mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Ceramic Rim and Brake Pad

using a ceramic rim and normal brake pad, and it making a loud noise when braking, any solution for this, if using the ceramic brake pad, can it solve this problem? it seem like the XT V-brake. Please suggest some solution for me, thanks

mtbr member

Smile You need Ceramic specific

The pads will LAST longer! Koolstop or Shamano have them.
    Quote Originally Posted by daytona
    using a ceramic rim and normal brake pad, and it making a loud noise when braking, any solution for this, if using the ceramic brake pad, can it solve this problem? it seem like the XT V-brake. Please suggest some solution for me, thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    The pads will LAST longer! Koolstop or Shamano have them.

but then how to solve the noise problem, it seem very louad when going fast and brake it. thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    but then how to solve the noise problem, it seem very louad when going fast and brake it. thanks
    I've used Kool Stop Green and XTR ceramic and find the XTR to be a quieter pad. But they will howl occasionally. If i clean the rims the howl goes away and I get some power back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    I've used Kool Stop Green and XTR ceramic and find the XTR to be a quieter pad. But they will howl occasionally. If i clean the rims the howl goes away and I get some power back.
    have you heard before the problem that those XT V brake facing? now mine are like XT i don't think is the brake pad, it may be the V Brake system problem, i'm looking for other solution also, any other solution than the brake pad? thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    have you heard before the problem that those XT V brake facing? now mine are like XT i don't think is the brake pad, it may be the V Brake system problem, i'm looking for other solution also, any other solution than the brake pad? thanks
    When i first mounted my ceramic rims and left the non-ceramic pads on my bike, the brakes howled and wore out in one ride. You pretty much have no other choice than to buy new ceramic pads. Don't worry though, you just "conditioned" your rims. You will get longer pad life and better braking now when you switch to ceramic pads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I had better luck w/Kool Stop Black pads...

for my Bontrager and Mavic ceramic rims. The Shimano ceramic pads seemed to squeal more unless I kept the rims super clean. On the plus side, the ceramic pads do last longer.

But I've found that regular kool stop pads are the quietest and seem to provide the most stopping power. I usually get a couple months out of a set of pads riding/racing in the Pacific NW.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good God... NO!!!

I learned the hard way... don't clean ceramic rims. Ever. EVER.

I tried the XTR pads, they're rock hard (I broke one in half trying to install it) and smoothed out my front ceramic rim. The koolstops are ok, but unnecessary. Condition with a regular black pad, as was suggested. After that, other regular pads should be ok. If you have to choose a ceramic specific pad, I'd choose the Koolstop. But learn from my mistakes: I didn't clean that rim for the longest time, and it's the residue of rubber, and the little bit of surface ceramic that comes loose that adds massive braking power. Over time, the rims will get smoothed out gradually, but if you don't remove that residue, they'll perform at a level comparable to disc brakes. (I'm a clydesdale, who commutes up and down hills... I use my brakes hard, and that front ceramic rim was amazing) If you clean frequently, you may not notice the gradual dissipation, but I can say from experience, I wish I hadn't cleaned mine off. The decrease in performance was drastic. I've since tried to find a way to resurface them, but the polished surface has even resisted a dremel with a cutting wheel. Nothing scratches it up. My last resort will be a DMT diamond sharpening rod or block of some sort. That's the only other thing I can think of... more on that when I've done the experiment.

As for the XT brakes... GET RID OF THEM. The current crop are horrible, and noisy as all hell. Since everyone's on to disc brakes now, it's anyone's guess if hte XT v's will get revised again. Invest in a set of Avid SD7s. Brakes, and levers. They're much stronger, much, much quieter. And quieter is a big factor... that squealing is a vibration which is accelerating pad wear. I had the XTs... squealed like crazy, and literally burned the XTR pads I had at the time. You could smell it. Swap to the Avids... pads worked fine, no noise, and pads lasted much longer.

Also, check out Salsa Brake boosters They cut down on frame and/or fork flex, which can contribute to squealing. Another added benefit with boosters is increased modulation. Believe it or not, I even use one with my disc brakes... I know the slides shouldn't twist around when I brake... but the booster fixed the weird steering wobble I encountered when using my avid discs. Brake boosters are awesome.