mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Changing Pads in Hope Mono Mini, difficult????

Just received my new Hope Mono Mini Pro brakes. The only problem I had after installing them, was I was trying to alleviate some rub on the front. I took off the wheel and then removed the pads so I could push the pistons back in. When I tried to put the pads back in I had 1 hell of a time trying to do it. The spring kept popping out. Checked out the Hope web site and watched a movie they had online on how to push the pistons in without removing the pads. It took quite awhile to finally get them back in. My old XTR 960 brakes were easy because I could do it from above without removing the wheel. Anyone with a suggestion on how to do it easily??? I know I must be missing something. Anyone else find it difficult???

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kevindef
    Just received my new Hope Mono Mini Pro brakes. The only problem I had after installing them, was I was trying to alleviate some rub on the front. I took off the wheel and then removed the pads so I could push the pistons back in. When I tried to put the pads back in I had 1 hell of a time trying to do it. The spring kept popping out. Checked out the Hope web site and watched a movie they had online on how to push the pistons in without removing the pads. It took quite awhile to finally get them back in. My old XTR 960 brakes were easy because I could do it from above without removing the wheel. Anyone with a suggestion on how to do it easily??? I know I must be missing something. Anyone else find it difficult???
    short answer:

no, not at all.

however, since you had to ask this question, i recommended you take it slow and be careful. we're here if you need help. have a digital camera ready for questions

mx

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    okay, now i actually read your post. what exactly are you trying to do??

mx

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had some rub when I spun the wheel, so I took off the wheel, removed the pads and pushed the pistons back in. TRIED to put the pads and spring back in, but had a very difficult time trying to get them back without the spring popping out. 1 pad would line up with the spring fine, but the other pad would slip and the spring would wind touching the piston so I couldn't get the pad behind the spring. I was finally able to get it done after around 20 minutes or of playing around with it. After watching a video on the HopeUSA site on centering the caliper, I saw how you can do it (center the caliper to help get rid of rub) without taking the wheel off and pads out. I did get it all done and now have NO rub. I just got rid of my XTR 960 brakes and always removed the wheel and pads to push the pistons back in if I needed to. But I NEVER had a problem putting the pads and spring back in with the XTR's. It just seemed SOOOO difficult to try and get the pads and spring back in correctly. I was just wondering if there was a simple way to put them back in without going nuts about it. Thanks for the help!!!

banned
    Mar 2004
    Here's a short and almost easy way to alleviate rotor rub on Hopes and almost every other hydraulic disc brake. With Hopes you want to center the rotor between the caliper housing, not the pads. Once that's done and tight, pump the brake lever until it is firm. In a perfect world, you'd be done. But since we're not "in a material world and I am not a material girl" here's what ya hafta do. Get a small, thin flat blade screw driver. Make sure it's nice and clean. Use some rubbing alcohol if you're not sure. Gently stick the screw driver between the rotor and the caliper housing on the "opposite" side of the rotor that is rubbing. Now while gently pressing the rotor "towards" the side that is rubbing, pump the brake lever several times. Pull out the screw driver and recheck for rubbing. Usually once or twice will get it for you. What you are doing is centering the rotor in between the pads now. Sometimes the pistons need to have a different center reference to not rub. In other words, sometimes the pistons stick and need to be unstuck.

"Hope" that helps!

BTW This trick also helps to give a better lever feel on Avids and Hayes where there is too much distance between the rotor and pads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the Tip! Actually it isn't the Rub that I was having difficulty with, it was trying to put the pads and spring back into the caliper. Was difficult to do without the spring popping out.