meatheadboy
    Aug 2006

changed juicy 7 pads

hey there!

i just swapped my pads on my juicy 7's, i know the calipers are self adjusting but the tire won't spin at all, it rotates but there is ton's of friction.

i haven't had a chance to get out and set in the pads yet but these should adjust out once it get rolling on them, correct?

this is the first time i've had to replace the pads and just want to make sure i did it correctly, i've taken the out in the past several times and scored them after i get junk on them and the tires spun fine when i put them back it.

is it just that the pistons have to settle back in?

thanks for any replies!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Juicy's self-adjust inward to compensate for pad wear. They will not self-adjust outward.

You need to remove the wheel. Carefully pry the pads/pistons all the way back into the caliper body (I like to remove the pads first so that I can't damage them).

Install the wheel and pull the lever a few times to reset the pads. You should now have a normal gap.

What he said, but after the pads reset, you might have to recenter the caliper. ALSO... if you've bled the brakes and overfilled the system, you may not be able to push the pads back far enough. But the nature of your question leads me to believe that is not the case.