Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    This is a reply that I got from Kettle Cycles with regards to my inquiry through their ticket system about the 180mm two piece rotors from Kickstarter commitment .

---5/16/2013 reply---

"We should have the rotors shipping out next week.

We understand the frustration of the extended wait. The push back of those who missed the second paragraph in the introduction and thought they were donating to launch a lighter rotor that behaved exactly like current steel rotors caused a major shift on our end.

The SFLs can be altered, two piece cannot be once fused. That fact, along with bringing along pads faster than we planned and doing all we can for the sfl backers got the time lines sideways and the material delays compounded to make matters worse. The grinder destroying several thousand in product was just icing on the cake. We have worked day and night and believe we have made the changes necessary to appease the 'just make it lighter' crowd and those who read the information and decided the refined braking we envisioned was appealing. No matter what our stopping distance data said, opinions written about "power loss" and criticizing the material as opposed to our chosen behavior meant we had to make changes to show the SiCCC material is the right material, when mated to the right pad, to be the brake rotor of the future in cycling.

Thank you for your patience and understanding."

I <3 dirt

Carbon Brake rotors

They sent that message to everyone on kickstarter

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    The mass reply comes across a little smug and conveys a staunch belief that they're product was not the problem but rather their customers had a duty to adjust to how Kettle feels brakes are supposed to function.

Am I off the mark here?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    The mass reply comes across a little smug and conveys a staunch belief that they're product was not the problem but rather their customers had a duty to adjust to how Kettle feels brakes are supposed to function.

Am I off the mark here?
    I do think they were quite clear on what they were trying to produce, and what I have read so far from a few people would suggest that they are justified in this response. People always perceived Hope brakes to be lacking in power due to the fantastic modulation as the majority considered power to be the on/off feeling of most brakes lacking in any type of modulation.

Before you ask, no I have not tried these rotors yet. I am waiting patiently for my SFL's to arrive. I run Hope V2's which have amazing power and modulation, but I do still need to pull the lever some distance due to this modulation. I don't consider this a problem, but a plus when it comes to complete control over my bike as on loose gravel you can slow super quick without any sliding. I'm hoping that these rotors will just give me the best allround braking performance you can get. Heres hoping!!

I <3 dirt

Carbon Brake rotors

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post

Am I off the mark here?
    I didn't feel that way at all. They've been honest this whole time IMO

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for the replies, I didn't want to make a snap judgment over the way that read to me.

I have a pair of the pre C processed units in 180/160 that I have yet to try. I'm running MT8's and am machining my own pads from carbenix. The Maguras are already great in the modulation department so I am a little unsure what to expect from this combo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Reading the reports on 'hucking kitty' about the carbenix pads, I think you will have a very good setup. I'm going to be ordering a load of these pads from Magura once they start producing them for the V2's.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Yes, Mr. Magura is the man. I was confident enough with his reports to go this route, now I just need to make it happen. Will be awesome to get some feedback from you with the V2's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    You can be assured I will be posting my findings once I receive my SFL rotors and get the chance to ride them once broken in. I was hoping to have them soon, but with all the set backs I'm probably looking at early June. This will at least give Magura the chance to start producing the pads I wish to use with them, so timings are looking good in this department.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Anyone got their two piece yet? If they shipped last week (per KC's mass email below), people should be getting them in this week.

Quote Originally Posted by JDaugherty View Post
    This is a reply that I got from Kettle Cycles with regards to my inquiry through their ticket system about the 180mm two piece rotors from Kickstarter commitment .

---5/16/2013 reply---

"We should have the rotors shipping out next week.

We understand the frustration of the extended wait. The push back of those who missed the second paragraph in the introduction and thought they were donating to launch a lighter rotor that behaved exactly like current steel rotors caused a major shift on our end.

The SFLs can be altered, two piece cannot be once fused. That fact, along with bringing along pads faster than we planned and doing all we can for the sfl backers got the time lines sideways and the material delays compounded to make matters worse. The grinder destroying several thousand in product was just icing on the cake. We have worked day and night and believe we have made the changes necessary to appease the 'just make it lighter' crowd and those who read the information and decided the refined braking we envisioned was appealing. No matter what our stopping distance data said, opinions written about "power loss" and criticizing the material as opposed to our chosen behavior meant we had to make changes to show the SiCCC material is the right material, when mated to the right pad, to be the brake rotor of the future in cycling.

Thank you for your patience and understanding."

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Has anyone experienced squeling noise with Formula R1 brakes and Formula organic pads?

I only mounted the front forst, braking is ok with lots of modulation, nut that noise!

On a downhill or rapid stop to a standstill they are ok, but for modulating speed on a singletrack the noise is killing me.

What pads are you guys using with R1's?

I <3 dirt

Carbon Brake rotors

Quote Originally Posted by nsxtc View Post
    Anyone got their two piece yet? If they shipped last week (per KC's mass email below), people should be getting them in this week.
    Nope. Still waiting.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Well the good news for me is that Kettle has effectively cured me of supporting any Kickstarter programs. This may eventually (I hope) turn out to be a great product if they can ever get it produced. Hopefully Kettle, can get a handle on their production issues and try to create some positive marketing spin going forward rather than over promising and under delivering.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Carbon Brake rotors

+1
    It's now 7 months since I paid for mr sfl rotors and 5 months since they were due for delivery. It's 4 months since they were posted to me and 2 months since I lost faith in Kettle.
    I still have received no rotors.
    They say the first set was not claimed and returned to sender.
    They say they posted a second set but have provided no evidence of that to this date.
    Now they say they will c process the first set that was returned to sender and send them to me but this will take a few more weeks.
    So over this.

Thumper
    I must add my full Kettle Cycles SFL Rotor review now.

I received my SFL's a few weeks after original specified delivery date.
    Company contact was always there from emails to calls.
    I did have trouble preventing one slight drag spot in my Formula R1's as it is tiiiight.
    I did small burn ins and took them out to trails. I was very worried from reading this thread but on every extreme xc ride I went on, these worked as as good as it gets, like my Hopes on Hope rotors. I'm 145lbs with a 16lb bike and ride hard. No fade. I love them.

I agree as a business, Kettle could have speculated the amount of orders they were going to get but if you own a small business, that is very hard to do. They could have gave better delivery estimates but that is hard to do not knowing the demand would be so high. And from what I hear, better quality control from the get go would have been better for them as well as the consumer. I did not have this problem.

But from my experience for a new, small company with an innovative product and a more than expected wave of orders right out of the gate, I would like to commend them.

It's small companies like this that need support to produce great things for us that other big corporates won't. From what I understand they are fixing issues from what I understand others are having. What else could you ask for from a new, small company company with an innovative product.

Mine are crazy light and work great!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Does anyone else think of the Louis CK bit when they read this thread?
    "Everything is amazing and nobody is happy" - Video Dailymotion
    Skip to 3:50 for the part that I am thinking about.

I understand that you bought a product on kickstarter and think that you are owed something. The company is a startup and bumps in the road are expected. You did not buy a manufactured product from an established company. You invested into a startup company and pre-ordered something in the hopes that they could deliver.

Everything I have heard is that Kettle is working hard to make everyone happy. They have a lot more invested into making this product work than you do and probably want it to succeed more than anyone else. I am sure they want this to be a profitable venture for them.

Like I said, I'm not saying that you should be happy about it. But, I don't understand why everyone is so surprised that there are bumps in the road and angry.

Back in November I suggested that the guy sitting in his kitchen in the townhome in the middle of Illinios might be incapable of manufacturing a suitable product, and I pointed out how he was lying about the nationwide support that he claimed he had. The pedants jumped all over me, pointing out my lack of knowledge about modern business practices and how they were experts in carbon fiber technology. To them I ask, how much more money and time is needed to fulfill the promises? To the unfortunate majority who now have an inferior product or nothing at all, chalk this one up as a learning experience.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Rusty, please take you blind speculation elsewhere. Everything you post about Kettle is just plain wrong.

What's incorrect, tequeman? Did you not read his web page naming a nationwide network of dealers that did not exist? Has he now moved out of his condo and into a legitimate place of business? EVERYTHING that I posted about this fiasco was 100% accurate as of 11/10/2012. Has something changed?

What is YOUR connection with this enterprise that gives you such keen insight?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
    an inferior product.
    sounds like it just doesn't have the same stopping power but better modulation and people expected the power. If they had been upfront about that it would have avoided confusion and been better for kettle as well as the customer

I <3 dirt

Carbon Brake rotors

My trail brakes have all the stopping power I need and not enough modulation so I'm hoping these are the perfect cure to get some feel into my brakes. I'm still hopeful

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Whilst I didn't participate in the Kick Starter, I did so because of the level of risk that was potentially there. That's what happens sometimes, and why the price is cheaper.

We are so used to now with the internet based stores getting something so quick and easy, that when it sometiomes doesn't go right (for a variety of reasons), we are quite upset.

I'm hanging back for a while, but will still give these a go when the dust has settled. The penalty will be added cost, but I'll wear that.

In the meantime, I'm doing something else with my brake system whilst I wait.

I hope that they get it sorted, it seems like they are really trying, but not making the headway that will keep people happy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
    Whilst I didn't participate in the Kick Starter, I did so because of the level of risk that was potentially there. That's what happens sometimes, and why the price is cheaper.

We are so used to now with the internet based stores getting something so quick and easy, that when it sometiomes doesn't go right (for a variety of reasons), we are quite upset.

I'm hanging back for a while, but will still give these a go when the dust has settled. The penalty will be added cost, but I'll wear that.

In the meantime, I'm doing something else with my brake system whilst I wait.

I hope that they get it sorted, it seems like they are really trying, but not making the headway that will keep people happy.
    I think we all understood that this was a start up and new it was untested in the mtb industry. I took heart in the fact the product is used on race cars and race motorcycles, so was comfortable that the product could work for our application. But the problem is that they keep updating their kickstarter funders and sites and continue to miss their own dates. I also understand that projecting a date of March in November was a guess and if they met that target it would have been great. I gave them a window of 30-45 days to work it out. But in April when you project a date of the end of May and you miss it? The last update two weeks ago was we'll start shipping next week and then nothing? Radio silence.

Today, their FB states large batches from the grinder with an update soon. Here's hoping the product works as advertised and they can figure out their timing issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Agree, missing dates more than once is not good, and lack of info hurts ,but they seem to be trying.

I'm still interested

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    So, What does SFL stand for?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Super fu&$ing light? So freaking late?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have had 2 sets for ages now and am really happy with the product

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Uh, how can that be? Some of us haven't even received our first order yet and its only been 4 months since they've started shipping.

Are these carbon rotors other than the KC one?

Quote Originally Posted by ctguru View Post
    I have had 2 sets for ages now and am really happy with the product
    Last edited by nsxtc; 06-14-2013 at 11:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Brilliant!

SFL=

Quote Originally Posted by someoldfart View Post
    So freaking late?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Carbon Brake rotors

Uh, how can that be? Some of us haven't even received our first order yet and its only been 4 months since they've started shipping.

Are these carbon rotors other than the KC one?
    Ages?

Well I've had 2 sets since the 15th March and use them nearly everyday on my off-road commute to work

I think 3 months of use is ages in this context

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Hope WTF! My money is being held hostage:)

Ages?

Well I've had 2 sets since the 15th March and use them nearly everyday on my off-road commute to work

I think 3 months of use is ages in this context
    Weeks, months of broken promises and excuses for the 2piece rotors!
    From the latest update, they might end up offering the ugly arse SFL rotors for the 2 piece because they seem to be ruining into issues with them. What the f$€£ happened to "everything looks good, and they should be rolling out next week"! Grinding my teeth and pulling my hair out--- I would start firing people if I was their CEO. 2 piece kickstarter would get discounts on future products....hmn... I don't know. They can't even get the 2 piece right. I'd say give us some loaners til they get the 2 piece right....

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Where/how did you get the last update? I've been sending emails and no responses.

I'm OK about the delays, but come on KC, reach out to your Kickstarter supporters and keep them up to date. It's all about setting expectations. Right now, we have none.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by someoldfart View Post
    Super fu&$ing light? So freaking late?
    Harsh, but funny.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

bike rider
    I got a 180 & 203mm SFL set in March for my enduro bike. back then they said they worked great with Formula sintered pads. After burn-in everything was great except they weren't very straight and rubbed. I straightened them the same way you would with steel but they kept retaking their warped shape and eventually the rear snapped from my bending it. Kettle said their first batch didn't come out as straight as they wanted and they'd since changed grinding partners. I sent both rotors back and just received the replacements (along with 160 & 203mm sets for my XC and DH bikes). I noticed that they now say to only use resin/organic pads with them. I'll email them about the change in recommendation but since I have some Formula Organic pads I'll try them. I haven't mounted them yet to verify the straightness. That's happening in an hour.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I got a 180 & 203mm SFL set in March for my enduro bike. back then they said they worked great with Formula sintered pads. After burn-in everything was great except they weren't very straight and rubbed. I straightened them the same way you would with steel but they kept retaking their warped shape and eventually the rear snapped from my bending it. Kettle said their first batch didn't come out as straight as they wanted and they'd since changed grinding partners. I sent both rotors back and just received the replacements (along with 160 & 203mm sets for my XC and DH bikes). I noticed that they now say to only use resin/organic pads with them. I'll email them about the change in recommendation but since I have some Formula Organic pads I'll try them. I haven't mounted them yet to verify the straightness. That's happening in an hour.
    IMO I think the rotors are flat/staright/true when new, but at soon as you put them on (even with a torque wrench), they crush differently at the bolts when tightened (hope this makes sense). They seem to deform on the hub/inner side of the rotor and not the bolt side

I think they need to come with some kind of washer system to distribute the load when they are tightened on the hub

just my 2 cents

bike rider
    I suspected this but I was careful to evenly torque them and Kettle didn't say anything about it. They made it sound like they had heard of some wobbly rotors and the newer run is straighter. I'll find out in a minute.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I took mine off recently to have a look and thats when I found the crushing against the hub. I also used a torque wrench to their specs

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Where/how did you get the last update? I've been sending emails and no responses.

I'm OK about the delays, but come on KC, reach out to your Kickstarter supporters and keep them up to date. It's all about setting expectations. Right now, we have none.
    It's on their website. Updates

Read the last paragraph - 2 piece resolution in days - that was posted on June 6th. I guess they have a different definition of resolution in days....

bike rider
    I installed the new rotors on my DH bike with Formula organic pads and everything's greqt. They are dead straight and ran drag free all day. I figured they'd burn in during my first couple runs but surprisingly power and feel were great right from the start.

bike rider
    I put the replacement 2nd gen 7 & 8" rotors on my enduro bike today and same thing goes as above. They're perfect but having never used organic pads before I'm anxious to see what pad life will be. I've always gotten really long life with sintered & steel rotors and over the winter the sintered pads I used with the 1st gen SiCCC rotors showed little wear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Just a request for future comments on the performance of these brake discs: please specify if you have the C-processed version or the older one. I'm very interested in any input on the newest revision, especially when paired with the proprietary brake pads (but these may not be available yet?).

bike rider
    ^"New, replacement, and 2nd gen" means c-processed. I haven't heard anything about brake pads but I'll get a pair when they're available to compare to the Formula organics.

Maromero
    ^"New, replacement, and 2nd gen" means c-processed.
    Good to know that at least someone finally got the C-processed rotors back, it gives me some hope to receive mine in the near future.
    There is not much info from Kettle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Carbon Brake rotors

I put the replacement 2nd gen 7 & 8" rotors on my enduro bike today and same thing goes as above. They're perfect but having never used organic pads before I'm anxious to see what pad life will be. I've always gotten really long life with sintered & steel rotors and over the winter the sintered pads I used with the 1st gen SiCCC rotors showed little wear.
    I'm 3 months on organic and still going strong with Avid orig pads

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    @ ctguru

Is that with original SFL rotors or the 'c' processed ones ?

I'm guessing that it's the original ones ?

No minor warping issues at all ? Have you found that the grip levels have chnaged since you started ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    @ ctguru

Is that with original SFL rotors or the 'c' processed ones ?

I'm guessing that it's the original ones ?

No minor warping issues at all ? Have you found that the grip levels have chnaged since you started ?
    originals

I've got 2 sets, one is true and the other a bit warped on the hub

I haven't taken them off to see if its the hub or the disc that's causing the warping

Grip levels are al ot better than when I first put them on, they took ages to bed in

I'm happy with them, apart from the waqrped ones are a bit noisy and don't stop as good due to the warp. when I get a chance I will take them off and see if the disc is warped.

As I said before I think some of the warping is due to the epoxy crushing at different rates when you mount them to your hub, even if you use a torque wrench

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Bought a pair from R-2 bikes in Germany back in April and finally got the shipping info from them today. Looking on their web site they have them in stock so the new C process rotors are rolling out to the masses! can't wait to give them a burn in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I used rotor shims Universal Cycles -- Syntace 0.2mm Disc Brake Rotor Shims under the bolts to try and prevent the warping issue people are seeing. I have not had any issues. I have been running the original v1's with xx organic pads. No complaints here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gotfish8 View Post
    I used rotor shims Universal Cycles -- Syntace 0.2mm Disc Brake Rotor Shims under the bolts to try and prevent the warping issue people are seeing. I have not had any issues. I have been running the original v1's with xx organic pads. No complaints here.
    great idea, just ordered some

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Some others have suggested something similar (from American Classic)

DISC REINFORCING RING

But the overall consensus is that this isn't really sufficient, as it doesn't provide the level of stiffness required , and that something that is closer to 3mm in thickness is better.

Then promptly made some of these ...

http://huckingkitty.com/forums/downl...=626&mode=view

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Some others have suggested something similar (from American Classic)

DISC REINFORCING RING

But the overall consensus is that this isn't really sufficient, as it doesn't provide the level of stiffness required , and that something that is closer to 3mm in thickness is better.

Then promptly made some of these ...

http://huckingkitty.com/forums/downl...=626&mode=view
    not sure I understand

I'm using the shim to distribute load on the carbon rotor, so when tightning the epoxy doesn't crush

not using shim to stiffen rotor

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

So annoyed!

Where are my 2 piece Rotors???
    Can't get a straight answer from these guys. Original release was in March. It's almost July dammit A friend told me that they're re designing the two piece rotors and scrapping the old version..... Simply means longer waiting time!
    Sucks!!!

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bayareaflip View Post
    Where are my 2 piece Rotors???
    Can't get a straight answer from these guys. Original release was in March. It's almost July dammit A friend told me that they're re designing the two piece rotors and scrapping the old version..... Simply means longer waiting time!
    Sucks!!!
    The short answer is, "It's gonna be a while." The 2 piece rotors should solve the problems people are experiencing with the 1 piece rotors when mounting to spindly disc mounts. However, the 1 piece are available in every size right now. So, spend a little more, maybe use shims to help support the rotor if your hub's disc tabs are small, and have a lighter rotor right now. Or wait an unspecified amount of time for a product that's not available yet but will be cheaper, a little heavier, and likely run straighter on any hub.

In the bike industry you're often dealing with small companies that run into production problems usually because of issues with their suppliers. Don't count on anything being available until the day it ships. I understand some people paid way in advance and are bummed over the long delay but you took that risk on a new company and a future product. I waited till they said the rotors I wanted were available, ordered, and have been riding them happily since.

The whole pay-in-advance Kickstarter thing is a little weird but you chose to participate in it. Besides that, this situation is no different than the Ibis Ripley, DVO Emerald, and numerous other MTB products whose development times ran way past their anticipated release dates.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    not sure I understand

I'm using the shim to distribute load on the carbon rotor, so when tightning the epoxy doesn't crush

not using shim to stiffen rotor
    The thicker 'plate' is not to stiffen the rotor, but to better distribute the clamping load.

The thinner shims will do something, but will still allow more local deformation than the thicker 'plate'.

For some, the thinner shims may be suitable, but for others not.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The thicker 'plate' is not to stiffen the rotor, but to better distribute the clamping load.

The thinner shims will do something, but will still allow more local deformation than the thicker 'plate'.

For some, the thinner shims may be suitable, but for others not.
    no worries

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Got my C process SFL 180mm rotors the other day and had a chance to install them today. Running them with Hope Tech Evo V2's with EBC red pads.

These rotors are just the best. Super light, saving just over 100g per rotor. Very quick to burn in getting the front and rear to lock with very little braking action in a few brake burns. If anything I think I would have preferred the original incarnation of these rotors with more modulation, not that I need it with the Hope brakes.

Very quickly they have produced a strong braking performance. I have used Hope rotor spacers on top to spread the load of the bolts and didn't hear any unwanted noises when torquing up the bolts.

First proper ride tomorrow morning so expecting them to just get better and better the longer into the ride. So far top marks to Kettle cycles for these rotors.

Maromero
    Hoping to be able to say the same about them. When? well, who knows....
    Still waiting for the C-processed, two and a half months and counting

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje View Post
    Hoping to be able to say the same about them. When? well, who knows....
    Still waiting for the C-processed, two and a half months and counting

bike rider
    ^For 1 piece or 2 piece?

Maromero
    ^For 1 piece or 2 piece?
    Original SFL, sent back for C-processing, the lack of info from Kettle is what is killing us.
    We'll keep waiting until........

mtbr member
    I have kickstarter 180/160 SFL rotors for sale if anyone is interested. $150 for both. They are NOT "C" prcessed yet. I just don't want to deal with it anymore, going back to steel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm interested. How much postage to the UK?

mtbr member
    I send you a PM. anyone else interested just send me a PM. so as not to derail the thread any further...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Original SFL, sent back for C-processing, the lack of info from Kettle is what is killing us.
    We'll keep waiting until........
    Same here. Sent in my 200 and 160 in for C-processing as soon as they offered it and the last response I've had was 2 weeks ago saying they would ship no later than a few days from then. Both of mine were warped, the 180 barely and 200 pretty bad. Laying it on a machinist's straight edge you could see the deviation in the rotor itself, so I don't think it's coming from the mounting so much as it is the rotor that's simply warped and no way of "straightening" them. :-/ They claimed they are going to fix that too(??). Waiting...
    Last edited by colmor; 07-01-2013 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Rear was a 160, not 180, that was sent in.

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004
    They've had my rotors for c-processing since May 15th. Multiple emails and Facebook heckling have failed to produce a response. Has anyone received any info from Kettle? I'm all for supporting the little guy making cool stuff, but the lack of communication is annoying and unprofessional.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    And suddenly, they arrived in the mail today! Just did some burning in and I will say that the the C-processing gives much better grip. After 10 burn-in passes they already feel to have about twice the stopping grip over the originals when they were fully bedded in. They aren't the same grip as steel, yet, time might deal with that.
    Kettle Cycles upgraded my back rotor from a 160 to a 180!
    And I think I might have the very first C200.
    Carbon Brake rotors-img_20130701_192913.jpg

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by colmor View Post
    And suddenly, they arrived in the mail today! And I think I might have the very first C200.
    When did you send them for C-processing? Trying to figure out when mine could be sent back.
    Last edited by doccoraje; 07-02-2013 at 05:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I had sent them in around Apr 20.

Maromero
    Thanks, it gives some hope, my order was on Apr 22.

bike rider
    It's odd that people are experiencing a varying degree of customer service. All my emails have been replied to quickly and today I got a phone call asking if I'd recieved my 160s yet. While on the phone he said carbon pads will be ready to ship in less than a month.

I <3 dirt

Carbon Brake rotors

As far as communication goes, I've had nothing but good experiences, i've exchanged emails and phone calls without issue.

Just painfully and anxiously waiting for 2 piece rotors.

Maromero
    Well, I just got an email!!! and it seems great news.
    "Hello,
    C-processed Rotors are returning from the grinder in batches next week.
    And replacement rotors are right behind those.
    In order to ensure the best ride experience – we suggest using our pads and not pads designed for steel. And for the wait - we are including a set of our pads per rotor, free of charge.
    As we prepare to ship these back, we will fix international orders that should not have been charged shipping. If you paid for our pads when you filled out the c-processing 'order' we will refund those."

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Anyone got their 2 piece yet? Radio silent from KC. Bueller?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nope. Still waiting since mid-May. Best 1000$ I have spend in a while ;-)

Maromero
    Anyone got their 2 piece yet? Radio silent from KC.
    Not about two pieces but, I got an e-mail from them 8 days ago:

"Rotors are now ready to ship. We are going to provide free SiCCC pads to all customers who have experienced a long wait for their product. Pads will be ready in about three weeks. You qualify for free pads but we cannot afford to send the pads and rotors separately. If you would like I can send your rotors today but you would not receive the free SiCCC pads in that case.
    Please let me know how you would like to move forward."

I've been waiting enough time not to care for an extra 3 weeks, well.... I guess it will be a little bit more than that, but anyway, I'll keep waiting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Not about two pieces but, I got an e-mail from them 8 days ago:

"Rotors are now ready to ship. We are going to provide free SiCCC pads to all customers who have experienced a long wait for their product. Pads will be ready in about three weeks. You qualify for free pads but we cannot afford to send the pads and rotors separately. If you would like I can send your rotors today but you would not receive the free SiCCC pads in that case.
    Please let me know how you would like to move forward."

I've been waiting enough time not to care for an extra 3 weeks, well.... I guess it will be a little bit more than that, but anyway, I'll keep waiting.
    Interesting. I got the notice that they will ship pads with the rotors, but didn't hear that the two piece rotors were ready to ship. 50 days since their last official update on their site, but nothing about having the two piece ready. Goes to show you that no matter the product you still need good marketing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Oh well, I'll keep my money in the pocket for now ....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have not recieved any email about free pads. For how long have you been waiting doccoraje, to qualify for this gracious gift?

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by Svend P View Post
    I have not recieved any email about free pads. For how long have you been waiting doccoraje, to qualify for this gracious gift?
    They received my SFL for C-processing on April 22, they were part of the second kickstarter batch.

mtbr member
    Do you guys think they've made a run with our money (and rotors)?

I was on the third Kickstarter batch.

Upon inspection, I noticed that one of the rotors I received had a flaw on the braking surface near the edge. It looked like it was missing a layer there. It was very noticeable at plain sight and I could clearly feel it when I ran my finger over it. I don't understand how their quality control could have missed something like this.

Considering their rotors are C-processed now, I asked them if I had to return both my rotors if I wanted them to perform identically? Their answer was yes.

I returned the rotors by Registered Airmail out of my own pocket. I live in Argentina, so postage wasn't cheap. Tracking shows my package was delivered on May 28.

They promised they would send me the replacements on June 10, but they didn't do it.

After that, they didn't reply to any of my following messages.

It's been two months since they received my rotors and it seems they've decided to keep them (and my money).

I'm considering reporting them to Kickstarter and Amazon.

Anyone who's thinking about getting their rotors should avoid them like the plague.

Carbon Brake rotors-defectivesicccrotor01s.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have a feeling these boys got a bit more then they bargained for.

I would like to try one of their rotors but I will wait until their problems are sorted out!

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by sfer1 View Post
    Do you guys think they've made a run with our money (and rotors).
    They promised they would send me the replacements on June 10, but they didn't do it.
    After that, they didn't reply to any of my following messages.
    It's been two months since they received my rotors and it seems they've decided to keep them (and my money).
    I'm considering reporting them to Kickstarter and Amazon.
    I don't think they will run away with our money..and rotors, they are certainly lacking a lot of communicatiion skills and that for a starting bussines is not the best way to gain new customers or keep the existing ones.
    They never gave me an estimate for shipping after sending my rotors for C-processing, now they say three weeks for rotors and the "gracious pad gift", but, I'll wait 'till I get them to test and then either bash or praise them.
    Last edited by doccoraje; 07-27-2013 at 12:37 PM.

RIDE...
    -I havent recieved mines yet, they were sent on April Also...

mtbr member
    By avoid like the plague I figure you mean avoid if you are not willing to play a part in the development and manufacturing of a new cycling product…….

Its not like sending an ill fitting pair of shoes back to Zappos... These guys are making something cool enough that you went out on a limb for once (Purchasing a completely unproven new product that no other major company has even attempted) so lets try and keep things in perspective. Also, one of my rotors looks like this as well and when I asked about it (Back when this thread only had like 5 pages) they said it was not a big deal, but they will replace it if I want.

Just got off the phone with Will at Kettle, as I called earlier and did not leave a message. They called me back to make sure that if I needed something it was taken care of right away. This interaction as well as every other interaction with Kettle leads me to believe they are a good company trying hard to provide good service with minimal staff while dealing with challenging engineering and production issues. So please use your best judgment when making claims about their business practices IE possibly keeping it to yourself if you feel they are keeping your product and funds as: A) it is simply not true B) it makes you look bad C) its slander.

From what I understand they hired an outside 'friction specialist' company to make the new pads and when those are completed, as well as changes to the SFL rotors to make them mount true, they will be over the first few challenges that we have been discussing on this thread. These changes are per customer feedback so, again, I believe they are doing everything they can to tackle an exciting new product that no other manufacture has put any real effort into.

I am excited about all the hard riding I've done to date on my (Somewhat underpowered) SFL rotors and look forward to seeing how these next few pieces of the system play out.

mtbr member
    You have 4 posts, all of them to defend this company. Your experience seems to differ from the majority of the reviews on this site. Do you work for them?

I <3 dirt

Carbon Brake rotors

To defend the defender I've had some phone conversations with them as well (waiting for 2 piece rotors still) and they've always been up front and honest with me.

In my opinion I think they messed up with trying to make everyone happy. Originally they made what they said they were going to make as far as performance goes. They could of come out with a second or another version with the c processing done.

It completely sucks I still haven't been able to even try these things and its been months past when they were supposed to be done now but I'd rather get a finished product "eventually" then get one that fails.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I have a set of the non C processed discs in 160/180 and was to scared to take the bike off road with them, they simply lacked the power to feel confident I could control the bike.

I do intend to try again with the C processed units in 180/203 and agree that the company deserves props for utilizing this tech for mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    I was on this site close to 10 years ago but stopped mountain biking or buying new bikes for over a decade. Just this year I decided to buy a decked out 29er and I wanted to make it as light as possible for a 190lbs rider. Dropping 100+ grams on the rotors with less brake fade was something I got pretty excited about, so I viewed this forum and did as much information gathering as I could before my purchase.

I posted to provide some realistic feedback on the performance of the brake rotors in real world conditions. To date, my post is one of if not the only review that gives a thorough rundown of the performance of the product including the terrain, speed, and distance it was used on. In terms of "defending the company" I would prefer to think that I am defending the level of discourse on the thread, and in this train of thought there is an edit button if anyone is so inclined..... I have zero affiliation with the bicycle industry including kettle.

My experience is different from many of the others in that I didn't believe the marketing hype to begin with and had expectations of performance below what was claimed. Also, I actually used the rotors and put some decent miles on them. I think a lot of my being able to use the rotors has to do with the pads. Swiss Stop organic works pretty well, I also have very large hands so putting pressure on the lever doesent cause much fatigue.

I agree with ilikemtb in that the company really went wrong when they made a promise a bit too strong before testing the product in mountainous terrain (Buying mtb products from guys who filmed test videos in Central Indiana was suspect to me), and that they set an expectation that they had a resolution to the friction issue when they only had a partial solution. This is the kind of tech that can really push the envelope down the line with bikes. Imagine dropping 100+grams per rim off of deep dish aero road wheels and only adding 30-40 at the center of the hub with no fade on long descent.

If anyone has the rotors and has not used them I suggest that you do, feel free to read my original review as I stand by it. That being said I will use the new pads when they come out (I've already paid for mine and am waiting) and I'm upping to a 180 front.

Carbon Brake rotors

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've had my 180 c processed SFL rotors on now for around 20 rides. I run them with ebc red pads using Hope V2 brakes and I 1 finger brake. I also use the Hope 2mm disc rotor spacers to help spread the load from the fixing bolts to secure them evenly which hopefully will help keep them mounted true.

I'm a massive fan of these rotors, the performance is nothing but superb. I've used them on rolling terrain over 54 mile rides and on very steep descents over loose rocks, pea shingle and slippery roots at very high speeds (I regularly reach speeds of between 25-45 miles per hour of road on rough terrain, and I only care for the down hill section times on strava!) These rotors give you the ultimate control, not once have I come close to locking up a wheel unless I intended too. Front wheel braking control is sublime, they give you complete confidence that you won't slide the front end when braking because you get so much feel/feed back on what your input is and the results your getting. The power keeps coming the more you pull on the brakes, so no on/off feel or loads of power to then fade, just more and more power!

They help you to be faster on the descents because you only scrub the speed you need to or intend to, letting you carry the speed through the corner and keep the flow.
    I know I'm using the ultimate performing brakes anyway but I'm comparing the results to when I ran hope floating 183 rotors.

It's a bonus that you loose loads of weight as well. Also I noticed that pad wear is reduced significantly with these rotors, again another added bonus.

These rotors are worth the wait, so I would suggest everyone to be patient as you will have these on your bikes for the rest of your riding lives once you give them a shot.

bike rider
    ^I agree that pad life seems longer with these than Formula R1 rotors. They also have stayed dead silent for 6 months now. The solid surface seems like a good idea. I haven't had any pad glazing or seen other reasons why holes scraping the pad face would be preferable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Promising, waiting for good news and I will get a 180mm rotor for my formula rx's(front)

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    I have a question about the pads, if anyone is running theirs yet.

I swap wheelsets depending on riding conditions, and one set does not have the carbon rotors, just metal. If I do go with the carbon pads, how are they on metal rotors?

(Other option would be for me to buy a second set of carbon rotors for the other wheeset , $$$, or swap out the pads each time, which would be a pain.)

bike rider
    Don't use these pads on steel rotors.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Guys,I have tried and tested those disk ( 160mm) and with both metallic and organic pads,they are not where near my hope disks ( with Formula R1 set-up)

These are just good enough to go to supermarket , that is it, total waste of money.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lepave View Post
    Guys,I have tried and tested those disk ( 160mm) and with both metallic and organic pads,they are not where near my hope disks ( with Formula R1 set-up)

These are just good enough to go to supermarket , that is it, total waste of money.
    bit harsh for a 1st post
    How long did you try them for? they take a while to bed in

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Talking rubbish in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Carbon Brake rotors

Quote Originally Posted by ruscle View Post
    Talking rubbish in my opinion.
    Agree.......

mtbr member

Obvious troll - NOBODY uses brakes to go to the supermarket.

Huckin' trails

Carbon Brake rotors

Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Obvious troll - NOBODY uses brakes to go to the supermarket.
    Funny as if you translate is username in English, it would read Thewreck. I agree on rubbish talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I had them and wasted at least 5-6 outing ( around 100km) and yes i did bed them In properly with both pads.....total waste of money and time..... I have read some post where riders mentioned that in some occasion they are " ok" but come on , we need brakes that can do all without any worry and safety.

Members who have read this thread: 191