Got Trails?

Changing Rotor Size what Adapter Do I need?

Can anyone give me some help please

I am upgrading from 160mm to 185mm in the front but I think I need the adapter for it however I am not sure what I truly need. Anyone with suggestions or help

Thanks
    I Fear No Beer

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbike1 View Post
    Can anyone give me some help please

I am upgrading from 160mm to 185mm in the front but I think I need the adapter for it however I am not sure what I truly need. Anyone with suggestions or help

Thanks
    get the one that says. "185mm- front" guessing you are going avid as everyone else is 180. So you'll need the Avid front adaptor. you'll also need to get either a post or tab mount depending on your fork.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Got Trails?
    I truly dont mind going with 180mm I just want to get a larger front rotor, and I really dont know all the parts I need.
    I Fear No Beer

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    so if I go with 180mm rotor is it easier? I truly dont mind going with 180mm I just want to get a larger front rotor, and I really dont know all the parts I need.
    doesn't matter, just need to match the adaptor to the rotor size... then get eh adaptor to match. is your fork a tab (screws come in through the side) or stud mount(screws go straight through the caliper and into the fork)?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

~Disc~Golf~
    nvm
    Last edited by highdelll; 03-10-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Got Trails?
    ok I feel like a new guy all over

the mount seems to be Stud mount the screws go through the caliper and into the fork. So if I am getting the G2 clean sweap rotor 185mm what adapter would I need I dont see any listed for 185.
    I Fear No Beer

~Disc~Golf~

Got Trails?
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    I was looking on pricepoint but I wasnt sure of what I needed because it has 2 different types. IS & Post. As I stated my caliper is mounted with bolts running through it into the fork. So if I pick up the 185mm g2 rotor and the adapters you linked for me I can just reuse the hardware I have currently holding the caliper on and I should be all set? Sorry for so many questions its been awhile since I did any mods to my bike.
    I Fear No Beer

~Disc~Golf~
    I was looking on pricepoint but I wasnt sure of what I needed because it has 2 different types. IS & Post. As I stated my caliper is mounted with bolts running through it into the fork. So if I pick up the 185mm g2 rotor and the adapters you linked for me I can just reuse the hardware I have currently holding the caliper on and I should be all set? Sorry for so many questions its been awhile since I did any mods to my bike.
    If I read you correctly, you need the 185 post mount adapter.
    And as noted on that page, the hardware IS NOT included, so you'll need to get some bolts.
    I take it that you already have old Avid CPS washers, so you could just go down to a hardware store and buy longer bolts.
    BUT! (no offense), you seem a bit lost, so I'd just get them (bolts) at the same time
    Avid CPS Hardware Kit 2012 at Price Point

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    ya.. like Highdell said,.. get the "185 post mount" and for the $4 get the bolts.
    It is strange, as the selection for just that one size in the Pricepoint site say it DOES include the bolts... but I'd call as I believe that's a typo.

Got Trails?
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    If I read you correctly, you need the 185 post mount adapter.
    And as noted on that page, the hardware IS NOT included, so you'll need to get some bolts.
    I take it that you already have old Avid CPS washers, so you could just go down to a hardware store and buy longer bolts.
    BUT! (no offense), you seem a bit lost, so I'd just get them (bolts) at the same time
    Avid CPS Hardware Kit 2012 at Price Point
    trust me none taken. I have been out of the game for awhile do to knee injuries and I hate sending my bike into the LBS all the time. I appreciate the help.
    I Fear No Beer

mtbr member
    Just to add to the confusion, the Avid post type 185mm front adapter is more of a spacer that you place between your fork and caliper. This is different from all the other adapters where the adapter is first bolted to the fork and then a separate set of bolts is used to hold the caliper to the adapter.

The bolts on your original setup will likely not be long enough for this arrangement. Make sure you select the "Post 185mm" hardware in the link provided by highdelll.

Precisely because the 185mm adapter requires a longer set of bolts, these bolts might actually be included as a part of the adapter; so the Pricepoint listing might be accurate. But as thomllama mentioned, best to call them to be certain.

Clear as mud?
    Go on ahead, I'm gonna take a breather.

Got Trails?
    Yes thanks. I ordered the bolts the adapter and the rotor all in 185mm
    Thanks all
    I Fear No Beer

mtbr member
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Also when bolting on your adapter/caliper note there is a long and a short bolt(not much difference) if you put the longer bolt where it needs the shorter you might strip the threads on your fork.Just take your time and double check.Also if you are in north san diego I have an extra adapter and bolts you can have for free

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchD View Post
    Also when bolting on your adapter/caliper note there is a long and a short bolt(not much difference) if you put the longer bolt where it needs the shorter you might strip the threads on your fork.Just take your time and double check.Also if you are in north san diego I have an extra adapter and bolts you can have for free
    also, with some forks (I think older fox mostly - but it doesn't hurt to mention), you can pierce the fork-leg and the bath-oil will leak out. - Also kind of the reason I steered the OP from just going into a hardware store - sure, if you know EXACTLY what you're lookin' for, you can do it to save a buck or two.

Got Trails?
    I am using the R-Seven fork. I built the bike from the frame up but its been so long since I have done anything to it I am just duoble checking all of my steps to make sure I do it correctly. I am looking foward to the extra stopping power with the 185 up front

Thanks
    I Fear No Beer

~Disc~Golf~
    post up your success story!

Got Trails?
    will do and thanks again for the help
    I Fear No Beer