mtbr member

Ceramic rim brake pads?

Hi everyone,

Are ceramic rim brake pads o.k. to use on my ceramic rims? I have read some complaints that they actually wear down the rims faster. I have Mavic Crossmax wheels which I REALLY like and would rather spend more money on replacing regular brake pads than ever have to replace these rims. Is this true about ceramic brake pads?

If they are o.k. to use, what are some good brands/models? Anything I should avoid? Thanks in advance any responses.

Brian

Ceramic rim pads are intended to be used on ceramic rims. I've got a wheelset with ceramic rims that's almost 10 years old now and while the ceramic coating isn't perfect it's still quite functional. I've only used ceramic pads or dual compound pads on these, mostly I used the WTB dual compound but lately am using some Shimano ceramic compound pads (which don't perform quite as well but a friend gave me a bunch of free pads). You can use a regular brake pad compound but it will eat up the pads faster. Go to koolstop.com and check out their offerings.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response. I put on some kool stop ceramic V-brake replacement pads. The stopping power is amazing, almost scary. I hope I remember not to pull the lever like before or I'm going to be over the bars.

Gone Bamboo
    I have done that onto a curb, Do Not Endo with canti's please, it makes you look like a fool.

I already took off the front disc brake on my bike, regretably, just in case. I think you should consider only having a back brake aswell, because the possibility of "gripping the brake very hard" is "very likely" in certain situations.
    National Economic Security And Reformation Act