mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Centerlock Question

I have a set of DT Swiss centerlock hubs with 160 mm avid bb7's. What would be the most economical solution to get them to work? Which is the cheapest adapter?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

mtbr member
    I'm no expert but maybe look into 160mm centerlock rotors? Maybe XT or something? It is probably a little more expensive than the $20 adapters but should be much lighter.

Anyone that can confirm this, I'd like to know. I like the idea of the centerlock rotors but just purchased avid brakes. Hubs are yet to be purchased
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Meh.
    Shimano rotors have a fairly narrow braking path. The Avid pads will overlap the blade and sweep at the rotor "arms." This will lead to uneven pad wear, and eventually problems such as stuttering, howling, etc. You can space the caliper up so that the pads don't grab, but this will mean that pad will hang over the top of the rotor, and when pad wear becomes severe enough, the overlapped portion will touch, and the rest of the material won't contact the rotor. The best way to go about it is to bevel or grind off a portion of this pad. The downside is that you have to do this with every single set of pads. IMO, it's not worth the trouble.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Shimano rotors have a fairly narrow braking path. The Avid pads will overlap the blade and sweep at the rotor "arms." This will lead to uneven pad wear, and eventually problems such as stuttering, howling, etc. You can space the caliper up so that the pads don't grab, but this will mean that pad will hang over the top of the rotor, and when pad wear becomes severe enough, the overlapped portion will touch, and the rest of the material won't contact the rotor. The best way to go about it is to bevel or grind off a portion of this pad. The downside is that you have to do this with every single set of pads. IMO, it's not worth the trouble.
    Do as Will says!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Hey - a bit of a threadjack, but I've been have a centerlock/Juicy7 setup, and can't seem to get anything to be noise-free. I've installed XTR's, and get a little buzzing/pulsing, and based on advice on this forum (largely yours) I bought DT Swiss adapters, and started trying all the rotors in my garage: roundagons, polygons, G1 clean sweeps, hope gothics, and an old set of stan's aluminum rotors. All of them make extept the gothics make a horrible vibration, which must hit resonance in my frame, since it gets bad enought to actually tickle if I'm sitting on the saddle The gothics vibrate a lot also, but lower frequency - once every time one of the 'waves' in the rotor comes around. Also, I used the 'new' install method.

The frame is an 06 Truth, the wheels are Bonty Race X Lite disks. I'm tired enough of the noise that I'm about ready to put the XTR's back on (and file away part of the brake pad so it doesn't grab the arms).

Also, I called Avid for some help, and they said that they don't deal directly with consumers. My problem is that I got all this stuff wholesale, so I don't really have a LBS where I bought the bike....rrrr...

Can anybody shed some light on my situation?

Meh.
    Right, Avid does not deal direct with the consumer. A good shop should help you out no matter what. They may not be real happy to, but if they want a potential new customer, that's the way to do it.

Have you made sure that your pads are not unevenly worn? or resurface them? Have you tried other pad compounds at all? I've had good luck with my Hayes v-cut rotors and stock pads (both black and gold backed). Other people couldn't get it to work no matter what until they switched to EBC or Galfer pads. Make sure that your pads are perfectly square to the rotor. Often times people have a little trouble lining up the caliper because of the CPS washers. Make sure those washers aren't pitted or corroded. A little dab of grease on them is nice too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Will -

Thanks so much for the help with this. I'll check the pads - I rode them for ~3 months with the XTR rotors, so I guess there may already be some weird wear patterns. I'll first try using a little grease on teh CPS washers, and go to new pads next - I already need a pair for the bb7's on my SS anyways. Suggestions? Either EBC or Galfer? What color?