mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Cannondale disc brake upgrade

Hello,

I've got an '06 Cannondale F400 mountain bike and want to put disc brakes on it. The hubs and the frame are disc ready. I want to figure out what brakes are compatible with the existing setup.

The hubs are listed as model Shimano M475. Full specs here:

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/CUSA/model-6FS4.html

I'd be looking for an entry level setup, perhaps mechanical Avids or comparable. I've never had disc brakes ever so don't know too much about them. Is it worth it to get hydraulic disc? I ride in rain/snow, etc for commuter purposes and also off-road when it is warm.

thanks in advance!

Are you talking to me?

Bb-7

Get a pair of BB-7 disc brakes by Avid. They will work great with your existing levers. If you weigh more than 180lb, you might think about a 185mm or 200mm rotor up front. What fork is up front?
    gfy

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The fork is the HeadShok Super Fatty Ultra DL, 80 mm.

Looking at http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Brake+08.aspx , I see a listing for a 203 mm front rotor or a 160 mm rotor. I weigh about 190 so should I go with the 203mm? Which size rotor in rear? They have listings from 140 mm to 203 mm in the back.

Is that all I need to get started? Just a front and rear kit and use my existing levers? What about cables? Are they included with the disc sets?

Is jensonusa the best place to order them from? I've been perusing their website for awhile now but never actually have ordered anything from there.
    Last edited by ksyder; 11-29-2008 at 02:36 PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    BB-7 is a good, economical choice. I wouldn't get any other mechanical disc other than this. Also, use high end cables and housing as the braking is dependent on it. Since you have an XC bike, 160mm rotors should be fine...if you wanted a little extra power go with a 185mm rotor up front.

If you wanted to go with Hydros, the Avid Juicy 5 is a solid, reliable choice for a good price.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have a Cannondale F3 08 that came with Avid Juicy 3's. Easily the worst part of the bike. Front disc just rubs all the time and the back brake screams and vibrates like a stuck pig.

Have heard good thing about the Formula K18 on these forums so that will be my first upgrade. Check them out.