mtbr member
    Aug 2005

IS or Centerlock?

Who likes what? Why?

Meh.
    My preference is IS because there are more hub and rotor options out there. But... assuming you have the normal sized centerlock... you can always throw on an adapter and run a 6 bolt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm currently running 140 on the rear and 160 front if that matters

mtbr member
    i like centerlock. i've seen too many stripped torx heads...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Can I find a 140mm centerlock? Is weight an issue with either system?

bi-winning
    I would be happy if everything was centrelock. They are SO much easier to take on and off.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Ok, just found one. Shimano. kinda pricey....

MTBR Demi-God
    I would also vote for centerlock. As mentioned by posters before, I find them to be comparatively easy to install on the hubs.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

Meh.
    There's a 140mm XTR centerlock rotor.

Yes, CL is slightly easier to install/remove... but how often do you really take your rotors off? And as long as you're using a quality torx wrench and not entering at an angle, you're not likely to strip that bolt.

I don't have a problem with CL... I just like that you have more options with 6 bolt... If more brands went to centerlock... I'd probably run it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm used to the 6 bolt rotors, so I'm fine with them. But I do have a set of centerlock hubs and they are definitely very easy to bolt on. Personally, a center lock hub with either the dt swiss or alligator adaptors looks about ideal - you get to use the 6 bolt rotors, but you have the easy install of the center lock hubs. Has anybody used these?

Boise
    Centerlock..........

ups and downs
    The only limitation with the centerlock adapters is in using Hope 6 bolt rotors, the center cutout is too small in diameter to clear the adapter. Other 6 bolt rotors work like a charm with the DT Swiss adapters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    The only limitation with the centerlock adapters is in using Hope 6 bolt rotors, the center cutout is too small in diameter to clear the adapter. Other 6 bolt rotors work like a charm with the DT Swiss adapters.
    Interesting - I'm assuming that this is for the Hope floating / 2 piece rotors?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I prefer 6 bolt as well...

as previously stated you have more options for hubs and brakes, and/or rotors. And my preferences in brakes and hubs seem to run to manufacturers that only offer 6 bolt. I have nothing against the centerlock system, it's simple and it works. But until my preferences change, or my prefered component manufacturers change, I'll stick with 6 bolt.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert
    Interesting - I'm assuming that this is for the Hope floating / 2 piece rotors?
    It is the case with the standard Hope Mono mini one piece rotors, I'm guessing the same would apply to the 2 piece, but I'm not sure. The 1 piece rotors are definitely too small in the middle for the DT Swiss adapter.

mtbr member
    My Mono Mini 2-piece work fine with an Alligator adapter. I was having a rubbing issue with the rivots hitting the post mount but was able to get rid of that so all is good.
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

pvd
    mtbr member
    Centerloc. They are lighter and easier. Also, you can use 6-bolt on a centerloc hub, but you can't use a centerloc on a six-bolt hub.