mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Can't center V-brake - HELP

So I did what I have read about and completely let out the micro brake adjustment at the lever, then loosened the brake cable at the brake itself, clamped the brake calipers shut on both sides, tightened the brake cable and then took the micro brake adjustment back in (i.e loosening brake).

Problem is one side is not loosening enough to get off wheel and no amount of adjusting the spring fixes it. HELP Thanks all!

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    On my V brakes, there are tiny screws the screw into the sides of the brakes. These push against the return springs and are what actually center the brakes. I don't know if all V brakes have these though.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Try pulling the arm off the brake post and throw some grease on the post. Not to long ago, I had a canti arm that wouldn't center and sticking on the post was the problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    Try pulling the arm off the brake post and throw some grease on the post. Not to long ago, I had a canti arm that wouldn't center and sticking on the post was the problem.
    Thanks. I will try that. As to the other post, I have already tried adjusting the spring screws.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Another culprit is that when the bike was assembled, an arm was accidentally inserted into the 'high tension' hole on the cantilever stud. Make sure both are in the center hole, or no amount of lubrication will help.

mtbr member
    You can also just take the spring wire, remove it from the brake arm (it just clips out) and give it a bend in the right direction. Not as fine adjustment as the screws, but can get you close so you can fine tune it with the screws.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My suggestion would be to check the spring positioning hole as wschruba suggested along with re-greasing both brake posts. Also depending on their current spring position on the brake post, I would even move the spring to the higher tension position to compensate in addition to bending the spring itself if needed.

You may want to lube/ replace your cable and housing for this brake too, as weird as it sounds if I remember correctly I have had this be the cause of a similar problem too.

mtbr member
    If you over-tightened the mounting bolt you may have mushroomed your brake stud a little. When you remove the caliper to grease the studs, make sure the caliper slides off and on easily. Also, is it the caliper arm with the cable housing noodle? If you got your housing too long it can push the brake caliper arm into the rim with more force than the tension spring can resist. Alternatively, if it's the non-noodle side, your housing may be too short and might be pulling the opposite arm into the rim.

Are they Tektros? I always had more trouble centering those than Shimanos for whatever that's worth...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It is the side opposite the housing. These are Avid Ti Single Digits.

Thanks everyone. I am going to work on it this weekend.