Binge Rider

Can you replace Avid Brake Lines?

I've gashed my Avid Juciy 7 brake line (why Specialized runs the line underneath the BB on the Enduro, I won't ever know?) I am wondering if I can replace it with any line or do I have to use an Avid's. I've looked into S.S. but I don't need all that. All I want is to replace it (which Avid's homepage doesn't seem to offer this) and maybe get a different color line, something other than black. Thanks,
    T-Duck

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by T-duck
    I've gashed my Avid Juciy 7 brake line (why Specialized runs the line underneath the BB on the Enduro, I won't ever know?) I am wondering if I can replace it with any line or do I have to use an Avid's. I've looked into S.S. but I don't need all that. All I want is to replace it (which Avid's homepage doesn't seem to offer this) and maybe get a different color line, something other than black. Thanks,
    T-Duck
    You can use Avid hose (I have it in stock if you're having trouble finding it), or Goodridge (which would be the only option for colored ones also). Honestly you may want to re-think the SS hose. The Goodridge lines are quite a bit more expensive, but the hose and fittings are far superior, especially if you have a bike like the Enduro where the line is more easily damaged, (the Goodridge hose is much tougher). Think of it this way, you're already looking at over $20 to replace the current hose, if you damage one more then you've almost spent the price of the Goodridge hose anyway.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Larry, have sent you an IM

Live 2 Ride
    Is there anyway to re-route the brake line to avoid the BB area?
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Binge Rider

Rerouting?

I've seen guys run their lines over the top of the BB where there seat stay and chain stays meet the BB. That may be an option for me but still need to replace them first. I've never had a problem though I knew others have. It was by chance that I clipped a tree truck on a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    Is there anyway to re-route the brake line to avoid the BB area?