Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Anybody try these in wet or snow conditions yet? Do they still squeal like the steel rotors when they get damp?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilarider View Post
    Is something wrong with the other carbon rotor thread? I only see the first 3 or 4 posts.

Edit: It seems jacked, I guess I will post here then.

My siccc rotor review is bad. They are coming off after two rides. They feel like they give about 50% power braking compared to the avids I had on there, and they have not gotten better as I ride them in. I don't know if they heat up and get better because I didn't take them on any long downhills, but I was dragging them constantly on what there was to keep my speed in in check and it didn't change anything. Even if it did, I would still take them off.

I bedded them in according to their directions, I tried all the different pads I have(shimano metal and resin, koolstop, ebc gold) and none of them worked anywhere near how they work on steel.

I would guess you would have to size up two sizes with the carbon to get equal brake power, and then you are losing the weight advantage. They might work ok on a cross bike with 32c knobbies, but I don't have one of those with disks to try them on.

I thought they were a cool idea, the construction seems good, and they are true and laterally stiff. They might work for somebody, but not me.
    Well thats dicouraging. sure it isn't a bed in issue? I know you said you tried several different pads, but did you do several rides on just one set of pads? if this is the case no one is going to use them.

I just read on the FB page that they have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. I wonder if this is a cash back gurantee?

mtbr member
    If you are having problems with please contact us via our support system.
    Login

We want you to be as happy as we are with SiCCC rotors.

For reference this video covers burn in. Although we can't cover every thread on every forum we can handle problems through our ticket system.
    Thanks,
    Josh

I <3 dirt

Carbon Brake rotors

I just got an update on the 2 piece rotors. Looks like they had to change the design due to a legal reason?

Either way they're flat out ugly now. They look like mid 90's Camaro wheels

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Is something wrong with the other carbon rotor thread? I only see the first 3 or 4 posts.

My siccc rotor review is bad. They are coming off after two rides. They feel like they give about 50% power braking compared to the avids I had on there, and they have not gotten better as I ride them in. I don't know if they heat up and get better because I didn't take them on any long downhills, but I was dragging them constantly on what there was to keep my speed in in check and it didn't change anything. Even if it did, I would still take them off.

I bedded them in according to their directions, I tried all the different pads I have(shimano metal and resin, koolstop, ebc gold) and none of them worked anywhere near how they work on steel.

I would guess you would have to size up two sizes with the carbon to get equal brake power, and then you are losing the weight advantage. They might work ok on a cross bike with 32c knobbies, but I don't have one of those with disks to try them on.

I thought they were a cool idea, the construction seems good, and they are true and laterally stiff. They might work for somebody, but not me.
    I'm not questioning your tests as I don't have them,
    Did you use new pads? I ask because I made the mistake one time of swaping bwtween a magura and formula rotor right before a ride. Let me just say braking power was at 50% of best most of the ride. I had to pull the pads and put new ones in and my brake power returned.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

I'll take that junk off your hands. $75. What's your paypal?

Ho'lier than thou
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    I just got an update on the 2 piece rotors. Looks like they had to change the design due to a legal reason?

Either way they're flat out ugly now. They look like mid 90's Camaro wheels
    Well that's disappointing. I backed them for a pair of 180mm 2-pc rotors. I can understand why they chose to get rid of rivets, but I too don't care for the new spoke design and I was hoping they'd offer them in darker metallic blue that somewhat matches blue anodizing, instead of that baby blue/turquoise.

I just sent them a request to send me a pair of 1-pc rotors instead.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzflyer View Post
    I'll take that junk off your hands. $75. What's your paypal?
    I'll give you $76.13 and I'll give you my old Avid G2 rotor I use for brake bleeds..

mtbr member
    May 2007

Post a pic of the rotor that is not working too well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    $76.15 and I'll go with you on rides and slow your whining ass down.

Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I'll give you $76.13 and I'll give you my old Avid G2 rotor I use for brake bleeds..

I <3 dirt

Carbon Brake rotors

Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    Well that's disappointing. I backed them for a pair of 180mm 2-pc rotors. I can understand why they chose to get rid of rivets, but I too don't care for the new spoke design and I was hoping they'd offer them in darker metallic blue that somewhat matches blue anodizing, instead of that baby blue/turquoise.

I just sent them a request to send me a pair of 1-pc rotors instead.
    I was thinking of doing the same.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Anybody that tell me,is it the braking power increase after using this rotors?

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I have the exact same experience. I used new sintered pads on my Formula R1 brakes, and I followed the burn in described in the video. Braking peformance actually went down as the rotors burned in. It feels like massive brake pad fade, there's very little friction. Pretty much the same experience I've had with various alu discs in the past, regardless of their coating.

I later wiped the rotors clean with alcohol, and the rag came away pitch black even after several cleanings. I guess this is either carbon from the disc, pad material, or possibly carbonized pad material (faded pads).

After the cleaning, I went out for a test ride again. But this time I also brought a water bottle. I still got no braking power. But spraying a bit of water on, dramaticly increased the friction, as one would expect when brake pads have carbonized. The drawback was a howling noise so loud that people a hundred yards down the street turned to see how was flaying live cats. As soon as the discs dried, the poor performace was back.

I'll try Goodridge sintered pads next. If that doesn't work, I'll use the discs as trivets and call it a fun, albeit expensive, experiment.

What I don't understand is, why do the rotors need a visible layer of pad material transfer, if the SiC is supposed to supply the friction? Steel discs do not have a tick layer of pad material deposited on them.

Anyways, I started a ticked on the Kettle website, but I have yet to hear back from them.

Ole.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    $76.15 and I'll go with you on rides and slow your whining ass down.
    OK, $76.25 is my final offer and I will throw in some warm beer that has been in the pantry for 6 months.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    I have the exact same experience. I used new sintered pads on my Formula R1 brakes, and I followed the burn in described in the video. Braking peformance actually went down as the rotors burned in. It feels like massive brake pad fade, there's very little friction. Pretty much the same experience I've had with various alu discs in the past, regardless of their coating.

I later wiped the rotors clean with alcohol, and the rag came away pitch black even after several cleanings. I guess this is either carbon from the disc, pad material, or possibly carbonized pad material (faded pads).

After the cleaning, I went out for a test ride again. But this time I also brought a water bottle. I still got no braking power. But spraying a bit of water on, dramaticly increased the friction, as one would expect when brake pads have carbonized. The drawback was a howling noise so loud that people a hundred yards down the street turned to see how was flaying live cats. As soon as the discs dried, the poor performace was back.

I'll try Goodridge sintered pads next. If that doesn't work, I'll use the discs as trivets and call it a fun, albeit expensive, experiment.

What I don't understand is, why do the rotors need a visible layer of pad material transfer, if the SiC is supposed to supply the friction? Steel discs do not have a tick layer of pad material deposited on them.

Anyways, I started a ticked on the Kettle website, but I have yet to hear back from them.

Ole.
    Bummer, I have to wonder what is going on as it sounds like you didn't have any contaminates or glazed pads.

It's not like the Formula R1's are weak brakes either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Bummer, I was hoping to hear good things.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I would hold out on final judgement just yet. This is a new product/technology that doesn't break in like the old. I am going to post up a review after tomorrow's ride, which will cover eight hours over 4 rides and two sets of pads; my results differ.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Crap, I'm out. There has never been beer here that lasted 6 hrs much less 6 months

Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    OK, $76.25 is my final offer and I will throw in some warm beer that has been in the pantry for 6 months.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I would hold out on final judgement just yet. This is a new product/technology that doesn't break in like the old. I am going to post up a review after tomorrow's ride, which will cover eight hours over 4 rides and two sets of pads; my results differ.

Yeah, let us know if you got them working and how. I am thinking of trying a new set of pads and just one rotor so I don't kill myself on rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    They sent out an email saying that rotors were sent out with kerosene still on them. They gave instructions on how to get rid of it. I will see if it works.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I was going to to do a big write up on how I got these to work, but received an email from Kettle Cycles last nite explaining the problem with bedding in. Turns out a cleaning solution used after the last step of production was not completely removed, resulting in a longer bedding in period while the contaminant was removed. That would explain my experience. After six hours of white knuckle squeezing on the brake levers, three on sintered pads and three on half used organic, my discs are working great. The discs feel on par with the Hope floating they replaced, good power with excellent modulation. After the 6 hour break in period, I had two one hour rides with the organic pads. On those two rides, I rode without even thinking about the brakes. The brakes are deathly silent. Incredibly silent. There is no noise as you roll along, and when you squeeze the levers, the same no noise. There is a slight sanding sound when the brakes are applied, but is completely obscured with the littlest of trail noise. Where I am at with the discs right now, with them working as well as my previous discs, and being completely silent, I am more than satisfied. I feel they will get better in the next few rides. Going to pull them off and let them sit in the sun Saturday and use some new organics. Yea the 6 hour break in was kind of long, and the first hour was actually a little harrowing. That first hour though, showed me I was able to ride through some corners and sections with a lot more speed than I was carrying before.

XC Rider
    I have been riding these rotors for about a month now on CX disc bike with Avid BB7 SL's and like most here was experiencing power less than the original steel rotors. The weather here in Chicago and my schedule has only allowed me to get road rides in so far on the rotors or about 250 miles or so. I did not place new pads in the brakes when the swap was made just swapped rotors and began the bed in process. After each ride the braking power has gotten noticibly better and I would say that I am at about 90% of the steel rotor braking power right now. I don't know this for a fact but if I was riding a MTB where braking is more frequent and more demanding I feel that the rotors would have acheived full power sooner. Again I am on a avid mechanical disc brake bike with one pad pushing against another not pinching like hydros and I have 90% of what I had with steel rotors. i look forward to rriding these on my Shimano Xt's on the race rig.

I will be patient with this new tech and have high hopes of riding these rotors now and on all my bikes in the future. 30 day money back and a 3-year crash replacement these guys want to do good by their product and by their customers!
    If You Don't Ride You'll Rust!

Ho'lier than thou
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    I was thinking of doing the same.
    Got the reply. They'll change mine to 1-pc rotors no problem. I decided to get a pair of 160mm for my DJ bike, instead of 180mm for my AM-ish bike as I originally intended.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Ole.
    Ok. now I have cleaned the rotors with acetone, baked them in the oven at 100c for 30 minutes to get rid of kerosene from production, and put on Kool Stop organic pads. My original Formula sintered pads were just chewed to bits by the discs for some reason, and left a thick layer of brake dust on the discs.

Did a short brake in session friday, and went for a short rid with my 9 year old yesterday, and now I actually have brakes. I'd say I now have around 70% the power I have from steel brakes, but it's getting better all the time. Before, I got 5% power max. I guess I now have good enough brakes to dare to do a real ride, and that should hopefully improve things further.

mtbr member
    Did the email that went out about kerosene say anything about them fixing the issue on their end? Seems like a real screwup on their end, which makes it a lot harder to figure out if these things are legit.

I did notice they now have pad recommendations on their website, but I didn't see anything about cleaning rotors.

More reviews please!
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just received today from Malaysia..the one I installed on rear seem like have a little bend..I think have to find a long descent trail to burn in and see is it will be better..

Maromero
    I just got a shipping notice, my second batch rotors are on the way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jos3ph4ever View Post
    Just received today from Malaysia..the one I installed on rear seem like have a little bend..I think have to find a long descent trail to burn in and see is it will be better..
    Problem solved after reinstalled the rotor..

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ok. now I have cleaned the rotors with acetone, baked them in the oven at 100c for 30 minutes to get rid of kerosene from production, and put on Kool Stop organic pads. My original Formula sintered pads were just chewed to bits by the discs for some reason, and left a thick layer of brake dust on the discs.

Did a short brake in session friday, and went for a short rid with my 9 year old yesterday, and now I actually have brakes. I'd say I now have around 70% the power I have from steel brakes, but it's getting better all the time. Before, I got 5% power max. I guess I now have good enough brakes to dare to do a real ride, and that should hopefully improve things further.
    Hi Ole,

Is it acetone called nail polish remover?

How do you clean with acetone?how many acetone need to clean it?

Can you give me the tutorial about how to clean and bake it?

I am facing same problem too...4km decent still cant burned in my 160s..and my avid elixr 5 also boil...

Joseph

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Acetone should be pure for cleaning of brake rotors. Nail polish removers contain beside acetone also oils that shouldn't come in contact with rotors.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    @jos3ph4eve: how long was the shipping time in your case?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by giantdale View Post
    @jos3ph4eve: how long was the shipping time in your case?
    Around 10days.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Nice, thank you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Acetone should be pure for cleaning of brake rotors. Nail polish removers contain beside acetone also oils that shouldn't come in contact with rotors.
    Don know where to buy acetone here..or I think just pull out the rotor and put under hot sun will be better?i scare the acetone will harm my rotors..will it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Aceton will for sure not harm the rotors. Hot sun will not help your case either :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So which mean I still have to find that acetone and clean it then bake it in micro oven to get them working right?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I don't have any experience yet, my rotors are in the mail (happy!). But I use either acetone or isopropyl alcohol for steel rotors with good results. No microwave ovens, though. Keep in mind, acetone has a 56deg Celsius boilng point-that is very low!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I don't have any experience yet, my rotors are in the mail (happy!). But I use either acetone or isopropyl alcohol for steel rotors with good results. No microwave ovens, though. Keep in mind, acetone has a 56deg Celsius boilng point-that is very low!
    With the low boiling point mean I can clean with acetone and baked under hot sun enough?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Means it will evaporate quickly and is very flammable as well-caution. You use it to dissolve the residue from your rotors and remove it with swipes. Just soaking rotors and leave them to dry will not do it.

I <3 dirt

Carbon Brake rotors

Just use isopropyl alcohol. Theres probably some in your bathroom cabinet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Means it will evaporate quickly and is very flammable as well-caution. You use it to dissolve the residue from your rotors and remove it with swipes. Just soaking rotors and leave them to dry will not do it.
    Ok,will find that acetone at my nearest paint shop or hardware shop...
    Hope it will be fine..

Btw,learn few chemical scientific name today.haha.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Any hope tech x2 with SiCCC owner here?how they perform?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Looking at getting these for my Hope V2 brakes. These brakes need a slightly deeper track, does anyone have measurements on the track depth?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thats it! Im ordering a Set 140mm rear and 160mm front for my new Mavic SLR's I will let you know how it goes

should be riding
    Apr 2012
    Hello,

We really prefer to be contacted directly through our email or support ticket system. A small staff and long days make keeping up with so many portals of communication daunting. Early on the thread was utterly useless, but now at least we'd like to clear a few things up.

We expect anyone to get exceptional performance from their rotors for a very long time, a minimum of three years under normal circumstances. While we tested many brake systems - with the assumption that the riders buying SiCCC rotors would have higher end, newer gear, we did know that was /is possible for some less desirable matches. We did not want to force pads on customers and we feel that the vast majority will be very pleased.

Naming pad compounds / construction doesn't work. Each manufacturer has a tweak to their composition. We find it's better to speak in specifics Xcompanies Ypad.

We are working on a factory burn in that doesn't make the rotor look used. Expecting riders to spend a few laps burning in and becoming familiar with the modulation seemed reasonable to us. We understand better now the level of impatience of trying a new part and importance of taking the rotors reputation above a procedural issue. But again, we are still looking for a specific solution and that may take some time.

As far as burn ins, we will revise the instructions to use numbers instead of descriptions. I am breathing hard after a burn in session, but it only takes a few laps. I have the room to sprint to 15mph, then smooth brake to 2-5mph, not a jolt. About 8 of those gets the bike feeling trail worthy. Worst thing you can do is a hard brake and leave a lump of film on a virgin burn in. The other thing we see is holding the brake and pedaling hard. Not good. It is far easier to do it right the first time.

As far as the baking: it wasn't kerosene, it was -like- kerosene. And while all the smaller runs were cleaned with our surface scrubbing easily - production means parts get stacked and the machine operator goes on smoke breaks etc. So some rotors got more saturated and the old procedure wasn't enough. If there was a remote chance a customers rotor was effected, they were notified. In the united states of lawyers, never put anything in your oven other than apple pie. A little time in the sun gives you a chance to take pictures.

Switching pads: if you switch you must clean. Changing pad compounds is a bigger deal than it may seem. Take the time and do it right. If you have specific Brake system /pad combo questions, support tickets to ask us, or soon - I think this thread will have great info sharing (can't we have a new, cleaner one, without it starting off with nonsense?) with the many combinations that provide a great braking platform.

And finally, what brought me here, we use Acetone to clean the film off with paper towels or micro fiber (nothing else, and no abrasives!) and it takes some patience. But we do not use alcohol, we have that and many other cleaners here. Acetone. Experimenting is up to you but please don't disregard any companies instructions and then cry foul. Same with the burn in, mounting or bleed instructions.

Again, if you have any questions - right now the best thing is to ask us via support ticket on the site. The whole goal of the kickstarter was to convert riders, teach them and let them go spread the word.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Aaron.S; 03-05-2013 at 03:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm converted and spreading the word. I really wanted these to work and just kept riding them until they did. They work excellent now. Thanks Kettle dudes!

Maromero
    Hey Aaron, good to see that not only I got quick response to my doubts by mail, but you also got into this thread to help solve others.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    damn those rotors look sexy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I got my Rotors 160/180mm. I am using them with 2012 Avid XX brakes with stock pads. The pads were used so I scuffed them using 600 grit sand paper to remove the glaze from the steel rotors. I followed the break in procedure provided by Kettle cycles and properly adjusted my brakes. So far they are great, The modulation properties over the steel rotors are way better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    ^^^^ those look so nice mounted up, the steel rotor is the only thing on my bike not murdered out, I want some but was waiting to see how the worked out

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast