Unshaven Yak

Cheapest conversion Hayes to Avid?

I have a friend who has Hayes hydro 8 inchers front & rear. They have been nothing but trouble for the last six months though & he wants to convert to Avid mechs for reliability but wants to save the most cash he can in the process.

If he could just buy the standard 6" Avids then use his old rotors & adaptors, he'd save a few bucks, can it be done this way?

Will Hayes 8" rotors work well with an Avid caliper?

Do the Hayes frame/fork international standard adaptors fit Avid calipers?

I'm running and Avid 8 front & 6 rear myself & have had zero problems for over two years now. Still lust after the Hope Mono M4's though...

mtbr member
    Why don't you put your calipers on your friends bike to see if they will fit? I think they should, but you already have 2 calipers there you can try on the actual bike to find out for sure.

That's what friends are for, aren't they?

"El Whatever"

Pretty Much it can be done

Hayes and Avid are pretty much compatible... In fact, avid has recommended to use Hayes adaptors in some cases.

You'll see... Both brakes are to be installed directly on 74mm Manitou post-type mountings without any adapter.... so they should fit to 8" with the proper adapter on the rear.

Only thing to be checked is rotor braking surface width. It should be pretty much the same (even some pads manufacturers had ofered Avid & Hayes compatible pads but for older models I think). So if the rotor surface width is the same you can use the Avid caliper on the Hayes rotor. Both rotors are from the best you can find out.... The Hayes rotors I've heard to be less warping prone while Avid are very good for the pads. Take out your pads and your friends pads out and check dimensions. If the Avids are equal or slightly smaller then just swap your calipers to your friend's bike and save him some bucks.... while you get a good reason to get new brakes (this plays when you have to ask budget authorization to your SO or parents).
    Check my Site