Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Results 501 to 550 of 681
  1. #501
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    385
    Were these the newer c-processed ones, or the original specification?

  2. #502
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3
    No idea, i didnt even know they were some new " processed ones"

  3. #503
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Lepave View Post
    I had them and wasted at least 5-6 outing ( around 100km) and yes i did bed them In properly with both pads.....total waste of money and time..... I have read some post where riders mentioned that in some occasion they are " ok" but come on , we need brakes that can do all without any worry and safety.
    Read my post just above yours then, no. 489. These rotors rock

  4. #504
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Lepave View Post
    I did bed them In properly with both pads.....total waste of money and time.
    At DH Nationals a guy said he tried these rotors with Shimano resin pads and they had so little bite they were unusable for MTBing. He hopped on my bike (with Formula brakes and their organic pads) and was shocked. He agreed that the power and feel are the same as organic pads with steel rotors. All we could figure is that some company's resin/organic pads work much better with these rotors than others. This creates a huge variable depending on what brand brake you run but that should be eliminated when the Siccc pads come out.
    Keep the Country country.

  5. #505
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Lepave View Post
    I had them and wasted at least 5-6 outing ( around 100km) and yes i did bed them In properly with both pads.....total waste of money and time..... I have read some post where riders mentioned that in some occasion they are " ok" but come on , we need brakes that can do all without any worry and safety.
    mine needed londer than that to bed in

  6. #506
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,721
    Quote Originally Posted by ctguru View Post
    mine needed londer than that to bed in
    Again, notice the difference with different pads. The rotors I had over the winter with sintered pads required 3 trips down a 2000ft trail with lots of braking to bed in. The newer rotors I've been using with Formula organics needed no bedding in for decent performance (literally good feeling when slowing for the first turn) and were fully up to power by the bottom of the first run on much less brake heavy trails.

    Until they get the Siccc pads out their reputation will suffer from the wide variation in performance experienced by owners of different brands of brakes.
    Keep the Country country.

  7. #507
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Again, notice the difference with different pads. The rotors I had over the winter with sintered pads required 3 trips down a 2000ft trail with lots of braking to bed in. The newer rotors I've been using with Formula organics needed no bedding in for decent performance (literally good feeling when slowing for the first turn) and were fully up to power by the bottom of the first run on much less brake heavy trails.

    Until they get the Siccc pads out their reputation will suffer from the wide variation in performance experienced by owners of different brands of brakes.
    I really like mine
    I'm sending them back as they have warped

    Kettle have been really helpful with the return process

    I'm happy to support the product as it works well for my riding terrain etc.

  8. #508
    I <3 dirt
    Reputation: Ilikemtb999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,407

    Carbon Brake rotors

    At this point I just want a product to even complain about

    Going on 5 months late on two piece rotors

  9. #509
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    135
    I called them this week. They told me they were having issues bonding the center carrier to the braking ring. They were working on a solution and would know in the next few weeks (about the same time the pads are done) whether the solution works. Otherwise they would offer kickstarters that paid for the 2 piece, one piece rotors instead. Why they can't update their website to state this I have no idea, but like you would like a product to test out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikemtb999 View Post
    At this point I just want a product to even complain about

    Going on 5 months late on two piece rotors

  10. #510
    I <3 dirt
    Reputation: Ilikemtb999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,407

    Carbon Brake rotors

    Quote Originally Posted by bikerider2 View Post
    I called them this week. They told me they were having issues bonding the center carrier to the braking ring. They were working on a solution and would know in the next few weeks (about the same time the pads are done) whether the solution works. Otherwise they would offer kickstarters that paid for the 2 piece, one piece rotors instead. Why they can't update their website to state this I have no idea, but like you would like a product to test out.
    They told me that exact same thing back in May; in fact he told me by the next week they'd be ready.

  11. #511
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikemtb999 View Post
    They told me that exact same thing back in May; in fact he told me by the next week they'd be ready.
    What happened to the ones they were riding around in their videos?
    I thought they were ready to go from the moment I had paid mine...this is BS! I guess will just have to wait until then. The sucky part is, we're almost at fall season.... Missed spring and summer rides my Mojo HD is not happy

  12. #512
    Maromero
    Reputation: doccoraje's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,479
    For those waiting for C-processed rotor+pads, quick response to my ticket:
    "Pad production was delayed due to a scheduling problem with our pad vendor's production line. We were removed to accommodate a large client and, as of this week, have been put back into production. Our vendor is promising to deliver pads in two weeks time."
    Why it doesn't surprise me? I honestly hope they sort all their problems.

  13. #513
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,847

    Carbon Brake rotors

    I'm pretty sure that in a few years, these guys will be outfitting the majority of the pro-level riders out there and make a fortune with these rotors. They're not the first ground-breaking company that experience challenging and chaotic beginnings. Just think about Steve Jobs or even the first inverted MTB forks.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

  14. #514
    11 is one louder than 10
    Reputation: Green Giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,395

    Yup, disaster so far.

    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje View Post
    For those waiting for C-processed rotor+pads, quick response to my ticket:
    "Pad production was delayed due to a scheduling problem with our pad vendor's production line. We were removed to accommodate a large client and, as of this week, have been put back into production. Our vendor is promising to deliver pads in two weeks time."
    Why it doesn't surprise me? I honestly hope they sort all their problems.

    I realize that new technology and new companies may have some issues, but thus far this for me has been a bit of a disaster.

    I did receive my rotors, but held off for a few reviews (fortunately). So mine were new and untouched when I sent them back for the c-processing. I also took advantage of that time to purchase some new pads at a discount.

    Then I received an e-mail regarding no-charge pads, yet I had paid 50 bucks for new pads.

    Today I simply tried to ask for a refund on everything, or at least on the pre-purchased pads as this process has been a bit of a fiasco, and the season is over half over.


    Frustrating and confusing so far.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

  15. #515
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    127

    Upset Wow!

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
    I realize that new technology and new companies may have some issues, but thus far this for me has been a bit of a disaster.

    I did receive my rotors, but held off for a few reviews (fortunately). So mine were new and untouched when I sent them back for the c-processing. I also took advantage of that time to purchase some new pads at a discount.

    Then I received an e-mail regarding no-charge pads, yet I had paid 50 bucks for new pads.

    Today I simply tried to ask for a refund on everything, or at least on the pre-purchased pads as this process has been a bit of a fiasco, and the season is over half over.


    Frustrating and confusing so far.
    I called them today becaused I wanted to see If I can switch to the SFL instead, since the two piece is still not ready. I figured that SFL's would be readily available since they already in production. No freakin luck!!!
    Same waiting period! They may not be ready til end of the month... "May not be ready"! Also, they may just decide to do just the SFL's instead. Very frustrated at this time!!!

  16. #516
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ms6073's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    157
    I was an early KickStarter campaign backer and have got the rotors at the beginning of March and initially intended to use them with Shimano CX75 mechanicals on my cross bike, but the rotors I received were out of true from day one and no amount of adjustment with the mechanical calipers (Shimano CX75 and Avid BB7SL) could eliminate the significant rubbing/binding. I then moved them over to my SS 29er with Shimano XTR and Ashima Ai2 rotors and while the carbon rotors still produced a very minor amount of pad rub, I figured it was acceptable. Although I don't get out on the 29er that much, after a few rides I was starting to like them until this past week when I took a quick roll around in the parking lot on a friends Scott 29er with the same calipers and Ashima Ai2 rotors and even for a neophyte off-road rider, the difference in stopping power was significant. Last weekend I put the Ashima Ai2 rotors back on and then opened a ticket with Kettle and mailed the SICC 160mm rotors back for C-Processing and hopefully a set of carbon pads. At this point though, it doesn't really matter because based on others experiences, I am doubting I will see a set of rotors get returned from Kettle!

  17. #517
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    87

    Carbon Brake rotors

    Delete
    Last edited by ctguru; 09-24-2013 at 09:34 PM.

  18. #518
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    87

    Carbon Brake rotors

    Anyone used any of the new Kettle specific pads yet?

  19. #519
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,855
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    . Just think about Steve Jobs or even the first inverted MTB forks.
    Well, Jobs and Hannebrink were both heavy and problematic, and now they are both dead!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

  20. #520
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    87

    Carbon Brake rotors

    Quote Originally Posted by ms6073 View Post
    I was an early KickStarter campaign backer and have got the rotors at the beginning of March and initially intended to use them with Shimano CX75 mechanicals on my cross bike, but the rotors I received were out of true from day one and no amount of adjustment with the mechanical calipers (Shimano CX75 and Avid BB7SL) could eliminate the significant rubbing/binding. I then moved them over to my SS 29er with Shimano XTR and Ashima Ai2 rotors and while the carbon rotors still produced a very minor amount of pad rub, I figured it was acceptable. Although I don't get out on the 29er that much, after a few rides I was starting to like them until this past week when I took a quick roll around in the parking lot on a friends Scott 29er with the same calipers and Ashima Ai2 rotors and even for a neophyte off-road rider, the difference in stopping power was significant. Last weekend I put the Ashima Ai2 rotors back on and then opened a ticket with Kettle and mailed the SICC 160mm rotors back for C-Processing and hopefully a set of carbon pads. At this point though, it doesn't really matter because based on others experiences, I am doubting I will see a set of rotors get returned from Kettle!
    I got mine back and I'm in Australia

  21. #521
    11 is one louder than 10
    Reputation: Green Giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,395
    So,

    Still haven't gotten my rotors back from c-processing, nor the pads.

    Got an e-mail back in August saying things were coming, or I could get a full refund on everything.

    Gave it two weeks, asked for refund - no response. Sent an e-mail again Sept 20th - no response.

    Disaster. Just want a refund for the rotors and pads I paid for and still don't have.

    I expect here soon we will hear they are out of business and the money is lost.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

  22. #522
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    76

    No good

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
    So,

    Still haven't gotten my rotors back from c-processing, nor the pads.

    Got an e-mail back in August saying things were coming, or I could get a full refund on everything.

    Gave it two weeks, asked for refund - no response. Sent an e-mail again Sept 20th - no response.

    Disaster. Just want a refund for the rotors and pads I paid for and still don't have.

    I expect here soon we will hear they are out of business and the money is lost.
    From Malaysia.

    Rotors sent back half year ago and no news since two months ago..do not get any reply from FB or kettle cycles website..

    I think find my rotors app is needed on my iOS device.

  23. #523
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,721
    I was surprised to see this new SFL rotor design. I just got this 7" rotor to replace one I smashed to bits on a rock during an Enduro World Series round. That rock probably turned 100 rotors into locked-up tacos during practice and race runs. It also broke spokes on several rider's rear wheels including Jared Graves' during his race run. Fortunately my incident was in practice and while half the rotor turned to dust the other half stayed straight and ran cleanly through the caliper so I could ride down to the pits. Crash replacement cost is half retail price.
    Keep the Country country.

  24. #524
    I <3 dirt
    Reputation: Ilikemtb999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,407
    Actual rotor bolt holes instead of slots, nice.

  25. #525
    mtbr member
    Reputation: alexbn921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19
    Update
    Looks like they have been working on the design of the rotors. Mine look different from the new ones.
    I have 200+ miles on my rear rotor and it is great. I up sized to a 180 in the back with XTR race brakes (resin pads) and they have the perfect level of grip. They have also have stayed true and quiet. I start with one rotor on the front, but the braking friction was no where near steel so it move to the back and has been working great ever since. These are the C-Processed ones, the first set was not up to the task. Every time I have contacted Kettle they have gotten back to me fast all be it with some attitude. We singed up to be the Ginny pigs and they are working on their product. While I like to have everything right now, the longer you wait the better the rotors are probable going to be. Once pads come out and they are 3 or 4 generation it, everyone will want them. I ordered pads the day they said they where going to make them. Its been 2-3 months. Hopefully I will get them soon.
    Safety First.

  26. #526
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,721
    I got a message saying they're waiting on their vendor for my Formula pads, but more interesting was he mentioned they're receiving other pads.........so maybe good news for Shimano and Avid owners who had early orders in.
    Keep the Country country.

  27. #527
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
    So,

    Still haven't gotten my rotors back from c-processing, nor the pads.

    Got an e-mail back in August saying things were coming, or I could get a full refund on everything.

    Gave it two weeks, asked for refund - no response. Sent an e-mail again Sept 20th - no response.

    Disaster. Just want a refund for the rotors and pads I paid for and still don't have.

    I expect here soon we will hear they are out of business and the money is lost.
    I hope these guys can stick it out and get a decent product out the door.

    Did you start with Kickstarter?
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

  28. #528
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    127
    Just had a long talk with Josh. Wil is no longer with kettle so they're short staffed.
    According to Josh, all rotors are good to go, and they're just waiting on the pads for certain brakes from the vendor. Mine will be/should be ready in a few more weeks(magura marta sl). Looks like the two piece rotors are out of the questions for now. I will be getting the SFL instead... Which I don't mind right now. He was also very apologetic for not posting some sort of updates. He stated that he's basically working all areas in production right now. He is working in updating kickstarters soon.
    He's a vey pleasant to speak with, and I can tell that he's working he's tail off over there

  29. #529
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ms6073's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by bayareaflip View Post
    Just had a long talk with Josh... so they're short staffed....
    Blah blah blah -
    He's a very pleasant to speak with, and I can tell that he's working he's tail off over there
    So what I hear you saying is if everyone would stop calling/e-mailing, then maybe they could get something done? (note use of emoticon in an attempt to indicate humor)

    Update: Dayum! Just got a telephone call from Kettle about the rotors shipped back/ticket filed last month for which Kettle indicated that c-processed rotors and pads for Shimano brakes would be shipped out today!
    Last edited by ms6073; 10-03-2013 at 09:52 AM.

  30. #530
    RIDE...
    Reputation: MarcoL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    421
    Has anyone got their rotors back??


    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

  31. #531
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    87

    Carbon Brake rotors

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoL View Post
    Has anyone got their rotors back??


    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    I've got mine back

  32. #532
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    20
    Got mine. They're worth the wait!

  33. #533
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ms6073's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    157
    Got mine back on Saturday and mounted them on the cross bike with the same wheels as before and still getting pad rub with TRP Spyre SL mechanical disc brakes. Will try them on the 29er with different wheels but will not be able to get this done until after we return from holiday.

  34. #534
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,418
    My two 160 rotors & carbon pads showed up today from C-Processing. They mounted up true with no pad rub @ 3.5 NM torque. Followed Kettle's bed in process & have very good stopping power - XTR 985. I would say power is on par with steel rotors & XTR Resin pads. Its been a long ordeal for Kettle and its nice to see they've got a very good product now and these are no longer just for Beach cruisers & Weight weenies who just want to hang their bikes from weigh scales and take pictures. I'll likely pic up a couple more for my XC race bike.
    The only down-side is C-Processing added weight to both my rotors. They were each 53 grams, after C-P they both weigh 61 grams. The carbon pads however are only 8 grams for the pair.

  35. #535
    mtbr member
    Reputation: alexbn921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19
    I just received my XTR Pads and they are great. They bed in on one ride and provide steels level bite and power. They are also super light. The bad news is that my rotors are warped and there dose not seem to be a way to straighten them. I tried gently bending them with a morning star rotor wrench and it worked on the stand, but as soon as I road the bike they went back to warped. I marked the amount of run out on the rotor, then rotated it on the wheel and rechecked. I also tried torquing the rotor from finger tight to 35in/lbs and it did not affect the shape of the rotor.
    <a href="http://s122.photobucket.com/user/alexbn921/media/Bike%20parts/IMG_2990_zps8c4b830d.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o241/alexbn921/Bike%20parts/IMG_2990_zps8c4b830d.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo IMG_2990_zps8c4b830d.jpg"/></a>
    <a href="http://s122.photobucket.com/user/alexbn921/media/Bike%20parts/IMG_2991_zps7252c5fc.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o241/alexbn921/Bike%20parts/IMG_2991_zps7252c5fc.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo IMG_2991_zps7252c5fc.jpg"/></a>
    <a href="http://s122.photobucket.com/user/alexbn921/media/Bike%20parts/IMG_2995_zpsb4d2e83b.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o241/alexbn921/Bike%20parts/IMG_2995_zpsb4d2e83b.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo IMG_2995_zpsb4d2e83b.jpg"/></a>
    <a href="http://s122.photobucket.com/user/alexbn921/media/Bike%20parts/IMG_2997_zps350e8087.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o241/alexbn921/Bike%20parts/IMG_2997_zps350e8087.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo IMG_2997_zps350e8087.jpg"/></a>

  36. #536
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ms6073's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    157
    Sounds like the same issue I observed with DT 240 hubs built under Enve carbon rims. Before I sent my rotors back for c-proc, I used a truing stand and digital caliper to perform a pseudo measurement of the disc rotor mounting face of the DT hubs and found very small differences for each tab. Next, I moved the rotors to a Stans wheelset and found the warp to be a bit less but still observed pad rub with XTR calipers. Now that I have new c-proc rotors and am observing the same issue, I have to believe the issue is with the disc mounting faces of the hubs and not the rotors but other than shimming individual tabs, not much I can think of to remedy the situation. I have a set of DT 240 centerlock hubs which are set aside to build up a new wheelset with the Derby wide carbon rims and am hopeful these new rotors might give better results with cl adapters.

  37. #537
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,721
    If you want to try shimming uneven hub disc mounts Shimano makes something that will work and is very easy to find cuz they come with Shimano rotors and most people don't use them. If you don't have any your shop probably does.



    These were meant to go over the disc and have the corners bent up to lock the bolt. They are pretty thin and have the correct inner and outer diameter to work as shims behind the rotor. Flatten out the corners a little with pliers, then use as-is for 2 neighboring mounts or cut in half for 1 mount. I haven't tried it but came up with the idea once while contemplating a bent rotor.
    If someone knows of an even thinner washer that could be commonly found in bike shops let me know. You definitely want an M4 hole and wide enough to cover the whole rotor/tab interface.
    Keep the Country country.

  38. #538
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    576

    Carbon Brake rotors

    I'm kind of curious how bad that carbon brake dust is for you though. From what I understand breathing in carbon fiber particles is as bad for you as asbestos (for same reasons I think) so the carbon pad thing makes me wonder what are they actually made of?

  39. #539
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    If you want to try shimming uneven hub disc mounts Shimano makes something that will work and is very easy to find cuz they come with Shimano rotors and most people don't use them. If you don't have any your shop probably does.



    These were meant to go over the disc and have the corners bent up to lock the bolt. They are pretty thin and have the correct inner and outer diameter to work as shims behind the rotor. Flatten out the corners a little with pliers, then use as-is for 2 neighboring mounts or cut in half for 1 mount. I haven't tried it but came up with the idea once while contemplating a bent rotor.
    If someone knows of an even thinner washer that could be commonly found in bike shops let me know. You definitely want an M4 hole and wide enough to cover the whole rotor/tab interface.
    syntace also make them

    Syntace

  40. #540
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,721
    Quote Originally Posted by litany View Post
    I'm kind of curious how bad that carbon brake dust is for you though. From what I understand breathing in carbon fiber particles is as bad for you as asbestos (for same reasons I think) so the carbon pad thing makes me wonder what are they actually made of?
    Don't use compressed air to clean you brakes. Last I heard the pads are made of the same stuff as the rotors.

    This isn't the first time carbon dust has been an issue for bike mechanics. Cutting carbon bars, posts, and steerers creates dust that you don't want to breath. Not really an issue for home mechanics but when you work on bikes every day you wear a mask. Same with all the fluids in a modern bike. Most shop mechanics put on latex gloves to bleed brakes, rebuild suspension, ect.
    Keep the Country country.

  41. #541
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,721
    Quote Originally Posted by ctguru View Post
    syntace also make them

    Syntace
    Sick! They're probably thinner. You're not gonna just randomly find those in your toolbox or a shop but I'll order a set to keep on hand.

    Edit: QBP is out of stock but shows them as a stocked item so any shop can get'em.....once they're back in stock.

    Double Edit: Shimanos measure at .25mm and Syntace is .2mm.
    Keep the Country country.

  42. #542
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    33
    Got the Avid Siccc pads in yesterday. Aaron from Kettle said to just mount them and they will burn off the organic bedding on the rotor. after a quick 10 miles of single track today, I have to say this combination is performing great! Quite satisfied.

  43. #543
    I <3 dirt
    Reputation: Ilikemtb999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,407

    Carbon Brake rotors

    Any word if the two piece rotors are just not happening?

    Glad to hear people are getting pads and their rotors back though. Those guys must be real busy over there.

  44. #544
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,721
    ^Not happening for this year.
    Keep the Country country.

  45. #545
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    76
    And once again i asked.....where is mine?

  46. #546
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,721
    Quote Originally Posted by jos3ph4ever View Post
    And once again i asked.....where is mine?
    Are they coming with pads for a brake other than new Shimano or Avid Elixer? If so the hold up is waiting for those pads. I was told new Formula are next to be ready.
    Keep the Country country.

  47. #547
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,000
    Let me know when formula pads are done, I might go for it.

  48. #548
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    My two 160 rotors & carbon pads showed up today from C-Processing. They mounted up true with no pad rub @ 3.5 NM torque. Followed Kettle's bed in process & have very good stopping power - XTR 985. I would say power is on par with steel rotors & XTR Resin pads. Its been a long ordeal for Kettle and its nice to see they've got a very good product now and these are no longer just for Beach cruisers & Weight weenies who just want to hang their bikes from weigh scales and take pictures. I'll likely pic up a couple more for my XC race bike.
    The only down-side is C-Processing added weight to both my rotors. They were each 53 grams, after C-P they both weigh 61 grams. The carbon pads however are only 8 grams for the pair.
    Just a follow up now that I have a couple of good rides on these.
    Conditions here are wet and trails are tight single track with lots of rooty sidehills & steep rooty downhills - perfect conditions to evaluate modulation. I ended up running the carbon pads in the front for max. power, but running stock XTR Resin pads ( I cleaned mine up on course emery cloth ) in the rear. You can still lock up the rear wheel with one finger braking, but the Resin pads give better modulation. Very happy with both brakes with excellent modulation & power - perfect set-up for the terrain I ride. Should be great in the snow/ice as I also winter ride, but still need to see if these are going to squeal when really wet. For riders familiar with XTR brakes, these have the modulation of 975's & the power of 985's.
    The carbon pads don't have alot of pad material on them and was concerned how long they would last on the rear, so this set-up gives me a spare carbon set for the front & also a spare resin set for the rear.

  49. #549
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,000
    That is my next question, how much are the carbon pads, how long do they last?

  50. #550
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    76
    I lost my rotors so I cannot answer until they show up....

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •