rear.

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I hate using that stuff around brakes. It makes them squeal until you ride it for a while.
    I actually did all the cleaning to get rid of a squeal. So far, so good, though I've only been around the neighborhood one time.

The other thing that I did was to swap the pads around. My LBS had put one each of organic and metal on both front and rear. I changed things so that the two organic pads are in the back, and the two metal pads are in the front. I also cleaned and lightly sanded the pads.

The shuddering seems to be gone, and I hope it stays gone. I hope the noise stays gone too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    A set of front & rears cost around $40.

try cleaning them with rubbing alchohol. Some folks around here have luck "cooking" the pads to burn off any goo in them...I've never tried it.