aka bOb

Cheap disc brakes.

Hi, I am doing a build for my daughter (age 10) and looking for some cheap disc brakes.
    What I was wondering if I could get by with some tektros' or if i should stick with at least bb5s' or if there are any other low priced brakes to consider? I have used bb7s' and love em just to much cash for a kids build.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    honestly the tektros are a cheap brake and not great for an agressive ride but for her its not a bad idea...

I found a pair for myself not too long ago on ebay for $14 and the rotors were another $15 fairly easy to install and adjust if you're mechanically inclined...

Good luck

mbtr member
    I would avoid disk brakes if you can't put bb7s on. She doesn't need the fade resistance, and keeping rotors from rubbing and adjusted could be a pain. I had some tektro iox's on my commuter, and the pad advancing knob was crooked so it would move the pad out of square as you advanced it. Really annoying.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    I would avoid disk brakes if you can't put bb7s on. She doesn't need the fade resistance, and keeping rotors from rubbing and adjusted could be a pain. I had some tektro iox's on my commuter, and the pad advancing knob was crooked so it would move the pad out of square as you advanced it. Really annoying.
    +1 V brakes should do the job. But if you insist, BB5's are a solid option 100% of the time
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by b4 stealth
    +1 V brakes should do the job. But if you insist, BB5's are a solid option 100% of the time
    That was my plan, but the fork I have is disc only. I still might run v brakes on the back.
    I do have a set of Hayes Stroker carbons laying around but that would be an over kill plus I don't want to shorten the hoses for a kids frame.
    Last edited by bdundee; 09-26-2009 at 07:49 PM.

Live 2 Ride
    My Bike: '15 Trek FX 7.2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee
    That was my plan, but the fork I have is disc only. I still might run v brakes on the back.
    I do have a set of Hayes Stroker carbons laying around but that would be an over kill plus I don't want to shorten the hoses for a kids frame.
    I'll trade you some '08 bb7's w/ speed dial levers for those stroker carbons, lol.

bb5's should be fine - I'd check if you can catch a good deal on ebay for either the bb5's or bb7's - especially if you already have rotors and levers.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino
    I'll trade you some '08 bb7's w/ speed dial levers for those stroker carbons, lol.

bb5's should be fine - I'd check if you can catch a good deal on ebay for either the bb5's or bb7's - especially if you already have rotors and levers.
    good one. But yes that is my plan to watch ebay and hopefully find a good deal on some hayes or avid mechanicals, sell the carbons and have some cash left. Or find a partial trade, I really don't need the carbons laying around if they can help finance my kids bike build. I do have rotors and adapters laying around so I should be able to find something reasonable.

The Beast Breathes
    A safe bet would be to not install the Carbon's. If you can't find BB5s for a good price Tektro Ioxs aren't actually a bad choice. When she grows to, like, 15, get her a pair of the super-low-price Hayes Nines out there everywhere.

How big is the bike (frame and wheel dia.)?
    Good luck with that, mister 300-Mile Turn Radius.

Members who have read this thread: 0