Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I'm going to back them as well shortly. I was waiting like a knucklehead for others to do it first

mtbr member
    Well, if I had an extra $150 I would get in on it.

Gigantic Hawk
    I got in on this early. I think I was the 5th or 6th backer for a set of 160mm SFL's. I'm excited to see how these come out, and I'll do a full write up on them when they arrive.

Maromero
    Great comunication from Kettle.
    I couldn't find any reference to thickness of their rotors either on their site or posts in here, so I asked them, I got response in less than an hour.
    Just in case someone had the same question, 1.9 mm I was told by Aaron.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Very interested in this, but I run Hope V2 brakes with 183mm rotors. The V2's require a slightly larger track surface for the calliper to clamp onto. The 2 piece rotor looks like it has a deeper track but they are only making them in 180mm sizes, but I imagine the extra 3mm won't make much difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruscle View Post
    Very interested in this, but I run Hope V2 brakes with 183mm rotors. The V2's require a slightly larger track surface for the calliper to clamp onto. The 2 piece rotor looks like it has a deeper track but they are only making them in 180mm sizes, but I imagine the extra 3mm won't make much difference.
    Not true, only issue would be the 2 piece. I have run the V2 and now the V4 and they all run the same rotors as the rest. It should work, given they work for all other normal rotors as well. Only the vented won't work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    but the carbon rotors only brake at very high temperature

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PSICODROMO View Post
    Is it really necessary?

Do top mtb'ers have this kit? Often the answer is no

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by PSICODROMO View Post
    May I recommend you do a bit of research before throwing out claims?

The above claim is as far from the facts as possible.

I happen to have worked with designing composite friction systems, and have even made a composite brake for my bike. My experience, and just about any substantiated fact you can find, says pretty much the opposite.

One thing I often wonder, is why people find it a must, to claim knowledge, about things they have no idea about?

Magura

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
    Is it really necessary?

Do top mtb'ers have this kit? Often the answer is no
    Top mtb'ers don't have this sort of technology yet, as so far the only person or company, I know of that have been willing to spend the amount of cash it takes, till these guys came along, has been me.

Magura

mtbr member
    It will be interesting if weight is reduced & benefits of stopping power & low heat - from what you posted earlier sounds a future... If the price is right for the masses, I doubt it for now... I can see DH & Enduro riders probably utilizing its stopping power. Like another topic I read it's not going to add seconds of value in a straightforward measure yet. Unless weight is significant. Interesting anyway.

Ridley came out with new hidden integrated brakes on their top range race road cycles and thus futurism is what I enjoy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    so i guess they don't warp so no need to true? I would like to try out a 180 just because it looks so friggin cool

DIY all the way
    It will be interesting if weight is reduced & benefits of stopping power & low heat - from what you posted earlier sounds a future... If the price is right for the masses, I doubt it for now... I can see DH & Enduro riders probably utilizing its stopping power. Like another topic I read it's not going to add seconds of value in a straightforward measure yet. Unless weight is significant. Interesting anyway.

Ridley came out with new hidden integrated brakes on their top range race road cycles and thus futurism is what I enjoy.
    I'd say 100$ is pretty much a reasonable price, at least low enough to bring it down in the range that most would be able to consider.

The real interesting benefit, besides low weight and more power, is very low static friction.

That sure offers a benefit you can see on the stop watch, as it allows you to brake harder, with much higher threshold for the wheel to lock up.

As I mentioned earlier, I sure like mine, and this would be one of the real nice features, that I have gotten used to enjoy, and would be a benefit in a race situation as well.

Magura

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by natrat View Post
    so i guess they don't warp so no need to true? I would like to try out a 180 just because it looks so friggin cool
    To true ceramics????

That sounds like a very bad idea

Magura

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

@ $70 for the two piece it is less than buying replacement rotors for my Formulas. I think I am most interested in long term durability which is (at least in theory) one of the big advantages of this set-up. Second place for me is overheating of break rotors - rare for me as a recreational rider but it does happen. The weight change is nice, but to tell the truth I'd rather have the 2-piece than the SFL - I just think they look cool as hell. And as of yet outside of my experience is the very low stiction point of this material - there are a lot of potential benefits to this if the learning curve isn't too steep, and if the stiction point isn't so low that you can't lock-up a wheel when you want/need to..

mtbr member
    @aAgaro

It's a very interesting read as I just finished reading about it! 40g wow, very interesting. Affordable too. Curious to hear test trails come on MTB mags & bikeradar

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by AaGro View Post
    @ And as of yet outside of my experience is the very low stiction point of this material - there are a lot of potential benefits to this if the learning curve isn't too steep, and if the stiction point isn't so low that you can't lock-up a wheel when you want/need to..
    Mine has no problem locking up the wheel, if I want to, there is just much less risk of locking up the wheel, when breaking hard.
    I would expect those brakes are working more or less the same way.

Keep in mind that you actually have more power, so the situation where I have seen the benefit, is when breaking hard, with uneven grip. Usually you'd have to brake less hard, to avoid locking up the wheel, when braking under such conditions.

Also once you learn to control it, you will find that if the wheel stops rolling when braking across a rut or the like, the wheel will start rolling again once traction is restored.
    This takes some getting used to, as normal response to such an incident, is to ease off on the lever quite a bit, to get the wheel rolling.

For a racer, this could very well save a significant amount of time.
    I am no racer however, but I like that it saves me a nasty situation from time to time, and brings confidence to breaking harder than usual.

Magura

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

V2 compatibility with 2 piece rotors

Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    Not true, only issue would be the 2 piece. I have run the V2 and now the V4 and they all run the same rotors as the rest. It should work, given they work for all other normal rotors as well. Only the vented won't work.
    I emailed them about the compatibility with the 2 piece rotor and the V2 calliper's and Aaron said it will all fit fine and there isn't an issue. The rivet on the 2 piece does look very small and quite far into the actual structure of the rotor, so should prove not to clash with the calliper of the V2. I think I will be backing them for a pair of 180mm 2 piece rotors.

Quite excited now and will be saving over 200g in weight. Main thing is gaining more modulation and power (Like I need that with Hope V2's!!)

banned
    Jan 2012
    Mr.Magura, Your like the Bob Page of brakes, I LOVE your modded brakes and other stuff, DIY all the way indeed!

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasmachineman NL View Post
    Mr.Magura, Your like the Bob Page of brakes, I LOVE your modded brakes and other stuff, DIY all the way indeed!
    Thanks a lot.

Now could you please enlighten me, Who is Bob Page?

A Google search revealed the choice between a science fiction character, a sports caster, and a blues musician.

Magura

banned
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Thanks a lot.

Now could you please enlighten me, Who is Bob Page?

A Google search revealed the choice between a science fiction character, a sports caster, and a blues musician.

Magura
    Bob Page is the leader of Majestic 12 in Deus Ex, He was also a major power behind nano-tech/augmentation in that game, Read the DX Wiki page about him: Bob Page - Deus Ex Wiki

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasmachineman NL View Post
    Bob Page is the leader of Majestic 12 in Deus Ex, He was also a major power behind nano-tech/augmentation in that game, Read the DX Wiki page about him: Bob Page - Deus Ex Wiki
    So now I just have to take over the world, using brakes as a step stone....

Intriguing thought

Magura

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I don't have the moolah to get these... though I'm curious how well these SiCCC rotors will perform on a fully loaded MTB tandem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StanleyJ View Post
    I don't have the moolah to get these... though I'm curious how well these SiCCC rotors will perform on a fully loaded MTB tandem.
    Just lay off the afterburners : D

Ps, I need jet brakes on my bicycle too

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast