mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Cant get new pads in my Juicy 3's

Hello,

I had to replace my rear pads on my Juicy 3's. I got some pads from Discobrakes. I am having a massive problem getting them installed.

Is there any tips to getting this bloody things in. Never had a problem like this with any other brakes.

mtbr member
    Are the pads the same as the ones you pulled out, size/shape? Did you push the pistons back into the calipers to allow for thicker pads?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Gecko View Post
    Are the pads the same as the ones you pulled out, size/shape? Did you push the pistons back into the calipers to allow for thicker pads?
    Yes the previous pads were from the same company, exactly the same size except the pads are much thicker.

I have put the old pads back in and tried opening the pistons using the back end of a knife. I have pushed rather hard. After i release pressure the pistons just go back to the same place. They stick out about a mm on each side.

mtbr member
    Release the pressure at the bars

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi,

Could you have too much oil in the brake system? Have you added more oil after you bought the brakes and before replacing the pads? If so try putting the lever vertical, then gently open the oil reservoir, and afterwards push the piston carefully to see if it holds. Take care not to let any oil spill from the reservoir, use a rag or something.

I had previous experience with juicy's 3 2009 brakes and the aftermarket pads were always too close of a match, and rubbed the discs for a while.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Gecko View Post
    Release the pressure at the bars
    I'm not sure what that means. I have never touched the lines / oil since getting the bike over a year ago.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Brake fluid attracts moisture wherever it can and expands. You have too much fluid in the system because it has attracted moisture. Therefore you need to let some fluid out.

The safest place to bleed out excess fluid is at the master cylinder on the levers. position the bleed port as the highest point in the system and remove the plug with a torx wrench. Brake fluid is nasty stuff so surround the area with paper towel and wear disposable gloves. Pushing back the pistons will eject the excess fluid. Replace the plug.rinse off any fluid with water and wash your hands thoroughly too.

Now you will be able to fit your pads.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ok so I opened the bleed valve and pushed the pistons out, maybe 3-4 drops of clear liquid came out.

After that the pads fit in perfectly.

This doesn't sound right to me, if the liquid is the same as when I bought the bike why did I need to take some out? where did the excess come from?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by petercarm View Post
    Brake fluid attracts moisture wherever it can and expands. You have too much fluid in the system because it has attracted moisture. Therefore you need to let some fluid out.
    from ambient moisture = water in the air

mtbr member
    Petercarm already answered: "Brake fluid attracts moisture wherever it can and expands. You have too much fluid in the system because it has attracted moisture."