Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

are clark brakes decent?

hi, just wondering if anyone has tried out clark 6pot disc brakes, and if so are they good? also is it worth getting them with 203mm rotors? thanks
    Lol, get a step stool and put it in a doorway. Then stand on it and jump up until you slam your head on the doorway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    bumping this becasue I have the same question. I'm starting to see them on ebay and on www.chainreactioncycles.com Anyone have them? The are made in England and I found a couple reviews from Brit riders but nothing on MTBR or any US forums.

Model is Clarks SX SKELETAL Hydraulic at http://www.clarkscycles.com/index.ph...ydraulic-brake

at $80 with rotors if they work they might be worth trying. The come in Colors too!.. if you into that kind of thing.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    whoa, those look awesome, especially the price. As long as they don't squeal, i might just be upgrading to hydros a bit earlier than expected!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I just ordered a pair, won't have them on the bike until I find a used 120mm 29er fork (anybody got one), but as soon as I do I'll report back.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm guessing you ordered the skeletal, right? i don't know if you have any experience with the Hayes Stroker ryde or trail, but those are the others i'm interested in so any kind of comparison would be super helpful. take pics when you get them

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Can anyone post pics? I'm interested as well but I'm always leery of "good deals". Going front/rear Skeletals would save me 120 grams over my Avids I'm just hoping they're up to par...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    any news? did you get them yet and if so, how do they look?

mtbr member
    Anyone have any rides on these? Thinking about a pair for my Mama.
    I turn a wrench @ Simplicity Cycles
    http://www.simplicity-cycles.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just ordered a pair. Ill keep you guys updated.

mtbr member
    They appear to be available in many colours......

mtbr member
    I spoke to a buddy in CA that works at a shop. They just fot a pair for demo and he said to save my money. The design is clean, but he questions the durability/longevity. I bit the bullet and ordered some XT 775s. They seem to be the better brake over what Avid has to offer and until I get the coin for some Hopes.
    I turn a wrench @ Simplicity Cycles
    http://www.simplicity-cycles.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Just ordered a set from my LBS. Look like a sweet setup for the money. Will post when I get some time in on them.
    Rolling the Fattys

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    just ordered some... will report...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i have clarks front hydraulic disks on my marin, in the biggest size (200mm?). i bought from an ebay seller in uk. they are great, VERY powerful stopping, but also very easy to moderate and dont grab although occasionally rub but i suppose thats a bit of grit or something!

seem like a high quality bit of kit.

i fitted them must be getting on for two years ago, and havnt had any trouble with them, in spite of fitting em myself (was then new to disk brakes and bikes in general). tbh i never think about them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    any update on the Clarks Skeletal ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well I got a rear Clarks SX skeletal brake in 185mm guise to try out.

Manufacturers RRP is 69.99, about $102 at current exchange rate

Chainreactioncycles have them at 45, about $65.

Those prices are for the lever, caliper, rotor, rotor bolts, caliper bolts and a spare set of brake pads. So not a bad deal.

Hose length is 1490mm on my set and the standard black PTFE type. I've seen they do a braided set.

So, first impressions. Well quality looks OK. The caliper is a single forged body and looks similar in size and shape to an early Hayes model. The powder coat finish is slightly rippled and you can see a line from the mould. Looks strong though and is a lighter body than the early Hayes.

The Post to IS mount looks like an Avid type one but is thinner. Bolts are your cheapy steel type with washers.

For pad replacement there is tiny pad retaining pin and they slip out at the back, rather than the toploading i'm used to with the shimano brakes. One plus is that the pistons are magnetic (on my set anyway) and the pads just 'found' their way in place. Super easy.
    I don't like the retaining pin though as it just seems abit weak and it's tiny. About 70% smaller than a shimano pad retaining pin.

The brake lever body is again a single forged piece in the now in vogue 'servo' style.It looks and feels solid. The body is a split clamp design which i love. The lever design feels great and it's a solid bit of metal. There is a nice wide flat profile which i prefer to my shimano brakes (m756 lever). You could fit 3 fingers on the lever profile. At the top of the lever are 2 adjustment screws. One adjusts the lever reach and the other adjusts the pads.

The pads look tiny. I took a picture compared to the other brakes i run at the moment. Top is a M755 shimano XT 4 pot brake pad, then a M800 Saint pad and the bottom is the Clarks SX pad. I reckon it is at least 10% smaller than the M800 pad.

Well, that's the cosmetics. How do they feel?

Grabby, or is that 'sharp' in other peoples vocab? But then this is them new out of the box. The only brake, so far, that felt nice (nice=not too grabby and modulated well) new out of the box was a shimano Deore ones (M535) Also, i'm running a 185mm rotor as well. I adjusted the lever closer to the bar and for some reason that felt much better. I can feel abit of modulation so maybe once worn in there will be more.

They are strong though. Maybe it's due to the piston size being larger than the Saint M800 model and the pad area been smaller. Pressure=Force/Area. Maybe. (I measure a Saint M800 piston at 16mm diameter and the Clarks SX model at 20mm - so 25% larger)

I've only used them on a few short blasts on my play bike and they certainly feel like they are up to the job and the white matches my bike And for that style of riding the brake suits it.
    I will see how they hold up but for now i'm reasonably happy.

Would i buy them again?

Well at 45 (($65) from CRC it's hard to pass up. In the same region as Shimano Deore brake but you get spare pads and a rotor. Sold.

If you had to pay full RRP of 70 ($102) then that's a harder question. I mean, CRC are doing Shimano SLX brakes for 65 ($94) per end.....well, that's a tougher choice.

Pros:

Lever design is good.
    Caliper power is good.
    Good value.

Cons:

Finishing quality (Cheapy bolts, paint finish)
    Longevity

Here are some comparison shots. I mean, the shimano 'mono-forged' stuff just looks nicer, imo.

I feel like these Clarks SX are like a 1st generation feel. raw, experimental and awaiting the next tweak. it certainly shows that Clarks have potential.

That last shot is a shimano M756 lever ontop of the Clarks SX. no adjustments made. The M756 version is really for 2 fingers max. Whereas the Clarks can be for 3 fingers - and it feels nicer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    thanks mate thats a great review - do you have any weights ?

i'm not a fan of shimano brakes so these look interesting...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well using my fishing scales the brakes weigh in at 380gms. (so that's the lever, hose, caliper, brake mount and bolts)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    thanks

thats not bad on the weight side either then - for the money

Zoolander07
    does anyone know, will these be any good for freeride or are they only for xc/all mountain?
    with more travel comes more responsibility, so get a bike with adjustable geometry!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Those are Magura Marta Pads, interesting....2 sets of pads for $65? Plus free back-up brake...
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    How about the clark's brake pads only used in shimano XTs? are they any good?

mtbr member
    bump for any more reviews of these brakes

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jimjimthehumanbin
    Well using my fishing scales the brakes weigh in at 380gms. (so that's the lever, hose, caliper, brake mount and bolts)
    Am I right understand, that it is 380 gramms without rotor? So what about rotor weight?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    They are absolute JUNK!

Clarks Skeletal Hydraulic Brakes

The lines felt like cheap plastic hoses and they crack very very easily. Not quality at all as you would see with Shimano. Hayes, or Avid. The bleed fittings are huge and an abnormal size which means most bleed kits will not work on it. The threads on the bleed fittings dont seal very well and you can actually draw air into the brake with them. The metal feels very soft and cheap as well. Also the fittings they send to use if you shorten the lines aren't great either and its hard to get a good seal on those as well. I took it to another LBS and he said they had considered buying those brakes but they decided to stick with what brands they knew and used. Also after the brakes heat up they get very squishy. The powercoat is low quality and very thin and will come off extremely easy. They don't work well, the quality of the fit and finish isn't great, they are not easy to bleed, and it over all feels like a very cheap brake. Instead of paying $160-$220 for these F&R you can go on ebay and get a brand new set of Hayes Stroker Trails or Avid Elixirs etc for $150-$200 for front and rear. Shops have their parts in stock or readily available and they are a much safer bet. Hope this helps

I don't want anyone else to end up buying something based off a good review I wrote and then in reality they ended up failing. This time I happened to be wrong, really wrong. They could have alot of potential but they need to be made with better quality materials and some other small changes. I hate to say it but I think because its a decent looking brake in a wide variety of colors might be its best selling point.

I left a message and they still have yet to call me back. I called J&B their distributor and they gave me a number and I left a message on it too and they never called back. I got these because of that review in dirt rag. It's not just a bad pair the quality is horrible of all the parts and finishes. I just bought a set of hayes and I run them on my other bike as well so I'm sticking to what's safe from now on. Alot of shops arent carrying them because of this stuff as well as my lbs I got them from. All I can say is try at your own risk but if you do use them GET good hoses at least.

I have always been very big on good brakes even in my bmx days. For my road bikes I use Cane Creek SCR-5. For my GT Force Mountain Bike I use Hayes Stroker Ace and for my Haro Sonix I use Hayes Stroker Trails. I've used Avid Code, Shimano Saint, Juicy 7, Hayes Stroker Ryde, and Avid BB7s. I am pretty much the guy most come to to set up their brakes for them. I'm just very picky about how they work. I really hope your set works out. Are you going to cut them down or bleed them? Good luck on the lines being un-kinked just because of how they are.

Half my issues were with performance and the other half was with build quality and fit and finish. They just aren't really as good as many out there for the same price nor do they have the quality or readily available parts as most. I am very critical of brakes probably more than most. I gave these a shot and for me they didn't cut it. They make work ok for some but overall I do not see them lasting very long or working well for a lenthy period of time. The bleeding process is alot messier than most as well. The choice is yours to make They have a good idea going but they kind of failed to execute the whole package by lack of quality.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast