mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New question here. Can you run 8" rotors on a Fox Talas?

I saw in the latest issue of Dirt Rag that Specialized is recalling many, if not all, of their Enduro S-Works sleds because of compatibility problems with the 8" rotors and they are replacing them with a 6" disc. (was thinking they came specd with the Talas)

Am I jumping to conclusions here regarding the Talas and 8"ers? Anyone have any experience with this? I have a Talas and I'm looking to go to Avid's mechanicals and have been leaning on the 8"ers or 7s. Thoughts on that as well?
    thx

There's no app for this.

here's the poop

I'd check with Fox on their site too. Jim

http://www.dirtragmag.com/features/n...dex.php?ID=201

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the reply - didn't think of calling Fox - duhhh. Anyway spoke with someone at Fox's customer service, and they said that Specialized is actually doing the recall and not Fox. They said that (I'm pretty sure he said ALL fox shox, but I'm positive regarding the Talas) the Talas was never tested with 8" rotors and is only warrantied up to 6" rotors, and that Specialized went ahead and specd it on a bike with 8" rotors - thus the recall.

So the short of it is, run 8" rotors on your Talas at your own risk, and if something does go wrong you aren't covered via the manf warranty. So - looks like I'm getting 6"ers...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by condoor
    Thanks for the reply - didn't think of calling Fox - duhhh. Anyway spoke with someone at Fox's customer service, and they said that Specialized is actually doing the recall and not Fox. They said that (I'm pretty sure he said ALL fox shox, but I'm positive regarding the Talas) the Talas was never tested with 8" rotors and is only warrantied up to 6" rotors, and that Specialized went ahead and specd it on a bike with 8" rotors - thus the recall.

So the short of it is, run 8" rotors on your Talas at your own risk, and if something does go wrong you aren't covered via the manf warranty. So - looks like I'm getting 6"ers...

I cut this out of the Fox Forx online manual from their website:

Disc brakes with 160-180mm rotors can be used on FOX FORX. Do not use DH rotors larger than 180mm.

I went with Avid 185s, but I guess since I technically am 5mm over their limit, I guess I'm on my own......

Dean

Bodhisattva

Can? Yes. Should? Unknown.

Fox specs their forks to handle rotors up to 1800mm which is 7".

I know some people running rotors up to 210mm and they haven't had any problems, but I wouldn't do it.
    Life....the original terminal illness