mtbr member
    Aug 2013

ChaserTech Disc Adapter (Help!)

Hey there! I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the chasertech disc brake adapter and the best way to modify it. I bought the 170mm kit and recently installed it, but ran into a problem where the bolt on the ball joint (the one that attaches to the plate that connects with the seat stay and dropout) is directly contacting the rotor! The only obvious fix I can think of is putting the ball joint on the outside of the plate instead of the inside...however this puts the whole adjuster bar at more of an angle and I'm guessing it may not be as structurally sound. Or maybe it is? Take a look at the pictures I provided, which show the problem and my possible fix. What do you guys think / advise?

Thanks!

PS please note that the first two pictures are of my possible fix
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ChaserTech Disc Adapter (Help!)-img_20130825_143642_748-360x640-.jpg  

ChaserTech Disc Adapter (Help!)-img_20130825_143623_614-360x640-.jpg  

ChaserTech Disc Adapter (Help!)-img_20130825_140533_398-360x640-.jpg  

ChaserTech Disc Adapter (Help!)-img_20130825_140436_818-360x640-.jpg  

ChaserTech Disc Adapter (Help!)-img_20130825_140350_318-360x640-.jpg  

Birdman aka JMJ
    Two options I see.

1. Mount the bolt on the other side of the adapter plate and call it a day. It should be fine.

2. If you have digital calipers (even $12 Harbor Freight ones), remove the bolt that is interfering with the rotor and measure it carefully (shoulder diameter, thread size/pitch, etc.). It could be a fairly common shoulder screw. Go on the McMaster Carr website and find a matching shoulder screw with a lower head height that will clear the rotor.

If it's a simple bolt that has a sleeve over it, again, match the bolt diameter & length and find one with a shorter head (hardware store will have 'em).

Good luck.

JMJ

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    For option #1, I did think of that but the problem is that the ball doesn't have threads, and I'd have to throw a nut on the other side.

Option two sounds like it would probably work, I'm checking out that website now and I think I can find the right size with a low head. I did contact ChaserTech and they recommended that I simply shave off 2mm from the bolt head, which is basically the same as your option #2.

Thank you for the suggestions!! Should be straightforward from here

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    For option #1, I did think of that but the problem is that the ball doesn't have threads, and I'd have to throw a nut on the other side.
    Why would you need a nut on the otherside.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Why would you need a nut on the otherside.
    Because the ball joint doesn't have threads, so there would be nothing to hold it to the bolt..

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Doesn't the bolt screw into the adapter.

Birdman aka JMJ
    Scratching my head over that too - need a picture of the ball joint removed from the bracket.

JMJ

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    The first & second photos show it attached on the outside with the bolt screwed into the adapter so I don't know why or where a nut is needed for attaching it that way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The only threaded piece for the bolt to screw into is on the black plate that the ball joint connects to.

Plays with tools
    What's it look like when the skewer is actually tightened down?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    The first & second photos show it attached on the outside with the bolt screwed into the adapter so I don't know why or where a nut is needed for attaching it that way.
    I think he thinks you mean thread the bolt from the outside with the ball joint on the inside of the adapter (not on the outside like in pics 1 and 2).