mtbr member

Be careful spinning wheels w/ disc rotors

Last Saturday I got the bike down off the car rack and mounted the front wheel. I spun the wheel to check the disc brake clearance - the same as I've done hundreds of times. Well, like a doofus, I got my finger caught between the fork leg and the rotor. You can see how the rotor can be a very efficient guillotine. The tip wasn't completely severed and it looks like it will heal OK.

At least it wasn't as bad as this poor guy.
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?mo...iew&ANN_id=442

Don't get complacent like I did and be extra careful if little kids are around. It'll take their finger of in a nanosecond.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who count in binary, and those who don't.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Arrrrhhhhhhhh! Why'd ya have to show me that!

Next: Warning lables for disc rotors. But not just any warning lables, Zeotropic "animated" tales of bloody caution that appear only when the wheel is spinning!

...and I thought forbiding allen wrenches near resistance trainers was enough to live a painless, fruitful life!
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    hey Nate... that's why DD posted only a link... now this thread is no longer PG-13 :P

Luckily Tim is doing ok..although he did lost part of the finger..there are updates on his finger condition on OnOne's site...

I'm happy your finger is OK (given the circumstances) dD!

I bike long tyme.
    I was almost scared to open this thread and my fears were confirmed. Coulda been a lot worse man. Glad you're....kinda ok.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Always a scary sight! Heal fast!
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

MTBR Demi-God
    Holy smokes! At first I started to check to see if it was photoshopped... but just couldnt see it anymore!

Crisillo is right- its an "R" rated thread now.....

Hope you guys heal fast!
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried rounding the edges on rotors? It amazes me how sharp those edges are and it seems to only be because of they are stamped and the manufacturer doesn't machine the edges.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat
    Has anyone tried rounding the edges on rotors? It amazes me how sharp those edges are and it seems to only be because of they are stamped and the manufacturer doesn't machine the edges.
    I guess that'd be pretty quick and easy to do with a Dremel.

Trouble is, who's going to volunteer to "test" it to see if rounded edges really make much of a difference?

Hmmm... anybody up for conducting a hot dog chopping test? Maybe buffalo wings would be more appropriate, given the level of carnage we're viewing?
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Trouble is, who's going to volunteer to "test" it to see if rounded edges really make much of a difference?

Hmmm... anybody up for conducting a hot dog chopping test? Maybe buffalo wings would be more appropriate, given the level of carnage we're viewing?
    This sounds like discussion you'd see on a wood working forum about SawStop! All I can say is a rounded edge will cut much less than a sharp edge, especially with your caliper as an anvil. Only concern would be weakening the rotor by reducing the amount of material on those corners.

...seems to only be because of they are stamped and the manufacturer doesn't machine the edges.
    BTW, aren't rotors laser cut? I sort of assumed stamping would affect the trueness.

Not that it makes a difference to the sharpness issue.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

thecentralscrutinizer
    Ouch!!!!

Man, that's gonna hurt for a couple days.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    I once caught my index finger under the chain and against the chainring of my single speed. The chainring punctured my nail and I screamed like a little girl.
    Click That Sh*t

Rolling

Next: Warning lables for disc rotors. But not just any warning lables, Zeotropic "animated" tales of bloody caution that appear only when the wheel is spinning!
    Funny enough, I looked at the avid manual and the warning there was to watch the rotors when they are hot, not about sticking fingers in them.

However, Shimano has a clear warning about this type of injury.

BTW, more about Tim, the guy who cut the tip off.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?mo...iew&ANN_id=455

There is a really gross pic link in there as well if you can stomach those things, as well as the finger tip by itself. The click above doesn't show those pix--just an xray.
    Last edited by lidarman; 05-24-2007 at 12:53 PM.

Me hates pinchflat
    Hmm crisillo, I would be worried if I was you. Your rotors could chop a hand clean off
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

Ah, shucks, it'd be fun to post that second photo, but I'll hold off.

I came very close to doing this to three fingers on my left hand, with a brake rotor... attached to a Ford Ranger. The truck, uh, "got away from me" during some agressive (i.e. stupid) braking manuevers on the dirt, and the roof of the cab did a kung-foo karate chop on my hand, flailing out the open window as we rolled over.

Stopped just sort of any funky field amputation, and I've got all my digits with me. They ball up into a pretty funny looking fist.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I don't have the the ability to produce such a thing, but maybe a light plastic clip on disc cover could be made for the outside of the fork and rear drop out area I figure it would look something like the hubs on the Trek Lime. Yes it would add weight, but you're protecting yourself and loved ones. I can only imagine the strange accidents that could occur while falling off or next to a disc bike. Heal up!

Quote Originally Posted by 545cu4ch
    Hmm crisillo, I would be worried if I was you. Your rotors could chop a hand clean off

yeah.. that's why I keep my fingers out

Ah, shucks, it'd be fun to post that second photo, but I'll hold off.
    You mean the one of the little finger piece?

I came very close to doing this to three fingers on my left hand, with a brake rotor... attached to a Ford Ranger. The truck, uh, "got away from me" during some agressive (i.e. stupid) braking manuevers on the dirt, and the roof of the cab did a kung-foo karate chop on my hand, flailing out the open window as we rolled over.

Stopped just sort of any funky field amputation, and I've got all my digits with me. They ball up into a pretty funny looking fist.
    auch.. very close call...

Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    You mean the one of the little finger piece?
    Yeah, THIS PICTURE.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    I'm tempted to move my QR to the right side so it is away from the rotor. That might make it a little less likely to have the fingers near the 'knife'

I'm tempted to move my QR to the right side so it is away from the rotor. That might make it a little less likely to have the fingers near the 'knife'
    This also is a good preventive measure from keeping oily fingers from un-truing a rotor when tightening the QR lever. I'm a bit surprised when I see all these new bikes with QR levers still on the left side, for tradition's sake, I suppose.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    same thing happened to me a while back... it sucks so bad. i seriously shudder at the thought of my finger getting anywhere near a rotor now.

Me hates pinchflat
    I think im diching my discs for v-brakes now..
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

Tah
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Why I am loving my Hope floating rotor's the aluminum centre section the edges aren't near as sharp at a pure steel rotor.
    Fiancee swapped her Shimano chop saw's to Hopes last year as well.

nerfherder
    This thread makes me want to yak. My 22 month old son just got a major laceration on his thumb from a wheel that barely moved a couple degrees. Cut through his nail. He was not happy and we were freaked out. Heal fast.