mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Can you set lever engagement point on XTs like on Avids?

I have very small hands, and prefer the engagement point to be farther in. Avid has had the best adjustability for my small hands. I've tried formula, which has a similar engagement point adjustment, but it didn't provide enough adustment for me.

Do Shimano disc brakes allow you to set the engagement point in without messing around with removing flued?

thanks
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer

g3h6o3
    You can adjust reach and "free stroke" on the latest gen Shimano brakes. The free stroke is NOT a bite point adjustment and is generally regarded as useless. The way to adjust bite point on Shimano brakes is to move the pistons inwards by removing the wheel and pulling the lever a couple of times (to your liking).
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Custom Wheelbuilder
    As mentioned, you can adjust the free stroke on the new ones. I have found this isn't super effective though. If you want to adjust reach, you can always try to bleed the brake with the bleed block out of the caliper. This will allow the pistons to slide inboard a slight amount which will make the engagement much tighter than they currently are. Bleeding them isn't too bad either on the new ones seeing as they are an open system.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It sounds like you prefer the engagement (or bite) point to be when you have the lever pulled farthe rin towards the bar? Am I reading that right?

If thats the case, just pull the caliper, push the pistons all the way back in the caliper and remount them. When you pull the lever the first few times they will set themselves out a little bit, but it should have that bite point pretty close to the bar (meaning a long lever pull before engagement).

Most of us actually shoot for the opposite direction, and want a super short throw before engagement. Shimano's new brakes, I have found, are great for doing this. I have used this procedure on all the previous Shimano brakes I have owned. With every one of them, to get the lever throw short enough for my liking I would have to deal with at least a small amount of brake rub. But with the new design, I can set the piston super close to the rotors and have almost instant engagement and not get any brake rub. Its pretty amazing. Just one of the many things that make the new style Shimano brakes, the absolute best I have ever used.

mtbr member
    Maybe I'm missing something here - but as I read it ashwinearl has smaller hands and wants the levers in closer to the bar. In which case all this talk about bite point and re-setting pistons is a red herring because all he needs to do is wind in the knurled adjusters on the new XT levers which adjusts the reach!?!

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthMTB View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here - but as I read it ashwinearl has smaller hands and wants the levers in closer to the bar. In which case all this talk about bite point and re-setting pistons is a red herring because all he needs to do is wind in the knurled adjusters on the new XT levers which adjusts the reach!?!
    The way I read it (and I wasn't sure what the OP wanted...) is that he wanted a lever close to the bar with a short pull. This allows him to reach the lever and not hit the bars when braking.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Correct,

I want the lever to engage closer to the bar. I have more strength with my hand closer to a fist than with the levers engaging farther out. The first methods suggested make the lever engage farther out.

I understand REACH as the starting point for the levers when the are unengaged. Most brakes have an adjustment for that, and with small hands I need to set them far in as well. The setting of the engagement point was one of the selling points of Avid compared to other manufacturers. Formula has an adjustment for it , but it didn't provide nearly as much range as the Avid. I had not seen if Shimano enabled this in a controlled manner, or if it was more ad-hoc with letting some fluid out, or as someone suggested, bleeding without the block in.
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer