mtbr member
    Apr 2005

centerlock rotors for saint hubs

Are there any centerlock adaptors to use on 6-bolt rotors? Also, are Hayes Nine's compatable with Saint rotors if there are no centerlock adaptors available?

Meh.
    There are not Saint centerlock adapters. You can currently only use the Saint rotors on Saint hubs. The braking path of the Saint rotors is a bit narrow for the Hayes pads. If you must use the Hayes brakes, you may want to bevel the edges of the pads to fit the rotor. This way the pad won't be grabbing at the rotor "arms" and wearing unevenly.

mtbr member
    So, i guess it would be possible to use the saint brakes (203 version) with 8 '' Hayes rotors ?

Thanks

Meh.
    You can use Hayes rotors with Saint calipers. Just not the other way around. And you cannot mount Hayes rotors on Saint hubs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

New question here. hayes 9 and centerlock compatibility

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    You can use Hayes rotors with Saint calipers. Just not the other way around. And you cannot mount Hayes rotors on Saint hubs.
    I was just about to post asking this exact question. Glad I searched first.

Just picked up a used DMR to play around on. Bike is complete but almost seems like the seller put it together just to sell. Anyway, the bike is setup singlespeed and has a Saint rear hub (FH-M800) paired with Shimano Center lock rotors. The brakes however are an Hayes Nines. Not sure of the year.

Are the Hayes brakes compatible with the Shimano hub/rotor combo? On first glance, the brakes seem to rub. I've pushed the piston back into the bore and loosened the mounting brackets and doesn't seem like its going to matter.

XLS WIll may have already given me my answer I just want to confirm. Thanks for the feedback

maurice

Meh.
    Sounds like it just needs to be centered. But if the braking path of the caliper sweeps across the arms this could result in uneven pad wear, vibrations, noises, etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    XSL- So in the earlier message that I quoted, what did you mean by 'just not the other way around'?

The Hayes pads do seem like they will contact the rotor arms but I noted the earlier message that suggested removing braking material as a counter measure.

Assuming compatibility is not the issue, maybe now is a good time for me to learn to bleed the hayes. That way I can get the piston pushed further into the bore and give the rotors a little extra space.

Are there brakes out there (magura, avid, etc) that are not compatible with the centerlock hub/rotors or is it just a matter of tuning? just wondering in case I spot a good deal on some used juicy's

thanks again.
    maurice