mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Clarks Skeletal Brakes

Has anyone had or has a set of these? If so how do you feel about them? Thanks for your imput
    Last edited by RussoJ; 04-21-2010 at 07:43 PM.
    Soul Cycles Dillinger

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    So I decided to just get them and see how they work out. First impression, the attention to detail is pretty decent, super easy to setup, and operate very smoothly. Only have about 2 or so hrs on them but stopping power is strong and I see them getting better as they break in more. If I were to suggest them to anyone I would say go head and try them because they are well worth the money ..... also another good thing is they even come with a extra set of pads to top it all off!
    Soul Cycles Dillinger

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Wat is the price for a set? My front mechanical disc are a pain in @$$

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RussoJ
    So I decided to just get them and see how they work out. First impression, the attention to detail is pretty decent, super easy to setup, and operate very smoothly. Only have about 2 or so hrs on them but stopping power is strong and I see them getting better as they break in more. If I were to suggest them to anyone I would say go head and try them because they are well worth the money ..... also another good thing is they even come with a extra set of pads to top it all off!
    Now that is definitely pro-review level, one time use impressions I can dig into. Who sells them and how long will it take me to get them?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    Now that is definitely pro-review level, one time use impressions I can dig into. Who sells them and how long will it take me to get them?
    Got mine from my LBS for $180 for the pair, but I'v seen them online for a bit less online from Chain Reaction. Nto sure on time frame from them though.
    Soul Cycles Dillinger

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Has anyone put some time on these and have a bit more info/review? I am working on a nerdy color build, and they peak my interest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Wow

For that kind of money you could buy Formula's. Are you kidding!

cheapskate cynic
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RussoJ
    Has anyone had or has a set of these? If so how do you feel about them? Thanks for your imput
    This is for anyone positing the same quesiton as RussoJ. I have been running a pair for a year which I bought 70.00 each from Rutland Cycles (they're 60.00 now). Good brake - lovely design/feel & great stopping power.

However, DO NOT BUY THEM. You cannot get spares for them anywhere. I needed a new diaphragm coz I fried one with the wrong oil - genuine but boneheaded mistake. Contacted Clarks who don't know who their dealers are but said that spares kits exist (see their website).Contacted several supposed Clarks dealers who don't stock spares despite selling the brakes. One rang me back today who had been told by Clarks that their brakes are a 'fit and throw' product.

So here we are 20.00 light on phone calls. Didn't turn out to be such a good deal did it. Hope others learn from my massive (pennypinching) mistake.
    Last edited by piggybladder; 12-17-2010 at 01:18 PM.

cheapskate cynic
    Aug 2010

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Update

Oh and I forgot to mention that the supplied rotors are not true which means you cannot tighten as much as you would otherwise. However the system is Shimano compatible so I'll be purchasing some Shimano rotors off Flea-bay, adding more irritatingly unnecessary expense.

And lastly a big thumbs up to OnYerBike - the only effing dealer in the whole of the UK who could/would be bothered to get me a diaphragm for the princely sum of 5 & all in the space of 2 hours . It only took about 3 months worth of my time and the aforesaid cost of phone calls to get to this point. Shame on Evans and all the other so-called dealers with their bs.
    Last edited by piggybladder; 12-17-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Site Owner
    i've been fitting these today and have had a real problem getting them to run without rubbing. i only paid 85 for a pair of SX Skeletal's so at least i have them at a budget price

mtbr member
    My brother bought a set of these from our LBS and they had so many probelms within the first 2 weeks they yanked them off and returned them, replaced them with Elixir 5's.
    They were a POS, the rear caliper failed completely on the first ride, warranty replaced with one that kept leaking and getting air in the line until it failed gloriously like the first one.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by piggybladder
    Shame on Evans and all the other so-called dealers with their bs.
    Evans hold a big distinction.

They're the only shop I've ever had to threaten with legal action to get a response out of, all over a set of faulty cranks.

cheapskate cynic
    Aug 2010

Re: BrumBrum

Chances are the rotors aren't true. Mine never were straight outta the box. However I got mine set up okay. Slacken off the IS bolts. Then slam the brake lever on. Tightening the IS bolts with the brake on gets you in the right ballpark. Then flip the effin bike upside down, spin the wheel and trim by eye/noise. Not perfect but useable.

Alternatively waste a shitload of money on decent rotors. 185mm? See how much you pay for these (30.00 each). Or buy more common size rotors AND new IS brackets - works out the same cost more or less.

In the end I bought a new set of carbon pads (nominally any Magura Marta should fit but may need a very slight dremelling to drop in properly). These are slightly slimmer than the supplied sintered pads making it easier to get a noiseless fit. But cost another 20.00 for 2 pairs. Not such a bargain eh. Get the picture.
    Last edited by piggybladder; 12-17-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Site Owner
    Thanks for the advice. Another problem i've had is with the pad securing pin. I took this out just to inspect the new pads, screwed it back on and now the allen key slot on the pin is rounded. So i am stuck for ideas on how to remove it? If i can find a way to take it out i'm sure i can replace it with a tiny split pin, but don't know how best to remove. any ideas?

Andrew

Site Owner
    Just a quick update on the fitting and using of these Hydraulic brakes.

Both discs with the kit were warped! so constant rubbing that cannot be eliminated.
    mounting bracket bolts (allen key) - have all rounded after a few adjustments and i've had to hacksaw into them and remove them with a screwdriver.

and as in my above post, the pad pins have very very delicate heads.

I have now had to acquire new bolts for the whole kit(front n back) to avoid more rounded heads, i've also ordered a new front rotor to replace the badly warped original. I will also be replacing the rear rotor

You get what you pay for, and in this case you pay for a pain in the Ar$e set-up

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Does anyone now how to cut the hose on the clarks sx because i have the necessary part but which end of the brake, calliper or lever?

cheers jack

Site Owner
    There is a tutorial on their website on shortening the hose, they do it from the lever.

here: http://www.clarkscycles.com/index.ph.../how-to-videos

Master of Disaster
    BikeRadar recently published results from their comparison of 19 different brakes. Avid Code R was way out on top while Clarks Skeleton was way out on the bottom. The other brakes were grouped in the middle.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/ar...c-brakes-24345