mtbr member
    Feb 2007

New question here. Centerlock - Lockring Help!

Hey all,
    I have just upgraded my wheelset to DT Swiss 240s CL. I got the DT Swiss IS6-Bolt to Centerlock adapter. I got my front disc on and the lockring torqued, but the axle on the rear wheel sticks out too far from the disc and the (cassette) tool is not deep enough to accomodate this, therefore not allowing me to tighten it anymore than I can by hand. A friend informed me he had something similar on an old FR bike (I am riding '06 Trek 8000) and that all he had to do was hand tighten it and then ride and apply rear break and it would self-tighten. So I'm wondering if this would work.

Also sometimes after taking FW off to put bike on rack and putting FW back on, the front rotor rubs against the pads, and sometimes it doesn't. I have tried pressing calipers back with a butterknife as recommended in a maintenance book I have, but usually to not much success... Any ideas?

Cheers!

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by eyek0n
    Hey all,
    I have just upgraded my wheelset to DT Swiss 240s CL. I got the DT Swiss IS6-Bolt to Centerlock adapter. I got my front disc on and the lockring torqued, but the axle on the rear wheel sticks out too far from the disc and the (cassette) tool is not deep enough to accomodate this, therefore not allowing me to tighten it anymore than I can by hand. A friend informed me he had something similar on an old FR bike (I am riding '06 Trek 8000) and that all he had to do was hand tighten it and then ride and apply rear break and it would self-tighten. So I'm wondering if this would work.

Also sometimes after taking FW off to put bike on rack and putting FW back on, the front rotor rubs against the pads, and sometimes it doesn't. I have tried pressing calipers back with a butterknife as recommended in a maintenance book I have, but usually to not much success... Any ideas?

Cheers!
    No, that's like a freewheel, the centerlock does not self tighten like a freewheel. Go to your shop, they should have a lockring tool that will fit.

As for the rubbing, each time you remove and install the wheel, you are not torquing the QR exactly the same. The different torque will cause the hub to sit in the dropouts slightly differently each time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hey all,
    I have just upgraded my wheelset to DT Swiss 240s CL. I got the DT Swiss IS6-Bolt to Centerlock adapter. I got my front disc on and the lockring torqued, but the axle on the rear wheel sticks out too far from the disc and the (cassette) tool is not deep enough to accomodate this,
    Cheers!
    I had this exact same problem with my XTR hubs and my DT centerlock adapters. My Park lockring tool was not deep enough. I did exactly what XSL_WILL suggested: I took it to the LBS and they torqued it down with a lockring tool that had more depth.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Yeah.. as Blown and Civic said it is just a matter of the tool... the Shimano one allows you to do it correctly... I had another tool before that gave me some problems...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the help guys... Its kinda funny because I asked the guy at the LBS and he said it should self tighten (I hadn't even suggested the idea).

Cheers,
    Brett

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the help guys... Its kinda funny because I asked the guy at the LBS and he said it should self tighten (I hadn't even suggested the idea).

Cheers,
    Brett
    It can't self-tighten because the splines hold the adapter, and the adapter holds the rotor with the 6 pressed in pins. If the fit was a friction fit rather than a pinned, splined fit, then I could see the lockring self-tightening, but then it wouldn't be a very secure method of attaching the rotor.