And the ladies are pretty damn fine
    I hate to disappoint you, but that's an old wives tale

Look further south in Europe my friend.

Magura

derp
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post

I am from southern europe It is just a case of "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

DIY all the way
    On a different note.

I just had a chat with one of the guys behind these brakes.
    They are definitely on to something.
    The way they make them, is close to the brake I made, but with a fraction of the cost.

Looking forward to see where this leads.

Magura

derp
    They have a kickstarter page up, SiCCC Bicycle Brake Rotor: Silicon Carbide-Ceramic-Carbon by Kettle Cycles — Kickstarter although not yet active. At the price ( at least in this stage ) of $165 i might be on the backers list tbh.

Could this thread be spam, intended to garner donations to line someone's pockets?

Make no mistake, there are NO carbon fiber rotors offered for sale by this company. Right now, it's just a figment of the imagination of some wannabe.

I checked the location for "the company," and it appears to be an apartment or a townhome in Illinois. I'll not divulge the exact location out of respect for privacy. Mister GotFish, you're also from Illinois. Are you, or do you know the people behind these so called carbon fiber rotors?

What's telling is that this "company" doesn't really sell a product, but they are begging for money. They are begging for $15,000 in donations for this project. But their web page admits that this is not a "live project," it is only a "draft." If I donate $100, what will happen to it?

If this company actually had a legitimate product, plenty of venture capitalists would be lining up to invest. I try to be openminded. If you send me a sample of your product, I'll evaluate it. If i find it to be a worthy product, perhaps we can talk about an investment in the company. I'll need four six bolt rotors, two 203 mm and two 160 mm. I'll give you an honest evaluation. Send three more 160's, two 203's, and a 185, and I'll do a better evaluation for you. PM me for the shipping address.

The company's web page lists a bunch of "authorized dealers" across the country. I followed the links, and NONE of these authorized dealers actually exists. None.

As far as I can tell, the company sells nothing, but they will gleefully accept donations, nothing more.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
    Could this thread be spam, intended to garner donations to line someone's pockets?

Make no mistake, there are NO carbon fiber rotors offered for sale by this company. Right now, it's just a figment of the imagination of some wannabe.
    Did you actually read what Kickstarter is about?
    It's not donations, but a number of confirmed sales to get a new company off the ground.

Now captain Obvious, can you figure how to add up, that they are on Kickstarter, for getting their FIRST production series off the ground, and that they have not run the FIRST series yet, thus only have prototypes, which are not for sale.

It's funny that you choose the first real innovative product in a long time, for your paranoid post, and not one of all the semi-fraud products we have seen lately.

I especially like your logic: if they won't give you their product for free, they don't have nothing
    If I were in their place, you'd be the last person I'd consider as product tester.

Magura

I stand corrected. That guy runs a great company that makes a wonderful product and consumers are beating down the door of his apartment to get their hands on these rotors and "kickstarter" is a great business plan used by many successful companies that employ thousands of people.

mtbr member
    Have to start somewhere I guess. Every WW in the world will have a set of these. I'm no WW but I
    love to shave grams when I can, and rotors were something I've been waiting to become lighter
    one day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataivah View Post
    Have to start somewhere I guess. Every WW in the world will have a set of these. I'm no WW but I love to shave grams when I can, and rotors were something I've been waiting to become lighter one day.
    If not these it'll be something else down the road...who knows CF uni/dual crown forks W/hollow Ti QR axles or CF suss linkages. but rest assure it will always be something.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I stand corrected. That guy runs a great company that makes a wonderful product and consumers are beating down the door of his apartment to get their hands on these rotors and "kickstarter" is a great business plan used by many successful companies that employ thousands of people.
    Kickstarter is a service that allows startups to sell a batch of prototypes, without worrying about leftover stock. A colleague of mine currently makes and sells some electronic device over that platform.

derp
    Actually thousands of profitable and known businesses started on Kickstarter and some of their projects reach the multi-million mark. Last years they reached the 100 million dollar mark in funding ... so yes there are thousand of successful projects/companies that started on Kickstarter.

mtbr member
    I am very very interested in these. Will pick them up tomorrow if they fit the hope v4 setup at the 203-180 sizes. They sound cool, and the price is low enough to mess around with them.

cowbell
    I must say, personally, I find this idea quite interesting. Quite.

waiting for a piece (.45)
    So what is the curing/ treatment/ preparation processes are you using? No need to be too revealing...just curious!

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialWarr View Post
    So what is the curing/ treatment/ preparation processes are you using? No need to be too revealing...just curious!
    If you're asking about my brake, I have to say that I can't tell you (well, I also won't) due to my confidentiality with my supplier.

If you ask about the brakes from the company in Illinois, I can tell they won't tell, cause I've already asked when I talked to them a couple of days ago

Magura

waiting for a piece (.45)
    I was thinking about yours, but I can't say I expected a detailed lay-up or anything.... I understand the confidentiality agreement argument....I don't want to get anyone in trouble, I was just curious.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialWarr View Post
    I was thinking about yours, but I can't say I expected a detailed lay-up or anything.... I understand the confidentiality agreement argument....I don't want to get anyone in trouble, I was just curious.
    Pretty much the latest and greatest in composite friction materials, is the Carbenix 4000.
    I would think you could find some info about that online.

Mine and theirs, are pretty close, since we are talking SIC composite.

Magura

mtbr member
    Carbon fiber or composite rotors? Sounds like an expensive solution to a problem that largely doesn't exist.
    Last edited by 410sprint; 11-12-2012 at 02:24 PM.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by 410sprint View Post
    Carbon fiber or composite rotors? Sounds like an expensive solution to a problem that largely doesn't exist.
    That depends how you define the word "problem"

A lighter rotor, that is very hard wearing, and immune to fading.

That seems pretty nice to me.

I am at least very happy with mine.

Magura

mtbr member
    Just to chime in, I am not sure what happened to them, yet Fibre-Lyte of the UK offered carbon brake discs around 2008. Maybe some of our UK friends might be able to shed some light on these. I do not know if they were for show or not. What I do know is that I do not see them on their catalog anymore.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    That depends how you define the word "problem"

A lighter rotor, that is very hard wearing, and immune to fading.

That seems pretty nice to me.

I am at least very happy with mine.

Magura
    You have a set? Pictures.

Helmetless Crasher
    No reason carbon-ceramic brakes would not work on a bike, but they would likely be crazy expensive if done properly. Production cars from Ferrari, Porsche, etc. have offerred CF rotors for over a decade, now. Replacement cost is about 5 grand PER WHEEL.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    These aren't carbon ceramic, that is a totally different beast. Interesting concept these brakes are, wonder how well they compare to their metal counterparts.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Magura
    Hey man, when I was in Santa Cruz I met two Danish girls from Aarhus who were hitch-hiking through the state. When they looked at my bikes in the back, she said, "oooh you're must be into downhill" with a cute smile and wide eyes and all her Danish accent.

What are the odds?

(so you're saying when I try your brakes you won't have fine Danish women serving our end of the day dinner?)

I took out the eye roll emoticon from your statement and now it reads much more truthfully. Sorry man, but your sarcasm isn't carrying you too far here. Try being a little bit more optimistic. You aren't saving anyone from anything by being so scathing, especially yourself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    This is very interesting
    Even if they werent so light just the heat dissipation characteristics would be worth it

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast