mtbr member

Are cheap mech hubs worth the bucks?

I am in the market for a quality entry level hardtail mtb. There are a few offering disc brakes, all tending to be cable type, and they look cool but cost a little more. Someone in a bike shop who seemed to know what he was on about, recently told me I should never go near disc brakes unless I'm buying a bike in excess of 600, as they would be more trouble than they are worth.
    Am I better off saving the money and upgrading to better hyrdaulic disc brakes at a later date if I feel I need them?

Do It Yourself
    I'm not sure exactly what you were looking at but if they were Avid mechanicals, they are very good on any bike. I know Giant puts Avid mechanicals on the Rainier (around $700-$800 USD). The Avids are real easy to work with and quick to setup. I'm not sure about the Hayes, Shimano or Formula mechanicals though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    I'm not sure exactly what you were looking at but if they were Avid mechanicals, they are very good on any bike. I know Giant puts Avid mechanicals on the Rainier (around $700-$800 USD). The Avids are real easy to work with and quick to setup. I'm not sure about the Hayes, Shimano or Formula mechanicals though.
    I've been looking at Giant XTC 4, GT Avalanche, Fuji Outland, Scott around 400-450. Some come with SHimano cable/disc, some are Hayes, some are others.
    A wise quote I came across earlier: Good V-brakes are better than bad disc brakes (and still cheaper...) It's becoming less of a priority for me, rather have Deore LX on the back or a better fork on the front than a half-decent set of discs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    There is only 3 brands making good mecanical disc brakes. In order starting from the best

1- Avid
    2-Hayes
    3-Shimano

Those disc brake have proven technologie, good stopping power, are reliable and you can easily find replacement part.

If the bike you are looking for have mechanical disc brake from another company dont touch.

I also believe than good rim brake are sometime better than cheap disc brakes.

mtbr member
    thanks for your comments, thats all useful info to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Actually, the latest Formula mechs aren't bad.

[QUOTE=Marc25]There is only 3 brands making good mecanical disc brakes. In order starting from the best

1- Avid
    2-Hayes
    3-Shimano

QUOTE]

However, there are a lot of brakes on bikes that I don't recognize and I'd be very leary of them.