Pedal Power

Cannot properly bleed Elixir 5s

Hey all!
    so this is killing me. I bought 2 sets of avid elixir 5s for my new build. I had to bleed the rear kit because i have solid hoops for the line to be run to the back (would like to bleed the front for a better feel, eventually). the first one i had the lever was leaking. some how, some way internally the lever was leaking causing me to not be able to use it.

now i have the new lever, avid replaced it. however, i am unable to properly bleed it and get ANY pressure in the line. i have the proper kit, i am following this video
    Avid Elixir Disc Brake Bleed Procedure - YouTube

any ideas on what i might be missing? the new one does not seem to be leaking at all, but i get zero pressure. at the point of "flicking" the brake lever i feel pressure, but as soon as i take off the syringe at the lever, zero pressure.

thanks for any advice!
    Why Ti?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Are you using the fluid from the kit? Or something different?

It sounds like you could be missing something. If you are getting fluid in the system, and can't see it leaking out, it has to be going somewhere.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Did you use a new olive and barb?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I had the same issue when bleeding one of my elixir 5.

some how, air got into the caliper that i wasn't able to get out on the first bleed. I ended up doing a second bleed and spent a lot of time when de-gassing the caliper. At first there were no bubbles coming out of it but tapping on it with the plastic end of an screw driver set them free. ended up that there was a lot of air trapped in it. i also spend as much time as needed to degas the DOT fluid before starting the bleed. the more I degas, the better my bleed seems to be. if this doesn't solve the issue, keep trouble shooting to find out where there could be gas trapped and/or if something is leaking fluid.

also, before starting a bleed be sure to clean the crap out of the system with alcohol to make sure that if fluid is escaping, you can more easliy identify it.

I4NI
    Are you pulling back on the Syringe multiple times? I had to repeat this about 3X
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    I have to concur with the other folks in that you really have to degas the fluid. The first time I bled mine I wasn't pulling nearly hard enough on the syringe. Good luck.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

Pedal Power
    Hey guys, for some reason i wasnt getting alerts that anyone was posting, my bad!

thanks for the suggestions, im going to try again this weekend. i ended up taking the bike to a shop, and they were able to get SOME pressure in the system, but no where near enough. i have to pull the lever back to the bar to make it brake in the rear, not fun! I will try some more on "degassing" the caliper.

Thanks again!
    Why Ti?

mtbr member

Pedal Power
    well, it got a little bit better. what i think the issue may be is that the fluid runs out when i unscrew the syringe. if i could adjust the pads i could fit more fluid in there, but my pads appear to be fixed?. its something i can live with for now, maybe i just need new brakes
    Why Ti?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    bring them to a local shop to see what they can do. worst case, you'll end up paying them and the brakes will work. if the shop cannot get them working, then you'll get a new set out of the ordeal.

another thing to try, if not open to the above (highly recommended though), remove the pads and pump the brake lever just a little to extend the pistons a bit. Make sure to do this in very small increments until the pistons are just slightly extended. then, without putting the bleed block in the caliper, run a quick bleed through them. there will be a little more room for fluid in the caliper and it will give you a stronger feel a the lever. Keep in mind that too much extension on the pistons will not allow you to get your pads back in and keep them from rubbing the rotor.

I'd have a local shop check them out first though. Might save you some time and get you a new brake.

mtbr member

Smile

I think I may have a similar issue...I bought a new bike yesterday. I went to break in the pads (Elixir 5). I was wheeling the bike outside, holding the bars about chest height and rolling on the back wheel. I pumped the front brakes a couple times as I was walking and all of the sudden there is no pressure and the lever is bottoming out. When I put the bike back on two wheels and flicked the lever a few times it started coming back to life. I repeated the process a couple times, and is repeatable. Nothing is leaking. Does this sound like a problem with air in the line/bleed issue?

Thanks,
    Skymeat

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The no pressure up side down bike sindrome was cured by bleeding my brakes, I bled mine like 3 times before this problem was solved. Have patience, eventually theese brakes will feel great!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    another thing to try, remove the pads and pump the brake lever just a little to extend the pistons a bit. Make sure to do this in very small increments until the pistons are just slightly extended. then, without putting the bleed block in the caliper, run a quick bleed through them. there will be a little more room for fluid in the caliper and it will give you a stronger feel a the lever..
    ^^^ This. Always try to maximize the amount of brake fluid in the system.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nicoswit View Post
    The no pressure up side down bike sindrome was cured by bleeding my brakes, I bled mine like 3 times before this problem was solved. Have patience, eventually theese brakes will feel great!
    Thanks! I was searching for all kinds of things except upside down! I'm finding threads now Looks like I'm picking up a bleed kit today...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmTi View Post
    Hey all!
    so this is killing me. I bought 2 sets of avid elixir 5s for my new build. I had to bleed the rear kit because i have solid hoops for the line to be run to the back (would like to bleed the front for a better feel, eventually). the first one i had the lever was leaking. some how, some way internally the lever was leaking causing me to not be able to use it.

now i have the new lever, avid replaced it. however, i am unable to properly bleed it and get ANY pressure in the line. i have the proper kit, i am following this video
    sram.com/service/avid/68]Service Resources - Avid

any ideas on what i might be missing? the new one does not seem to be leaking at all, but i get zero pressure. at the point of "flicking" the brake lever i feel pressure, but as soon as i take off the syringe at the lever, zero pressure.

thanks for any advice!
    Mal, may I call you Mal?

Anywho, not sure I completely understand the issue. For one, you goal is not to "pressurize" the line. When you get to the end part where your bleeding the lever, you are supposed to be pulling back the plunger while pulling in the brake lever. Is the lever returning to its extended position after you pull it in? Are you saying that when you try to do that you are getting something other than a few little bubbles into the syringe? Just trying to figure out where things are going wrong for you.

When you are done at the lever, and done with the entire bleed procedure, and remove the syringe fitting from the lever (or caliper) bleed port, there should be no "pressure" to speak of (or else the brake fluid would come shooting out). You may get a drop or two down at the caliper before getting the screw back in but that should not be an issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    avid hydros are so easy to bleed, especially the 2012 elixirs. they are way easier than the new shimanos using the cup in bleed port method.

if you follow the directions in the avid bleed procedure video exactly, your brakes will be firm at the lever with no air in your system and work perfectly.