mtbr member
    Jan 2007

centerlock rotor compatible?

Hey, are shimano centerlock rotors the same sizes as others? Is a 6" xt centerlock gonna be the same as rotors that come with a 160 mm avid brakeset even though 160 mm is actually about 6.3"? And can I mix and match, like a 160mm bb7 caliper with a 6" xt rotor? thanks

Meh.
    Shimano does not make a "6 inch" it's 160mm. And no, I wouldn't do it. The overall diameter is the same, but the braking path of the Shimano rotor is much narrower. The Avid pads will sweep across the Shimano rotor "arms." This will lead to uneven pad wear among other problems.

Just get the Centerlock adapter.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Will is absolutely right on the braking track issue...

Eventhough it's NOT correct usually rotor sizing is used as follows

6 inches = 160mm
    7 inches = 180-185mm
    8 inches = 200-203mm

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    alright thanks guys. looks like i'm dishing out the extra dough for adapters or a full-shimano set..

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

DT Swiss adapters

I have XTR hubs on my ancient vee brake vintage Sugar (a great short-travel design) but have gone 6-bolt XTs on my current rides. I just bought a used XTR/Mavic wheelset that will require DT Swiss adapters (I chose these 'cause they look the coolest) so finally I can have the XTR smooth bearings and lightweightness and still keep my BB7s. I'll report back with my thoughts after Moab in March. And for the weightweenies in the audience, since I don't need the six bolts for rotor installation the weight penalty isn't as bad. That means I can still sleep at night!

I was able to guilt-free decide NOT to try my BB7s with the XTR rotors that came with this wheelset (too bad 'cause they look great) thanks to XSL_Will who has convinced me to not even try it, thereby saving loads of braindamage wondering WTF is wrong with mt brakes?

But Shimano--please give us 6-bolt XTR hubs. No? Oh, well, you've given DT Swiss and others a new market niche.
    Last edited by xcguy; 02-17-2007 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I have XTR hubs on my ancient vee brake vintage Sugar (a great short-travel design) but have gone 6-bolt XTs on my current rides. I just bought a used XTR/Mavic wheelset that will require DT Swiss adapters (I chose these 'cause they look the coolest) so finally I can have the XTR smooth bearings and lightweightness and still keep my BB7s. I'll report back with my thoughts after Moab in March. And for the weightweenies in the audience, since I don't need the six bolts for rotor installation the weight penalty isn't as bad. That means I can still sleep at night!

I was able to guilt-free decide NOT to try my BB7s with the XTR rotors that came with this wheelset (too bad 'cause they look great) thanks to XS-Will who has convinced me to not even try it, thereby saving loads of braindamage wondering WTF is wrong with mt brakes?

But Shimano--please give us 6-bolt XTR hubs. No? Oh, well, you've given DT Swiss and others a new market niche.

You are right, it seems shimano is not interested in 6 bolt hubs, since they just released their own centerlock-to-6-bolt adapter...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Shimano did that?

Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    You are right, it seems shimano is not interested in 6 bolt hubs, since they just released their own centerlock-to-6-bolt adapter...
    I find that partially good news--I'd rather have a 6-bolt XTR hub but since I'm actually a Shimano fan I'd be interested in trying out their adapter. Does it solve the "problem" differently?

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I find that partially good news--I'd rather have a 6-bolt XTR hub but since I'm actually a Shimano fan I'd be interested in trying out their adapter. Does it solve the "problem" differently?
    Not really..it looks pretty similar to the magura centerlock adapter... I would post a scanned pic of the German Mountain Bike magazine where I saw it, but I am away from home for the next week or so... if nobody else beats me to it, I will post it when I get back...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I found a picture of it

Not really..it looks pretty similar to the magura centerlock adapter... I would post a scanned pic of the German Mountain Bike magazine where I saw it, but I am away from home for the next week or so... if nobody else beats me to it, I will post it when I get back...
    by googling German mountain bike mags. Came up with Mountain Bike (at least the German version). They did have a pic of it. Looks like the DT Swiss version I have, with some kind of snap ring, which the DTSW doesn't have. So, who knows, maybe Japanese expertise has improved on what works fine already. Like I've said, I'm a Shimano fan so hopefully this is lighter and works better. And, while I'm on the subject of Shimano, I hope they bring back XTR level 8 speed Rapidfire shifter/brake levers! I'm still an 8 speed holdout, but that's another thread.

Now that you said..I went looking and.. yeah..it is on their site... the circlip seems like a nice addition to the design... I haven't seen that on the other ones...

Lover, not a fighter...
    Dec 2006
    Now that you said..I went looking and.. yeah..it is on their site... the circlip seems like a nice addition to the design... I haven't seen that on the other ones...

Any idea of the cost or weight of the Shimano adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by JaLove
    Any idea of the cost or weight of the Shimano adapter?
    Not much info available yet.. sorry..

Stand back
    How about a Saint rotor adaptor? Or would be nice if even a freakin Saint centerlock rotor tool was available...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!