mtbr member

Cheap ebay BB7s - are the calipers any good?

There are several threads about the cheap bb7s that are sold on ebay, that come with knockoff rotors and cheap pads.

I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that the calipers are actually good?

After 3 winters my rear non-ebay bb7 got seriously beaten up, with the pistons all pitted and corroded:

I had a spare parts kit so it was an easy enough fix, but buying another parts kit isn't cheap. Whenever this happens again I think it'd be easier and cheaper to just use an ebay caliper - either just stripping it for parts or using the whole thing.

Anyone have longterm experience with them?

mtbr member
    Wow, that is some serious corrosion. Sorry I don't have a solution for you, just chiming in as a fellow bb7 owner.

For what it's worth though, I wouldn't trust anyone other than sellers with rep for brake parts...it's probably the #1 part I don't want to fail.

I also want to add, you might just avoid knock offs, mine are 10 years old and no corrosion what so ever. Just a thought that knock offs may be using shitty materials.

mtbr member
    The ones I've got are definitely not knockoffs - they're stock from the bike.

And it was a surprise, because the front caliper is still fine, and the rear caliper was fine after 2 winters, but something weird happened this winter.

The photo doesn't really do it justice. The corrosion isn't just surface rust but is a substantially thick layer that you have to chip off, and under that the piston face has all sorts of little pitting. I'd initially thought that I'd be able to clean them up, but they're done for.