mtbr member
    Jan 2007

center-lock adapters

I'm looking at centerlock adapters for my shimano xt hubs. For any of you who have any experience with these, do the problem solvers or alligator adapters require lockrings? I don't want to dish out more than twice the money for the dt swiss. thanks.

Meh.
    I believe all of them need lockrings. I don't think the Alligator ones include them though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Looking at the design of the Problem Solvers adapters, the bolt that goes in from the side appears to be intended to lock the adapter to the splines by shrinking the diameter of the adapter to provide a locking fit. I haven't used them, but my eyes and brain tell me that is the way they work (read: no lockring required).

mtbr member
    I have both Problem Solvers and DT Swiss adapters, the Problem Solvers do not need a lock ring, they are pinch type and clamp onto the spline.

I prefer the DT Swiss (type), they are more 'elegant'

Meh.
    Ah, I didn't think of the Problem Solvers one. Good catch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    thanks a load guys. I saw on a website that you need a lockring to align the problem solvers correctly. did you?

Meh.
    I think that it certainly wouldn't hurt. But in all honesty, I have not used the Problem Solver adapters. I would as a preventative measure though.

mtbr member
    I have never used a lock-ring to align or pre-load the Problem Solver adapter, just press it on until it's all the way down and tighten. However, if the instruction say so, then by all means (mine didnot come with any instructions).

Meh.
    I'm just one of those very cautious people. Often times you don't have to face frames, chase threads, etc. I still prefer to.