mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Cantilevers? Disc brakes? Old school. Wireless is the new hotness

A german scientist has invented a wireless brake system for mountain bikes, and they have a 99.999999% success rate. I hate to be on that trillionth ride when they fail, though. AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHH!

I personally can't imagine having to change batteries to keep my brakes working. That sounds a bit scary. I am too lazy to change the batteries on the tv remote.

Wireless bike brake system has the highest GPA ever -- Engadget

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    cool concept, but an application for mtb I don't think so. With such a variety of terrain and changing conditions all the time how do you get a sense of modulation.

ballbuster

Heh.....

Quote Originally Posted by 2tallrid3r View Post
    A german scientist has invented a wireless brake system for mountain bikes, and they have a 99.999999% success rate. I hate to be on that trillionth ride when they fail, though. AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHH!

I personally can't imagine having to change batteries to keep my brakes working. That sounds a bit scary. I am too lazy to change the batteries on the tv remote.

Wireless bike brake system has the highest GPA ever -- Engadget
    That's probably higher than Avid Mechanicals. I had one totally explode on me once.

So, where did they come up with that metric? Sounds like somebody pulled it out of their behinds, to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    That's probably higher than Avid Mechanicals. I had one totally explode on me once.

So, where did they come up with that metric? Sounds like somebody pulled it out of their behinds, to me.
    I have had catastrophic failure with Avid Juicy 7's with 203's three times... all on long steep descents. I even stopped twice to let them cool, and would alternate and feather the brakes to keep them going. I don't suppose these would respond to heat any better than hydraulic discs or mechanical discs... if anything the servos might ADD and increase heat?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well sounds good but the failure rate will increase manyfold when tit gets cold out...kinda like my bike computer...

Also looks heavy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Wonderful....another wireless item that one of my lights can cause interference with. I can live without my Cateye wireless on a night ride. My brakes...not so much.

mtbr member
    One of the commenters on that article said it best, that could have just as easily been from The Onion.

Having electric shifters (Shimano Di2 which is awesome) is one thing but electric brakes? That's worse than a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

And what's up with that bike?