Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I believe the most powerful combo is a c-processed rotor with matching carbon brake pads. Wether or not that's enough for various applications is still an open question though.

bike rider
    Everyone who's tried my bikes with carbon pads thought they felt the same as stock rotors and pads, plenty of bite and power.
    Keep the Country country.

I <3 dirt

Carbon Brake rotors

I've had zero issues with c processed rotors and kettle pads on front range trails and in Moab.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

Addicted
    May 2006
    How are you guys getting 2nd and 3rd generation stuff? I backed the original Kickstarter program for 2 rotors and not only can I not get my rotors, I can't get any response from Kettle Cycles via email, Facebook or Kickstarter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxconvert View Post
    How are you guys getting 2nd and 3rd generation stuff? I backed the original Kickstarter program for 2 rotors and not only can I not get my rotors, I can't get any response from Kettle Cycles via email, Facebook or Kickstarter.
    Your waiting on the two piece I take it? Try emailing Jim at info@kettlecycles.com. I believe he is new and is handling CS issues, returning emails, etc.

I <3 dirt

Carbon Brake rotors

I originally ordered the 2 piece rotors and then spoke with Aaron about just switching to the single piece ones. They've been great thus far.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Maybe your mail account has been blocked as spam with Kettle; maybe mine has too.
    Some are getting rotors and brake pads, some are not. A month ago I had a mail from Jim telling me that I should just buy some brake pads from them and then even my first, second or third generation rotors (I do not know what generation I got) would be fine, because no commercially pads are good enough and that all other manufacturer of pads are making them of uneven quality. What a poor excuse for not living up the the promises made. Jim even stated that the brake pads from Shimano are of uneven quality.
    Anyway, the first, second and maybe also third batch are not giving stopping power enough for serious mountains (steep) on the front wheel, but can be used on rear wheels.
    The promises Kettle made when offering their rotors first was:
    Better modulation than steel rotors (did they keep that?).
    No holes in the rotors were necessary (holes are hard on organic brake pads when wet for a long descent).
    Better braking power than steel rotors with standard brake pads (not true) that is why they did not offer brake pads in the beginning.
    Some are happy with the rotors, so far I am not.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Carbon Brake rotors

I like the product, but have been lucky with CS. Still would like to try their pads, but not happy to lay down cash if they aren't really available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    On a related note, I finally got my XTR pads from them, but in the meanwhile I had switched to Magura. If you are still in need of brake pads, PM me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Kettles website just got updated with the 2014 Gen 4 rotors and revised carbon pads.
    I just ordered a couple of rotors & sets of pads.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    Kettles website just got updated with the 2014 Gen 4 rotors and revised carbon pads.
    I just ordered a couple of rotors & sets of pads.
    oh my i clicked on carbon pads and it opened a cat litter site, somehow i doubt i would get anything if i ordered a rotor

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    has anyone ordered any pads from Kettle recently? I don't won't to give them my money if they don't have any stock. I asked the question regarding stock levels and got no reply. They are definitely not doing themselves any favours. Wouldn't be surprised if they go bust!

bike rider
    ^They've been keeping Formula pads in stock cuz I've gotten new sets over the winter and again just this past week. While the performance has been awesome I've been wearing them out a little quicker than my old sintered pads. I'm told the newest formulation that is just now becoming available has a longer wear life. Give these guys a chance cuz my experiences have been all positive, both with the product and customer service. My co-worker was asking about prices so we went on their website yesterday and noticed that in addition to a 4th gen rotor now being available there were deals on 2nd and 3rd gen rotors which helps with the initial $$.

bike rider
    I just got some more Formula pads from them. I'm told the new formula that is just becoming available has longer wear life. Another mechanic at my shop was curious about pricing on their rotors so we went on their website yesterday and saw that in addition to now offering a 4th gen rotor they have deals on 2nd and 3rd gen, sub $100.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Email from Kettle yesterday:

Introducing the 2014 F-Processing Rotors.
    Advancements in the ceramic bonding between the carbon layers, procedural improvements in the final stage and the carbon/ceramic ratio have yielded a far stronger rotor. The F series are stronger after their first furnace firing than the preceding were on their eighth. Our original two piece concept "jra video" was pretty popular. At the same thickness, this SFL rotor will perform the same feat. The added strength allows us to grind the rotors to 2mm for easier plug and play fit.

The 2014 SFL rotors are now available in Color!
    An adhesive agent now makes SFLs in color a reality. Now you can color key your rotors to your bike for a more custom look. We take a finished rotor, mask it, laser cut the masking and send it about 20 miles away for paint. Please allow an extra 10 days for turn-around.
    Your hub must be smaller than 60mm in diameter where the rotor mounts.
    The paint adds 6-8 grams (180mm)
    Available for all sizes.

On that note, we also introduced our 'future' proof trade in program. Find the details here.

Metal Based Pads:
    In case you missed it, the metal pads have been shipping, and off to quite a start. The metal pads were used to climb the steps in five podiums in national and state competitions in less than a month. Top 5 finishers using the rotors, send us a picture - we'd love to keep an album going on facebook. More about the metal pad here.

Finally,
    The desire to satisfy riders expectations meant that a number of the original rotors were swapped out. This was the right move for customer service, however, we were overloaded with physical work, vendor crisis management and development. This is a hands-on, practically bespoke operation. Over the next few weeks we will be in a far better place having closed the door on the kickstarter program, ruined partnership and putting the failures of the original pad suppliers, PMA, behind us once and for all. The improvements above mean the troublesome two piece production is limited to only those who pre-ordered, they will not see full production. It has been a monster mountain to climb, and we want to better manage expectations going forward.

The work flow has improved, which reduces the fiber to part time - we are still challenged with demand surges. We are fully aware no one likes to wait. Cyclocross season is on the horizon, the mountain bike season is in full swing, more road bikes are being offered with disc and a race/training tested pad is shipping. We need a way to project the work load between rotor sizes and pad styles.

Introducing a pilot program for load balancing:

To help manage expectations, we are going implementing a pilot, prepaid discount program.

Place an order and use the code:
    60days -for 20% off your order, which will be shipped before 60 days elapse.

Place an order and use the code:
    40days -for 10% off your order, which will be shipped before 40 days elapse.

This will allow us to have pads ready in the style and quantities needed when the rotors are completed. Those planning builds, or looking to switch to SiCCC rotors and wait can save money with the prepaid discount.

Managing expectations on the customers side and giving us a heads up will help. If it demand spikes we can call in reinforcements, because we are getting advanced warning for delivery.

Thanks for reading, and ride safe.

mtbr member
    Received the mail today from Kettle. But with the experience I have with the company and their product, I will wait changing my opinion on them until they send the replacement rotor they promised me almost a year ago.
    They have had first generation 2nd and third and not they have started with letters and are now with the f-processes.
    When they come to the functioning (maybe that is what they mean with the f) and their rotors do like they were supposed to from the beginning, I might become interested again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm just fed up with Kettle's BS! They gave me an option to switch to SFL rotors from my original 2 piece Kickstarter a month ago, but for extra $$$! I told them "No" since they had told me that the 2 piece are at its "final stages" and will ship out soon. Another month later, and no response to my emails. I'm just trying to find out what happened to the last promised date. I feel like they did not have the 2 piece after all, and just trying to see if I would take the bait and pay more? Bunch of Effin ********ters! They should've given that option for free as a courtesy for making me wait--and still waiting for my rotors. 16 months of waiting for a product that you have already paid for is absurd!
    Anyone else waiting on the 2 piece with similar offer from Kettle?

Gigantic Hawk
    I gave up on these guys a long time ago. Their product is just not worth the money. My loss is their gain. That happens sometimes with Kickstarter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    I gave up on these guys a long time ago. Their product is just not worth the money. My loss is their gain. That happens sometimes with Kickstarter.
    X2. I hear yea on that! if you can't give your kickstarter backers good service, how are they going to give it to real customers. I was waiting to send my rotors back in to them until they found a real fix for some stopping power. I'm not even sure if they ever found it. At least I have some nice wall decorations! if they finally found something that works, and I mean WORKS! not just giving excuses like "they modulate better" if they really have a good product then they should be doing all they can to support their original kickstarter backers and get it out to them first. they should send out emails to all the kickstarter backers, the ticket system is lame.

mtbr member
    What I don't understand is that somebody seems to be happy with the rotors. As far as I am concerned they can be used as rear rotors if you are happy with them never locking and not really functioning, but up front they are absolutely of no value unless you are suicidal.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlS View Post
    X2. I hear yea on that! if you can't give your kickstarter backers good service, how are they going to give it to real customers. I was waiting to send my rotors back in to them until they found a real fix for some stopping power. I'm not even sure if they ever found it. At least I have some nice wall decorations! if they finally found something that works, and I mean WORKS! not just giving excuses like "they modulate better" if they really have a good product then they should be doing all they can to support their original kickstarter backers and get it out to them first. they should send out emails to all the kickstarter backers, the ticket system is lame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If we early adopters had our thinking caps on, we would have figured out that only way to get better modulation by changing the rotor meant less bite. The caliper has all the power it ever had but if the pads can't grip the material as well, the brake does modulate differently but the stopping power goes down. Going from metal to organic pads does something similar. Personally, Whistler and North Vancouver trails require metal pads and tons of grip. I should have seen through their idea.

Gigantic Hawk
    What sold me originally was the idea of truly flat rotors that would stay flat. Mine didn't even show up flat, but slightly curved. Then trying to stop with them was beyond safe... even after they were broken in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    if you want to try again and have 500$ (ha ha) to spend this italian company scappa makes a rotor with a woven carbon body with ceramic inserts. Personally my mt8 next with regular rotors are incredible so i will pass on the carbon.

Carbon Brake rotors-1409391513.jpg

EB14: Scappa Carbon Ceramic Disc Brake Rotors

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by someoldfart View Post
    If we early adopters had our thinking caps on, we would have figured out that only way to get better modulation by changing the rotor meant less bite. The caliper has all the power it ever had but if the pads can't grip the material as well, the brake does modulate differently but the stopping power goes down. Going from metal to organic pads does something similar. Personally, Whistler and North Vancouver trails require metal pads and tons of grip. I should have seen through their idea.
    It is easy to be wise when you have experience.
    Still the promise was that the rotors would be performing like metal rotors and have improved modulation.
    Kettle announced at first they had discovered the "missing" ingredient that make the carbon/ceramic rotors function like the formula 1 rotors without the need for being very/extremely hot.
    Unfortunately they lied.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by las-palmas View Post
    Unfortunately they lied.
    I don't think they lied so much as the production rotors failed to meet expectations of a good number of the customers. I am still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but will wait until we see a majority of positive reviews.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast