Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    I took out the eye roll emoticon from your statement and now it reads much more truthfully. Sorry man, but your sarcasm isn't carrying you too far here.
    Thanks, Fanboy, I don't need the support of you or your cadre of little friends.

I shined the light of truth on this "Phantom Rotor" manufacturer. He runs his "business" out of his apartment, none of his claimed "authorized dealers" actually exist, he has no product to sell, and he's looking for donations.

Are you really his BFF, or are you just talk? How much money have YOU donated to his cause?

There is one cold, hard fact of which you seem to be unaware. There are two kinds of people in this world: the talkers and the doers. The "Big Talkers" are a dime a dozen, and they're all just one year away or one more cash infusion away from "making the bigtime."

To show that I'm not a complete cold-hearted cynic, I will humbly retract my comments as soon as he starts shipping a real product, let's say just a hundred units that last on consumers' bikes for more than 6 months or 600 miles. Is that a fair test? To be honest, I'm not going to hold my breath waiting. But if the day ever comes when you write a review for the "Phantom Rotors," I'll be one of the first ones to read it. Until that day, be well.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Man lighten up. All you're doing is leaving scathing remarks, and for what? It's hard to get business like this rolling. Go for it and shoot him down. I understand that you wouldn't invest in it. Neither have I. But how do you expect industry innovation when there is such tight competition?

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by distro View Post
    These aren't carbon ceramic, that is a totally different beast. Interesting concept these brakes are, wonder how well they compare to their metal counterparts.
    They are exactly carbon ceramic

And no, I'm not guessing here, that's knowledge.

Magura

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post

Magura
    would you kindly send some Fedex overnight i could use it..

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    You have a set? Pictures.
    I have a carbon ceramic brake yes, but it is one I made like a year ago.

Look further back in this thread for a couple of pics. There is a thread about it somewhere as well, with more pics and some thermographic images.

Mine is though a bit different, and the cost was a wee bit high for most peoples taste. As I recall, the material cost of the rotor and a set of pads, was like 3,000$.

Magura

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBoom View Post
    This is very interesting
    Even if they werent so light just the heat dissipation characteristics would be worth it
    Back when I made mine, I didn't do much for the sake of saving weight, as my aim was to get more power, and to eliminate fading.

As I recall, mine ended up around 95g for a 203mm rotor.

Magura

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Hey man, when I was in Santa Cruz I met two Danish girls from Aarhus who were hitch-hiking through the state. When they looked at my bikes in the back, she said, "oooh you're must be into downhill" with a cute smile and wide eyes and all her Danish accent.

What are the odds?

(so you're saying when I try your brakes you won't have fine Danish women serving our end of the day dinner?)
    LOL! Well, the odds are not good for that to happen twice

Fine Danish women are few and far between, They do exist though. I have one, and I know another guy who also has one

Regarding RustyIron, just ignore him. He has no clue what he is talking about, and obviously forgot to take his pills.

Magura

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    would you kindly send some Fedex overnight i could use it..
    Naah, I just made one for myself for fun.

If the Illinois company get this off the ground, they will also bring this into a completely different price bracket.
    They expect to sell rotors for like 100$, mine cost like 3000$ for the material alone (rotor and pads).

Magura

mtbr member

Magura
    I was referring to the knowledge.....2nd thought

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    I was referring to the knowledge.....2nd thought
    LOL!

I'm still a bit slow, only on my second cup of coffee this morning.

Magura

mtbr member
    LOL!

I'm still a bit slow, only on my second cup of coffee this morning.

Magura
    just home from work and bedtime for me...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by drbelleville View Post
    Just to chime in, I am not sure what happened to them, yet Fibre-Lyte of the UK offered carbon brake discs around 2008. Maybe some of our UK friends might be able to shed some light on these. I do not know if they were for show or not. What I do know is that I do not see them on their catalog anymore.
    As I recall, they never got it off the ground.

Back then I believe the reason was the cost, as they tried to do it the same way as Honeywell (and yours truly did).

As I recall, it worked well though.

Magura

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    They are exactly carbon ceramic

Magura
    They use carbon, and ceramic materials.. But are not made the same as carbon ceramic road discs. Those are made with loose not wolven carbon fiber form what I have seen. Just was trying to point out this is a different process..
    Last edited by distro; 11-15-2012 at 09:53 PM.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by distro View Post
    They use carbon, and ceramic materials.. But are not made the same as carbon ceramic road discs. Those are made with loose not wolven carbon fiber form what I have seen. Just was trying to point out this is a different process..
    You can have carbon ceramic (CSIC) in just about any form.

I have so far seen random fiber, UD, something in between the two, Textreme style , and so forth.
    In my experience, the big difference is rather the SIC component, than the layup schedule of the carbon.

Magura

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Backed one set of this Siccc rotor,hope it would be nicer than my hope floating disc and twice as light.

Cant wait to get it now,but still have to wait until 2013 JAN.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Magura
    You seem to have had a few chats with the people working on this. Any chance you might get them to chime in here? I for one think this idea has a lot of merit and would be interested in hearing about compatibility across braking platforms, and their strategy for pads.
    thanks,
    AaRon

BTW -to the grouchy guy: starting a business in your apartment or garage and driving it to the revenue generating stage is not a negative thing, it is hugely positive and the longer you stay small and lean, the better. Think abouth the google garage - a rented garage (not even the house) in Menlo Park.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AaGro View Post

BTW -to the grouchy guy: starting a business in your apartment or garage and driving it to the revenue generating stage is not a negative thing, it is hugely positive and the longer you stay small and lean, the better. Think abouth the google garage - a rented garage (not even the house) in Menlo Park.
    Not only is not a negative thing, it's how most people start businesses. The guy is obviously completly clueless, and was not worth debating. Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by jos3ph4ever View Post
    Backed one set of this Siccc rotor,hope it would be nicer than my hope floating disc and twice as light.

Cant wait to get it now,but still have to wait until 2013 JAN.
    If they are anything near the one I made, which I am fairly sure they are, you can look forward to improvement pretty much in any aspect.

I run mine in a Hope M4, which seems to work rather well.

I will though move it over to try in on my Zee.

Magura

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by AaGro View Post
    Magura
    You seem to have had a few chats with the people working on this. Any chance you might get them to chime in here? I for one think this idea has a lot of merit and would be interested in hearing about compatibility across braking platforms, and their strategy for pads.
    thanks,
    AaRon
    The guy I have been chatting a bit with, already reads this topic.

To be honest, I would also think twice before joining this topic as the manufacturer.
    All the hear-say and religion this is up against, makes for a bumpy ride at best.

Add to that all the self proclaimed experts on composite friction materials (hey they most likely saw F1 on tv).

Just look at the thread I posted about my brake, and I don't even sell anything

Magura

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    Not only is not a negative thing, it's how most people start businesses. The guy is obviously completly clueless, and was not worth debating. Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    I'll be happy to buy something made in USA for a change. At least until it gets outsourced
    and a price drop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If they are anything near the one I made, which I am fairly sure they are, you can look forward to improvement pretty much in any aspect.

I run mine in a Hope M4, which seems to work rather well.

I will though move it over to try in on my Zee.

Magura
    I will run mine with hope tech x2 that currently run with hope floating rotor that loosen for the rear disc after 4months use only..

With this SiCCC material i think they will perform better than floating disc even they are made into one piece,is it Mr.Magura?

Does ur rotor bend during long decents?

DIY all the way
    I will run mine with hope tech x2 that currently run with hope floating rotor that loosen for the rear disc after 4months use only..

With this SiCCC material i think they will perform better than floating disc even they are made into one piece,is it Mr.Magura?

Does ur rotor bend during long decents?
    Yes they will probably perform better than a floating Hope rotor. I would sure expect so.
    Let's see. Now they have plenty of backers, so there is going to be a pretty hefty production. I look forward to see what they made of it.

My rotor is as straight as it was when made. That's the way it will stay
    Mine will survive 400C permanently, with no ill effects.

As I understand the process they are using, those rotors should have approx. the same properties regarding warping and oxidation.

Magura

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes they will probably perform better than a floating Hope rotor. I would sure expect so.
    Let's see. Now they have plenty of backers, so there is going to be a pretty hefty production. I look forward to see what they made of it.

My rotor is as straight as it was when made. That's the way it will stay
    Mine will survive 400C permanently, with no ill effects.

As I understand the process they are using, those rotors should have approx. the same properties regarding warping and oxidation.

Magura
    Great to hear that from you.

The project already funded,just wait the date end and they will start making them,luckily i backed earlier if not many of them already sold out.

400c is very hot,i dont think bike brakes can create that heat to spoiled it right?

What inpired you to make this rotor by yourself?$3000 is expensive but it is unique i know.

Raymond Donald Franklin
    I backed them for a pair of two-piece rotors with color choice. I'm a casual rider so extra 10 grams won't bother me

DIY all the way
    Great to hear that from you.

The project already funded,just wait the date end and they will start making them,luckily i backed earlier if not many of them already sold out.

400c is very hot,i dont think bike brakes can create that heat to spoiled it right?

What inpired you to make this rotor by yourself?$3000 is expensive but it is unique i know.
    It will be hard to maintain 400C on a bike, even on the front.

The short answer: because I could

I have made composite brakes for performance cars in the past, so it seemed natural to make one for a bike as well.
    Yes that is a fair pile of dough, but the first of something will always turn expensive.

The composite brakes I made for cars, were like 20,000$ for a pair for the front end, so relatively speaking, 3,000$ is not too bad, especially for a single piece run.
    Keep in mind that this is raw material cost, thus not really commercially interesting.

Magura

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast