mtbr member

Choice - 2010 XX or 2012 XT M785?

Which brakeset would you personally choose if you had the choice between a near immaculate set of 2010 XX brakes and a brand new set of 2012 XT's?

The S-works stumpy I'm about to buy has the XX brakes on it, but I've been offered the XT M785's instead if I want them.

I have the M775's on my other two bikes and love them.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Personally, I'd go with the Shimanos. I used to have the 775's, and can tell from experience, the XT 785's are indescribably better than the 775's. And I really, really liked the 775's. If you like one finger braking, the 785's are THE brakes to have.

As for the XX's, I've heard horror stories about all kinds of bleed problems, brake shudder and levers suddenly pulling to the bar, which is the main reason I'd choose the Shimanos over the XX's. That being said, the brakes are awesomely light and the carbon bling is, well, bling. I also really like the lever geometry.

mtbr member
    I agree with Anlin. I haven't rode the Shimano's, but can attest to the XX issues.

One Gear
    Get the XT's! They're awesome. I've been on them for a month and still need to be careful grabbing too much brake at one time. Easy setup, easy to shorten the hoses, and you don't need to bleed them out of the box. I haven't tried the newer Avid's, but the Juicy's blow chunks.

Good luck

mtbr member
    A friend of mine almost killed himself with the XX's on his S-works SJ-HT. Even after bleeding and adjusting till they "felt" perfect, they had marginal power. A quick swap to 988's (weight weenie version) and Voila!! Great brakes.

I personally run the 985's and absolutely love them.
    Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS