weekend warrior
    Jul 2008

cheap but effective disc setup help

in a previous post i made noise about buy the rockshock pike 454.
    well now that i bought one i need to know what disc brake setups i can get that are not costly, but effective.

here is the criteria
    it cannot be hydraulic

im looking to spend no more than 50 on the caliper and a little more if its with a rotor. (i have seen some avid models for as low as 40. any good?)

the shock requires a 20mm thru axel. any good hub brands that are less than $50?

what company seems to make the most reliable brakes?

the pike features the slim mounts that stick out (one higher than the other) which is new to me being a manitou user im used to the posts that come striaght out. will these require different disc brakes?

i have been using V brakes since day one. i know nothing about disc brakes so this is all new to me.
    your help will be appretiated
    the path to awesomeness... is a bike path

For your criteria there's only one real choice, the Avid BB7. The BB5 is not a consideration, nor are the other manufacturers even close. For $50 you can find the caliper/rotor combo fairly easily. The BBDBs (original versions of what are now called BB7s) I got 8 years ago are still running just fine no issues.

Last I looked for a 20mm hub I don't remember anything at the $50 price point, but it's been a while since I looked.

The post mount or IS standard mounts are not an issue. The BB7 mounts up directly to a post mount if you use a 160mm rotor, needs adapters for bigger rotors. For the IS standard the BB7 needs an adapter for any size rotor. When you buy the caliper see what adapter they're including, the IS standard used to come with it but now that post mounts are increasing in popularity you need to check.

You might want to read the disc brake FAQ in the upper right corner of this page...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

weekend warrior
    Jul 2008
    ill look into reading that, thanks

yes i belive it was the bb7 i was looking into.
    and i looked on ebay and found a few $50 hubs with good ratings on the forums

thank you

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

weekend warrior
    Jul 2008
    wow.... thanks man