mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Changing Tektro Rotor to Avid G3

Have a spare Avid G3 160mm rotor collecting dust and wondering if it would improve brake performance to swap it with my current Tektro (Tektro rotor image by bghostb on Photobucket) 160mm.

Also have an Avid Roundagon rotor.

Thanks.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Have a spare Avid G3 160mm rotor collecting dust and wondering if it would improve brake performance to swap it with my current Tektro 160mm.
    How well your Tektro pads match up with the braking track on the G3 rotor will probably determine whether it'll be an upgrade, downgrade or possibly make no difference.
    The G3 is made to match a few different Avid brakes that have certain size pads.

A bit of an explanation with a couple of photos: http://forums.mtbr.com/8091699-post6.html

Also have an Avid Roundagon rotor.
    The Tektro rotors you have now are a bit like the Roundagon rotors but they have more holes in them, I doubt that the Roundagon would be an improvement.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    BB5 Calipers. (Round pads). Currently its only grabbing half the disc (really decreasing performance), because I didn't pay much attention to the CPS when installing. - Just put them on any order and far back enough so the caliper wouldn't touch the edge of the disc.

I can see on the disc that one half is being used and the other is still rough from sandpaper.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Found how to install CPS washers correctly, so will do that tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I put the CPS washers on according to Avid Manual (Same way as diagram). After tightening everything up and adjusting properly, the back part of the caliper touches the edge of the disc, which is not allowing me to even spin the wheel properly. Not touching pads.

It seems to be because the height/size of the rotor is too high for the caliper. So the pads are not touching on the rotor completely.

You can see in this auction the way the CPS bolts are connected to the adapter. I did it the same way.

So I probably need to change to G3 rotor because it is more of a circle disc, not to many variations in the size.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    After tightening everything up and adjusting properly, the back part of the caliper touches the edge of the disc, which is not allowing me to even spin the wheel properly. Not touching pads.

It seems to be because the height/size of the rotor is too high for the caliper. So the pads are not touching on the rotor completely.
    Are you using the right adapter ?
    Is the adapter the right way around ?
    Which part of the brake caliper is the rotor touching ? Inside, Outside or Topside ?

So I probably need to change to G3 rotor because it is more of a circle disc
    The G3 shouldn't make any difference, the diameter of a 160mm G3 rotor will be the same as the diameter of a 160mm Roundagon or any other 160mm rotor.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think the adapter is the right way round... I will try flip it just to check.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    The caliper is too far down. I remove one of the CPS washers to get it correct.
    Removing the top CPS washers won't do anything to the caliper height in relation to the rotor.
    Removing the bottom CPS washers will only make the problem worse.

If you have the right adapter that is the right way around the only way to raise the caliper would be to place flat washers between the adapter and the bottom CPS washers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sorry, I meant I had to remove one of the top CPS washers and add it to the bottom one.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Something is wrong if you need to stack CPS washers like that to get it to work.
    Check your adapter.
    Adapters are front/rear specific and they are only meant to go on one way. Some adapters will have an arrow which points in the direction that the wheel rotates.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    YES! The adapter was the wrong way round. I'll fix that sometime soon. I am actually missing 2 CPS washers, so I will have to find something to replace them with.

So back to the main question, will the G3 be better than my current Tektro?

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    So back to the main question, will the G3 be better than my current Tektro?
    See post # 2

Look at where the pads are rubbing on the Tektro rotor.
    Take off the Tektro rotor and lay the G3 rotor on top of it.
    Compare the size of the braking track on the 2 rotors.
    If the braking track of the Tektro is larger then that of the G3 and if with the G3 you will have the brake pads overhanging the inside part of the braking track you will basically have less pad contact with the G3's braking track and it most likely won't be as efficient as a rotor where the pads have full contact with the braking track.