mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Cannondale Disc brake upgrade

Hello all!

I plan to get rid of the Coda Expert Disc Brakes on my 2000 model Cannondale F900.

I want something like Avid Juicy 7 instead, and that means a new wheelset as well, or at least hubs, so I'm looking at Mavic Crossmax XL or SL.

Is there any other compatibility issues I should be aware of?
    Is there any other product combination that will work particularly well?

If anyone has done a similar upgrade, or has any opinion about this it would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance (and sorry about my bad english)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by afinstad
    Hello all!

I plan to get rid of the Coda Expert Disc Brakes on my 2000 model Cannondale F900.
    Good upgrade!

Your C-dale probably uses 4-bolt rotor (most current rotors are 6 bolt) but you can probably use your old rotors with new brakes if your new brakes have similarly sized rotors.
    I've seen even 6-bolt rotors attached to 4 bolt hubs - not pretty but with some drilling and sawing it will work....

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If he needs a new wheelset his current hubs are not disc hubs.

The ISO standard changed in 2000 form the 1999 standard so you should be OK. You can tell by looking at the rear triangle. The inside face of the caliper mounting tabs should be about flush with the inside of the dropouts. If itís about a quarter inch different, then you may have a 1999 rear triangle.

Other than that I canít think of anything to look out for other than cable routing/attachment issues. There are enough gizmos made that you can overcome that though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Went through same process...

I went through a similar process last Spring.

After considering all of the options, I decided to upgrade wheels and brakes. Keeping the 4 bolt rotors was just not a viable option as it really limited your ability to get rotors that worked with brakes. Furthermore, my wheels needed upgrading anyway so it worked out okay.

Went with wheels from oddsandendos. Am very happy with these.

Went with Avid Mechanical brakes. These work great though are heavy. My wife has the Avid Juicy brakes on her bike and they are also great. More expensive but more power and lighter. We had some problems with the Juicys and stuttering (do a search on this) but that is now resolved. Only issue I had with the F900SX frame was that I needed to shim the Avid Mechanical brakes in order for them to fit to the frame. Just used a bunch of washers so that then the CPS (caliper position system) built into the brakes was far enough over to take over the rest of the adjustment. Other than that worked great.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Thanks!

Thank you all for your valuable input.

I really appreciate it.