mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Cheap/chinese disc pads, worth it?

Anyone have any experience with the knock off brake pads they make overseas and sell via amazon or ebay compared to the OEM ones?

Seems to me like some of the products (LED lights, tire patches/glue) are worth it and a great value, where other things (knock off kits) are just junk and not worth it. Curious if anyone has tried the disc brake pads and have an opinion

Example Im looking at for AVIDs:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/251206058898...84.m1438.l2649

Or maybe I will be the test dummy.....

mtbr member
    I prefer to paid more and be safe with them and dont take the risk of those being crap

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

what do you consider cheap?

I've been using these in my shimano brakes for a few years. The power and heat control is about same as stock. They last near as long but are not as thick as the shimano pads, at less than half the price they are definitely worth it.

mtbr member
    I too use the pads from Disco brakes and they work great!

-Brett

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks, wasnt aware of the Disco's... i may try em out.

mtbr member
    I've been lucky enough to have different cheap brands work ok.

mtbr member
    I guess for the older pads they look good. I did not see any finned pads though.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member

Disko-nogo

Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    I've been using these in my shimano brakes for a few years. The power and heat control is about same as stock. They last near as long but are not as thick as the shimano pads, at less than half the price they are definitely worth it.
    I've just returned my order of pads to them due to their manufacturer putting too much yellow paint on the pad platform(?). They will not fit into the caliper in one case, and require bleeding out the system to even hope the other caliper would let them fit, which it really did not. That caliper just hung onto the rotor and we couldn't get the pistons to back off. I had ordered them in the past with no issue but something's changed in the specs. It's hard to pass up on the price, when the LBS is $30/pr. Good luck!
    That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?