mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Clarks Organic Elixir Pads

Hello.

I just ordered some of these pads from CRC for dirt cheap. I've been using SwissStop sintered but they constantly do a high pitched squeal that I can not seem to get rid of so I thought I'd give these a try as the original organic pads were fine.

Has anyone tried them before? How shitty can they be for 6 euros a pair?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Since nobody replied, I'm updating this myself.

The pads came in the mail today and I installed them this evening.

They are indeed quite thick compared to other pads but not significantly so that you have trouble installing them. After I pushed the pistons back completely everything went on normally just as it should. I'm mentioning this because some reviews of the elixir clarks pads said that it was impossible to get the rotor through the pads because of their thickness. I had no such problem and actually the rotor is spinning freely without any rubbing front and rear.

I did not have time to hit the trails today so I just took the bike out for a spin an hour ago to do the brake bed-in. There is a small hill nearby so I kept climbing up there and then going down and start braking as soon as I was going fast, until I got to walking speed. Then up the hill again and repeat. I did this first for the rear brake and then the front about 6-7 times each. The calipers got quite hot so I guess it was enough.

Braking power seemed sufficient on pavement but I will have to wait and test it on the technical downhills before I can have a complete opinion.

The main reason I switched to organic pads was the high pitched "chchchch" sound my swissstop sintered pads were making, which was driving me nuts! Don't get me wrong, those brake pads were like anchors and I strongly suggest them, I just could not live with the sound. Let it be noted that I'm not referring to the infamous avid turkey gobble or howling, this is just a high pitched periodic noise which I was unable to get rid of and I have come to the conclusion that is just caused by the metal-to-metal friction of sintered pads.

The clarks pads were silent as heaven through the bed-in process and I hope it stays this way! If it does, it's going to be the best 12 euros (for 2 pairs, from CRC!) I have ever spent! Sure they may last less (we're gonna have to see about that) than sintered, but if this is the price I have to pay for SILENCE, I'm game!

I'll try to remember to come back for a longer-term review as I push them to their limits on my Sovereign this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Good for you, fuunyh thing is I am switching out my organic pads for sintered on my formula rx brakes, because of the noise the organics made.

So far so good, sintered don't squeel like the organics. The metal on metal rubbing sound dsnt bother me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here is the sound I'm talking about for reference. This doesn't happen so far with the organic pads.

Fourni Steps #1 - YouTube

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm running these pads with Juicy 5's and G2 rotors. They are basically silent and work great. I never had Avid brakes this quiet.