lives to ride
    Feb 2005

Changing brake levers for Shimano M775

Hi there,

I have a brake set that I just purchased, however the levers on the opposite calipers than I want them to be on. For me to switch the levers over, what is involved?

Do I need any new parts? Or is it as simple as removing the hose from each lever and reinstalling?

Thanks

mtbr member
    If you're careful, you may only need to add a little fluid to the lever reservoir once you've done the swap. If you make sure not to lose fluid, and prevent air from entering the brake line, you'll most likely be okay. I've swapped levers and disconnected lines with Shimanos a bunch of times and only had to top-off the reservoir when I'm done. Two new compression olives and line barbs are a good thing to have as well.

Good luck!

toby

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees
    If you're careful, you may only need to add a little fluid to the lever reservoir once you've done the swap. If you make sure not to lose fluid, and prevent air from entering the brake line, you'll most likely be okay. I've swapped levers and disconnected lines with Shimanos a bunch of times and only had to top-off the reservoir when I'm done. Two new compression olives and line barbs are a good thing to have as well.

Good luck!

toby
    Thanks Toby,

Did you need to replace the olives when you did it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasevr4
    Thanks Toby,

Did you need to replace the olives when you did it?
    Yes, and I just replaced the barbs as well instead of trying to get them out and re-use them. Speedgoat.com just had a sale on them (olive and barb kit) and I stocked up for future "tweaking."

toby

Meh.
    Ditto. Have extra barbs, olives, and a bit of mineral oil on hand.

Might be easiest if you pump out the pistons before you pull the line. So when you reconnect and reset the pistons it will push any air bubble into the reservoir.