Thread: Can't decide

Trek Fuel EX 7

Can't decide

I want great working breaks, and don't want to waste money just to have what looks nice. I already asked what you would choose between hayes HFX 9 and avid juicy 7. As I suspected you picked Avid. Now what I would like to know is what you would choose between avid juicy 7 and avid bb 7. My friend has old avid rim breaks and his will stop on a dime and throw you off. I like that kind of stopping power. Which one am I going to get that kinda power out of? went to LBS and they had a set of juicy 7 on a bike but no pedals so I couldn't ride it. But when applying the rear break I could turn the rear wheel by hand, it was hard but I could. The breaks I currently have are tektro lo's and my biggest problem is I can ride while applying the rear break and the front is not much better. PLEASE help me. I really like the idea of hydro's but don't want to waste money.

Meh.
    New pads and rotors need to be bedded before you get full power out of it.

No brakes will work well if they are not set up properly. The BB7s are generally easier to take care of. Both provide plenty of power.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Yep.. as will said... brakes need to be bedded in.. so that the pad and rotor "get along"

Boothe will get the job done...it just depends on what maintenances you want to do...

Phil from San Diego
    Looking at the topics posted in the BrakeTime... looks like alot of people have issues/problems with the Juicy 7s...

I've been using the BB7 for 2 seasons now, they are easy to adjust, works great with plenty of stopping power. The only reason I am thinking about upgrading to hydros are for maybe a bit better performance.. but mainly for the "bling" effect of having the best/nicest..

I think you'd be plenty happy with BB7's. Good luck!

Phil.

Meh.
    Issues arise from improper set-up and break-in (like all brakes). It is true that there were some faulty rotors out there though.