mtbr member

Can't get pistons pushed back

I put new pads in my Elixir R brakes. I pushed the pistons back enough to get the pads in. The wheel and rotor barely fit back in, and now the pads are binding on the rotor. I thought they were self adjusting?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I have hope for the human race. ~ H.G. Wells

No, that's not phonetic
    2 things. Do you see any hint of corrosion? I just had to dribble a few drops of a teflo-based lube (Finish Line "Dry" chain lube) around the pistons to free them on a friend's juicys. Just wipe any extra away so it doesn't foul the pads. I also had to open the bleed screw at the lever and let a tiny bit of brake fluid out because the system was acting like it was overfilled. The results turned out great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    2 things. Do you see any hint of corrosion? I just had to dribble a few drops of a teflo-based lube (Finish Line "Dry" chain lube) around the pistons to free them on a friend's juicys. Just wipe any extra away so it doesn't foul the pads. I also had to open the bleed screw at the lever and let a tiny bit of brake fluid out because the system was acting like it was overfilled. The results turned out great.
    There shouldn't be any corrosion. The bike is still fairly new.

I may try to let some of the fluid out.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I have hope for the human race. ~ H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by js_paddle07
    There shouldn't be any corrosion. The bike is still fairly new.

I may try to let some of the fluid out.
    If the brake hasn't been bled with worn down pads, it won't be overfilled.

You probably just aren't prying hard enough.

The brakes are self adjusting. They adjust in for pad wear. Not out for new pads.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by js_paddle07
    I put new pads in my Elixir R brakes. I pushed the pistons back enough to get the pads in. The wheel and rotor barely fit back in, and now the pads are binding on the rotor. I thought they were self adjusting?
    Pistons go crooked? Sometimes when I'm pressing my pistons back in (sounds dirty), they will get a bit crooked and jam. A little pressure on the lever pops them back free.

Make sure you are pushing them in perfectly straight and with even pressure.

My Hopes have an accordion style bladder with a cap on top. The air gap to the back of the accordion bladder is extremely tiny. It would not surprise me if the trapped air in there couldn't get out, therefore not letting the fluid back up to the reservoir.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    The brakes are self adjusting. They adjust in for pad wear. Not out for new pads.
    Wouldn't brakes (pistons) go out on worn out pads and come in for new pads?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You could pry them apart, but that risks damaging the new pads. Instead, take a piece of card stock (business card or cereal box), fold it over the rotor, then force the pads over that. The pads should get pushed back in just enough to work properly. If you can't get the rotor and paper between the pads because they are stuck, then they might really be stuck. If there is too much rubbing, you could try two layers of cardboard to increase the gap.

It sounds like they are not stuck, the OP was just expecting them to self-adjust back. They only self-adjust in one direction to compensate for pad wear, and will not adjust for new pads.
    Matt

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tillers_Rule
    Wouldn't brakes (pistons) go out on worn out pads and come in for new pads?
    You have to manually push them back in for new pads.

mtbr member
    I put the pad spacer in and pulled the lever a few times. The pistons went in a little farther, but within a few seconds they creep back out. I can get the wheel and rotor in between the pads, but like I said, the pads are rubbing. That rear brake lever feels really tight as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Try taking the top cap off the resevoir and push the pistons back in. After they are pushed in refill is necessary and put the cap back on.

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzflyer
    Try taking the top cap off the resevoir and push the pistons back in. After they are pushed in refill is necessary and put the cap back on.
    There is no resevoir cap on the Elixers.

mtbr member
    Anyone else? I am very frustrated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Take it to your lbs and have them show you how to push the pistons all the way back into the calipers, check for sticky piston, etc.