mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Can't adjust Avid Juicy 3's

Hey guys, I've got a new bike with Avid Juicy 3's and I just can't get the discs to stop rubbing. I've done everything:
    1) I just bled them. The pressure is good.
    2) I loosened the two bolts off the caliper so it moved freely. I rotated the wheel, grabbed the brake, then tightened the bolts, but I still get rubbing.
    3) I put that red tab in between the calipers to align the pads.
    4) I tried aligning the calipers with minor adjustments.
    AND NOTHING! I still get a ton of rubbing! Could it be possible that the tops of the disc are rubbing? I've still got all of the spacers in there, so I don't know why it won't work.
    Can anyone diagnose this?
    J

banned
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayzonk
    Hey guys, I've got a new bike with Avid Juicy 3's and I just can't get the discs to stop rubbing. I've done everything:
    1) I just bled them. The pressure is good.
    2) I loosened the two bolts off the caliper so it moved freely. I rotated the wheel, grabbed the brake, then tightened the bolts, but I still get rubbing.
    3) I put that red tab in between the calipers to align the pads.
    4) I tried aligning the calipers with minor adjustments.
    AND NOTHING! I still get a ton of rubbing! Could it be possible that the tops of the disc are rubbing? I've still got all of the spacers in there, so I don't know why it won't work.
    Can anyone diagnose this?
    J
    Dont worry no one else can.......

...idios...
    Try this.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Okay, I read through that. But should I take the pads out and just gently "push" on the pistons to realign them first?

...idios...
    You can push the pistons back when the pads are fitted - just use a flat screwdriver and a little care.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Okay, I'll try that. I'm in Canada - you're 8 hours ahead of me, I think. It's evening there? Quarter past 9? I can't get out to try it for an hour yet.

...idios...
    Seven hours; it's just after 8:15pm. It's a job for indoors, surely? If you have a little time to burn, check out Hope's caliper set-up videos...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Okay, thanks Steve!!! I'll try it later. With the kids....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Maybe this will help diagnose the problem:
    When I spin the wheel once the rotor will rub lightly in one spot only. I squeeze the brake.
    When I spin the wheel again, it rubs almost constantly all the way around.
    Does this indicate that the pistons aren't set correctly?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Okay, I watched the Hope video. I'm not sure where he put the screwdriver. It looks like he put it between the body of the brake caliper and the pad, and just sort of gently pried it. I don't know if he did it from the front of the brake body or the back. I'm not sure this is going to do it for me but I'll try.

...idios...
    "Does this indicate that the pistons aren't set correctly?"

No, it (probably) indicates that you have a sticky/slow piston.

With the Hopes, the caliper is open enough to be able to get a small screwdriver between the back of the pad and the caliper body; pressing both pads and the rotor over to one side so that the slow-moving piston can extend. You probably can't do this with the Juicy, so you'll need to grab the rotor with both hands and push/pull in the right direction while somebody else pulls the lever to activate the piston.
    Last edited by SteveUK; 04-08-2009 at 01:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Actually, I did something else similar to that: I took another rotor (not on a bike) and inserted it between the calipers and pressed it hard on one side, then the other. I pushed fairly hard - I think I was afraid to put any pressure on it before, and that probably ended up being the problem.
    The pistons look strange to me - they look like a little nodule with a stereo speaker around them. When I pushed them with my finger, I couldn't get them to move. I guess I was afraid to push harder for fear of breaking them.
    So that part of the problem is fixed. Now, there doesn't seem to be enough pressure in the brake lines. I already bled them, so i thought I had filled the lines completely. There's pressure there, but you can pull the lever within a half inch of the grips. Is there a way to increase the lever pressure?
    BTW, thanks for being so responsive to my problem. You've been really helpful.

...idios...
    The little nodule slides into the clip on the rear of the pad, to hold it in place. The "speaker" part is the piston face, which presses the pad against the rotor. The pistons actually take take a fair amount of pressure to get them moving, so it's no surrprise that you can't move them by hand.

I'm not clear what you've done with the second rotor. Did you use it to open the pads when the caliper was off the bike? The push/pull I was describing was to equalise the pistons/pads once the caliper is aligned. I'll take a picture and show you what I meant.

If you're 100% certain that the caliper is perfectly aligned over the rotor; and you 100% certain that both pistons are moving equally, pressing the pads against the rotor at the same time, then your lack of pressure would indicate that you need to bleed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The second rotor I'm talking about is just an extra one I had lying around. I just picked it up and put it between the pads while the bike was on the stand and pushed while holding the back side of the caliper with my hand. Probably would have been better to lay it flat on a piece of cardboard, but it worked.
    Yes, the pressure seems low. If the calipers aren't perfectly aligned, will the pressure feel low? They're pretty much centered, so I think I need to bleed again. That sucks because I just did it, and I thought I had plenty of pressure. I'll try it again. Can there be a problem if it takes a few extra seconds to get the bleed screw in after you finish the bleed?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I checked the pressure again today - I can move my finger in behind the lever when it's fully squeezed, plus I have another half an inch. Do I need to bleed again?