Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    @alex,

Keep us posted. I'm running same XTR brakes and pads and anxiously waiting for your results. Stock 180mm XT ICE rotors weighs ~131g each so in essence, you shaved 1/2 the weight or ~1/8 lbs each wheel (1/4 lbs total).

mtbr member
    ---------Ideas on pad material ------ Softer is better-----------
    Most brake rotors have a high void area 30%-50%. This means that the contact area of the pad is reduced and the force is increased. This should have no effect on braking power, because the increase in pressure offsets the smaller surface area. This does have an effect on pad life. More void area will decrease the life of the pad and require that you use a harder sintered metal pad. Solid rotors like the SFL have almost no void area, so the pad force will be lower with a higher surface area. This should increase the life of the pad with no loss of stopping power. Now this is where the pads friction properties come into play. I donít have all the information, but my guess is that a softer organic pad will perform better at this reduced force and last for a long period of time. Also bigger rotors are better
    Tribology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Applied Engineering Mechanics: Statics and Dynamics - Geoffrey Boothroyd, C. R. Poli - Google Books

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    ---------Ideas on pad material ------ Softer is better-----------
    Most brake rotors have a high void area 30%-50%. This means that the contact area of the pad is reduced and the force is increased. This should have no effect on braking power, because the increase in pressure offsets the smaller surface area. This does have an effect on pad life. More void area will decrease the life of the pad and require that you use a harder sintered metal pad. Solid rotors like the SFL have almost no void area, so the pad force will be lower with a higher surface area. This should increase the life of the pad with no loss of stopping power. Now this is where the pads friction properties come into play. I donít have all the information, but my guess is that a softer organic pad will perform better at this reduced force and last for a long period of time. Also bigger rotors are better
    Tribology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Applied Engineering Mechanics: Statics and Dynamics - Geoffrey Boothroyd, C. R. Poli - Google Books

The consensus is that users are having to apply a lot more pressure but still resulting in 30% degradation in power. I'm not sure how a softer pad will help here. I can attest to this personally on my buddy's setup.

Maromero
    I just got my 160's, will have to wait to install and burn them after Saturday, but, they sit totally flat on my crystal desktop.
    Will post impressions later to see if I am among the "consensus".
    They were spot on weight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon Brake rotors-dsc01669.jpg  

Carbon Brake rotors-dsc01670.jpg  

Last edited by doccoraje; 03-17-2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: adding pics

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    just received 2 sets of 180mm and installed

bed in procedure followed as per Kettle

New pads organic front/sinted rear, avid elixir 9 brakes

not stopping as good as metal at the moment, hopefully get better as they 'bed in' a bit more

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the update. There is currently three threads on mtbr on SICCC rotors and all have reported the same issues. Is there a way to combine the threads into one?

Anyone reached out to Kettle and ask if they've seen similar issues during testing? I'm not liking the time and distance that these rotors have to bed in to get even almost the same performance as steel rotors. That's just unreasonable.

I asked for a refund on my two-piece but they said Kickstarter's system doesn't allow for it. Instead, they said they could write me a check minus fees charged but they urged me to give the rotors a try.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Carbon Brake rotors

Going to switch out pads

Organic in the front is ok and going to put organic in the rear and see how they perform

They slow the bike down, but when you would expect the bike to stop or lock up, that bite isn't there, hopefully going organic will be the solution

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ms6073 View Post
    placed a micrometer flush against the arm of the stand and measuring the differences between each of the 6-mounts which varied from as little as .05mm to possibly as much as .50mm. So while this seems like a very small degree of variation near the center of the rotors rotation, I am guessing this would exacerbate the lateral variance along that axis as you radiate out further from the hub. At this point, I am thinking it might be wise to check with the local machine shop that turned the flanges off my hollowgram spindles to see if they can also mill the hub's disc mount faces to achieve some tighter tolerances.
    Followup. Swapped the rotors from my Enve Twenty9 XC wheelset with DT Swiss hubs and mounted them on the set of Stans ZTR 3.30 I use on the 29er SS and with new pads on the SRAM XO calipers, and the rotors appear to work better with no discernible pad rub but have yet to get out on the trails to really test them out. Very surprised at the difference of disc mount faces between the Stan's and more expensive DT Swiss hubs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I would at least try giving your current pads a solid 50 miles of riding before changing stuff around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Carbon Brake rotors

Just changing to organic rear, front organic is ok

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Carbon Brake rotors

Quote Originally Posted by AlienRFX View Post
    I would at least try giving your current pads a solid 50 miles of riding before changing stuff around.
    Did 50km on sintered and they were crap

Just changed to organic rear and done 2km and they are fine

Must have a dodgy pair of sintered pads or the rotors really prefer organic

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Anyone got any information if the batch supposed to ship on the 18th of march actually did?

Delivery times keep changing on the website.

Chris.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    nope got delayed
    Quote Originally Posted by krzysiekmz View Post
    Anyone got any information if the batch supposed to ship on the 18th of march actually did?

Delivery times keep changing on the website.

Chris.

mtbr member
    Am not sure if some one asked already,

Has anyone tried these with Maguras as the pad clearance is generally more than on other brands given they are designed around 2mm (width) rotor usage? And if so did you have any issues with rubbing or clearance?

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by drbelleville View Post
    Am not sure if some one asked already,

Has anyone tried these with Maguras as the pad clearance is generally more than on other brands given they are designed around 2mm (width) rotor usage? And if so did you have any issues with rubbing or clearance?
    I did, bad luck I got thicker rotors (2.1 and 2.2mm), I tried on the front wheel and even with the pads pushed all the way in they barely fit, giving constant rubbing, so, I reinstalled the Storm and contacted them to see if this is common problem and find a solution, Aaron told me:
    "Pushing the pads in, won't always do it, sometimes a system is in need of a bleed or has fluid volume for thinner rotors"
    He will comment with Josh, who has more experience in dealing with Maguras and let me know the possible fix for it.
    My brakes are MT8's with new performance pads and not so new Storm 160 rotors.
    I really want them to work.
    By the way the one I tried was perfectly true.
    Last edited by doccoraje; 03-20-2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: adding info

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje View Post
    I did, bad luck I got thicker rotors (2.1 and 2.2mm), I tried on the front wheel and even with the pads pushed all the way in they barely fit, giving constant rubbing, so, I reinstalled the Storm and contacted them to see if this is common problem and find a solution, Aaron told me:
    "Pushing the pads in, won't always do it, sometimes a system is in need of a bleed or has fluid volume for thinner rotors"
    He will comment with Josh, who has more experience in dealing with Maguras and let me know the possible fix for it.
    My brakes are MT8's with new performance pads and not so new Storm 160 rotors.
    I really want them to work.
    By the way the one I tried was perfectly true.
    I guess they made this video in response to your query, so you may find it of interest:

Kettle Cycles - SiCCC rotors: System Integration - YouTube

BTW, I got mine already, I will try them tomorrow if I can, and I will report how they work (Avid BB7 road calipers, Clarks organic pads)

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by campaleches View Post
    I guess they made this video in response to your query, so you may find it of interest:

To bad MT8's don't have that option.

mtbr member

Shimano pads with or without heatsink

going to be trying my 160/180 rotors soon with XT brakes, and plan on getting some new pads for them.

looks like organic is the way to go?

does anyone know if I should get the pads with the heatsink fins or without? if they would work better one way or the other with the siccc rotors

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron.S View Post
    Yes they are
    So I take it the 160 March Kickstarter batch didn't ship last week since I haven't gotten them and I live less than an hour away from your shop. Any chance they'll go out this week?
    Last edited by botanicbiker; 03-21-2013 at 11:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've recieved my rotors in the mail this week:*180mm front + 160mm rear. Waiting for my new set of wheels to mount them on.

I'm a little concerned though about all these user reviews that point out to a loss of brake power and biteÖ I'll test these with Magura Marta SL and let you know my findings.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje View Post
    To bad MT8's don't have that option.
    i bled my mt8 with a thinner block to get slightly less clearance so i bet you could do the opposite

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by natrat View Post
    i bled my mt8 with a thinner block to get slightly less clearance so i bet you could do the opposite
    Well, I got them to work even without a bleed, my caliper was slightly off, now it is rotating free, with just a minimal rub, yes, they are not totally true.
    Bedding went ok, but as others have noted, power is getting there really slow, after 30 minutes of gentle braking, I'm getting 70% of the stopping power I had with Storms. I only installed the front one, I'll wait until I feel it "normal" to put the rear one.
    Not a lot of noise, just a continuous hissss when applying force to them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by campaleches View Post
    Thats a really nice tool box in the background of the video.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Has anyone got any info. when the rotors supposed to ship on Match 18 will actually do?
    I can't get an answer from them.

Chris.

Thumper
    Quote Originally Posted by krzysiekmz View Post
    Has anyone got any info. when the rotors supposed to ship on Match 18 will actually do?
    I can't get an answer from them.

Chris.
    I just got notice that mine shipped out yesterday

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast