Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chatter Issues with Elixir CR Brakes

4K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  epicwarrior 
G
#1 ·
I am riding a Stumphumper HT Expert Carbon and it came with Elixir CR's and G3 Clean Sweep Rotors. I don't have any issues with squealing, just really bad chatter and gobble. First thing I did was switch out to organic pads, but I found that they already had organic pads from the factory. Went through the whole break-in procedure and they seem good for the first few braking applications in a ride, then the gobble/chater comes back.

Read somewhere that the issue comes from the G3 rotors and my LBS said those rotors are notorious for this problem due to the center hub design not being stiff/solid enough. So I mounted some XT rotors that I always had great luck with, but the problem got worse because the pad contact is too wide for these rotors and they are hitting the arms of the rotor.

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on a better rotor to try on these brakes or am I wasting my time and money on this whole deal? I have always run XT brakes on all of my other bikes because I built all of them myself and chose all of the components...

Was thinking about trying the new Avid HSX rotors but just not sure if they will make any difference.

#3 ·
I'm running Elixir CR's with G2 rotors and have no issues... had sintered pads, tried organics for the heck of it but will switch back to sintered again because both have been plenty quiet w/ good stopping power but the organic pads wear a lot quicker.

#4 ·
My 2012 Enduro Comp that has the Custom Avid Elixir 7 SL, hydraulic disc, alloy backed semi-metallic pad, HS-1 rotor on them does the same .. Seems like the rear brakes do it the most, sounds like a weird gobble lol or like something that is burbling .. Shame

G
#6 ·
Yeah everything is clean and I have swapped back and forth with the G3's and XT rotors and installed new pads and its always the same.

I am actually starting to think this may be related the the CPS mounting system because after I recenter the caliper, the brakes are really quiet until I do some decents on a ride then they start shuttering and gobbling and I get brake rub for the rest of the ride.

I am assuming the irregular pad contact form the caliper moving under heavy braking is causing most of the issues here. Years ago I had Juicy 3's on my enduro with huge 203 G3 CS rotors and the only problem I had was having to recenter the calipers every 3-4 rides, but other than that they were awesome...

Gonna have to keep playing with these and see if I can figure something out so I don't have to spend anymore money right now.

#7 ·
same Elixer Sram XX brake shudder issue

Did you ever resolve your shudder/chatter issue? I just bought a used Seven 29er with Sram XX (Elixer) brakes, and I have the same problem. I switched to new Kool Stop organic pads and, though the problem initially went away, it is back after two rides.

G
#10 ·
Sorry for the late reply, but I have been away from the site for a bit...

I ended up emailing Avid to get some ideas and they told me to go to any SRAM dealer and have them warranty the brakes.

I called and talked to the service manager of one of my reputable bike shops. He said I would have to drop the bike off for a day, confirm the problems and contact AVID for warranty claim.

I dropped my bike off for the day and about a week later I got a call that AVID was shipping the latest version X9 carbon lever brakes with rotors. I went down and exchanged my parts for the new (which ended up actually being 2012 XO brakes and HS1 rotors) parts because I wanted to install them myself.

Initially, I felt the problem was solved but after about 3 rides, all the same problems came right back. I am through with AVID for ever and am ordering XTR's from bluesky.

#12 ·
I have a set of the original CR's, and the rear brakes made a horrible vibration all the way up the seat post. After reading up on the issue, I found someone that recommended Jagwire Red Zone brake pads. They have been quiet and vibration free for the last 2.5 years.

#13 ·
I'm one of the lucky ones, no problem with the CR's and a G3 rear 160mm rotor on my Turner, they were previously on an Intense 5.5 w/o trouble either.

It has to be the CPS system, seeing how people have the same problem with varying rotors and calipers.

#19 ·
Avid Elixir CR Violent Chatter

I've been having this problem off and on for the 2 years I've owned the bike. It recently got really bad after swapping the 185mm G2 from the front to the rear and upsizing the front to a 203mm G3. The front never had the problem. These brakes are on a 2009 Giant Trance X1 with Mavic Crossmax ST wheels. Spokes are tensioned propperly and there is no play in pivot bearings or hub.

I think the problem might be related to another common problem with these brakes. One of the piston seals on the rear has been sticky where one pad will extend further than the other causing the contact to be uneven. I've tried to solve this by pumping one piston out while holding the other (with the pads out of course), cleaning the piston with DOT 5.1 fluid then pushing it back in. I would repeat this several times on each piston to clean and lubricate the piston-seal surface. This seemed to help in that it cured brake rubbing but it is apparent that the contact is still uneven and I get that violent chatter until the brakes come up to temperature. When they cool off the chatter starts again. Here's what I'm going to try...

1. Replace pistons and seals in the rear caliper. (12 bucks on amazon)
2. Replace the rotor with the Avid HSX type with the central frame assembly
3. Install new pads
4. Disconnect the cable from the clips on the frame when adjusting the brakes so that the cable does not apply any torque to the caliper causing it to be crooked when the bolts are tightened.
5. If none of these things work I'll just say F-it and get some XTR's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.