mtbr member

Cantilever (Shorty 6) clearance problem on SS cyclocross frame. Please advise

Are there different types./brands/styles of canti's that will fix the problem you can see?

There is no way the pad can squeeze in...even when I take out the Avid alignment washers and bump the pad all the way up to the caliper....the angle is all off and the clearance is still too tight. Plus the slot on the caliper is too high for the necessary contact angle.

I built the SS track style drop out cross frame (through a frame school) and now am running into this brake clearance issue in the rear. I measure the distance from post to post....60 mm. Compared it to my Surly crosscheck 75mm.

Are there any types of Canti's that possibly have a different "style" of pad alignment approach to the rim? I notice this style is different (Tektro CR720 Cantilver Brake)
    Thanks in advance. I will have to bust out the dremel if I can find a better solution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cantilever (Shorty 6) clearance problem on SS cyclocross frame. Please advise-brake-issue-2.jpg  

Cantilever (Shorty 6) clearance problem on SS cyclocross frame. Please advise-brake-clearance-issue-1.jpg  

Last edited by illcomm33; 10-27-2010 at 07:22 AM.

Picture Unrelated
    Take out the conical washer between the brake arm and the brake pad. You may need to find an equal thickness washer to put on before the bolt attachment to get enough thread contact. I'm not sure how much adjustment you will loose, but it's worth a try form looking at that second picture.

If that doesn't work, you should try and find a shop that carries a lot of cantilever brakes, a cross speciality store certainly will.

Something like the Paul design may be able to buy you a different kind of clearance, but it's so hard to say.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ntilevers.aspx
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by illcomm33
    Are there different types./brands/styles of canti's that will fix the problem you can see?

There is no way the pad can squeeze in...even when I take out the Avid alignment washers and bump the pad all the way up to the caliper....the angle is all off and the clearance is still too tight. Plus the slot on the caliper is too high for the necessary contact angle.

I built the SS track style drop out cross frame (through a frame school) and now am running into this brake clearance issue in the rear. I measure the distance from post to post....60 mm. Compared it to my Surly crosscheck 75mm.

Are there any types of Canti's that possibly have a different "style" of pad alignment approach to the rim? I notice this style is different (Tektro CR720 Cantilver Brake)
    Thanks in advance. I will have to bust out the dremel if I can find a better solution.
    The builder screwed up. Stays too close together and appears the bosses are a bit high.

Cut the brake bridge out, spread the stays and braze in a new bridge.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Paul's type might work, but you can't use them on the rear as you'll likely hit your legs on them.

That's an odd frame there, I'd be none too happy with it being so out of spec.

Picture Unrelated
    Easy guys, OP said they built the frame their self in a frame building class. Let's see the the brake spacing on the frame you built
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member

Working with what I got....

Thanks for everyone's responses...and the back-up Zebrahum! I am also bummed that the guidance /assistance/direction (I received at the frame school) when the jig was set up for me appears to be off. I didn't think it was necessary to question the teacher.....

Live and learn for sure. This is my first frame and I assume more little headaches like this will happen in the future.

As for how things are turning out...
    Check out the pics.

The new Tektro calipers I purached allowed a few extra MM's to work with when mounted up vs the Shorty 6. I also ended up getting lower profile brake pads to help with clearance/alignment at the rim.

Lastly it took some filing of a conical washer to get a good contact angle (between pad and inside of caliper arm. Using the standard cup washer setup was an issue...everytime I tried to tighten the brake pad down....because the washers were so angled, they would revert back to a more natural position).

Getting the chain and final touches today....wish me luck.
    T
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cantilever (Shorty 6) clearance problem on SS cyclocross frame. Please advise-100_8029.jpg  

Cantilever (Shorty 6) clearance problem on SS cyclocross frame. Please advise-100_8031.jpg  

mtbr member
    Uh get wide profile canti's that use un-threaded pad posts. They'll work great so long as you only use them for cross races. And by great I mean ok.